Firefighter undergoes emergency surgery



A Newbern fireman underwent emergency surgery at a local hospital Friday after he cut an artery in his leg attempting to gain entry to a burning home in Dublin.

Greg Gravley, public information officer for Dublin Volunteer Fire Department, said the fireman received life-threatening injuries from glass that broke while making a forced entry into the home. The volunteer, whose identity was not released, was listed in stable condition Friday evening, according to Gravley.

Dublin Fire Department was dispatched to 236 West Main St. in Dublin just before 1:30 p.m. for a structure fire. Gravley said the kitchen of the residence was fully engulfed and the rest of the structure was filled with smoke when they arrived on the scene eight minutes after being dispatched.

Flames spread into an adjoining room and into the attic before it could be extinguished.

Besides the serious injury and another minor laceration injury, Gravley said firefighters had to deal with exhausting conditions due to high heat from the flames and humid weather.

The fire, which caused an estimated $70,000 in damage, was caused by unattended cooking oil that was left on a stove, according to Gravley.

Dublin and Newbern fire departments were assisted by Pulaski and Fairlawn fire departments, REMSI, Dublin Police Department and Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office.



You must be logged in to post a comment Login