HPV Vaccine

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Thanks to good deed doer

I won’t even bother to ask if you’ve ever had one of those days where nothing seems to go right. We all have.

If there is anyone who hasn’t, please tell me your secret. I keep trying to figure out how to get rid of that gray cloud that hangs over my head; and I’m not talking about my hair.

I was having one of those days recently, but thanks to a good deed doer there was at least one bright spot in the day.

It all started when I had to go to one of the many doctor’s appointments that crowd my calendar these days. This one was in Blacksburg and I had to be there at 1:45.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough gas to get there and back, so I ran by a local business to get a fill-up. After enduring gusty winds that threatened to rip every gray hair off my scalp, I headed to the check out to pay.

I wrote my $39 check and waited for it to clear so I could head off to Blacksburg. I waited, and waited … and waited.

I was getting worried. I knew I had a very limited amount of cash on me and I had sworn off credit cards years ago. The gas was already in my tank and there weren’t even any dishes I could wash to pay for it.

Another waiting customer and I laughed about the waste of time it was to have brushed our hair that day. I was now getting really worried. I was about to break out in a sweat, if not for the gale-force winds cooling me.

Finally, the employee said the obvious — the register didn’t want to process my check. I went to my car to see if I had enough cash to cover the purchase. Uh oh, I had $35 and not enough change to make up the difference. I contemplated calling dad to see if he could run $4 over to me.

Meanwhile, the clock was ticking away.

I asked the clerk if she could ring up the other waiting customer so the customer wouldn’t have to wait any longer. The clerk already was trying, but that customer’s check wasn’t processing either. A manager was being called to sort out the problem.

It was at least some relief to know it wasn’t just my check that was the problem, but “time’s a wastin’.” It was already after 1 o’clock.

That’s when the other waiting customer came to my rescue so I wouldn’t be late for my appointment. She said she likes to do at least one good deed a day and paying the $4 I was short would be that day’s good deed.

I tried to get her to give me her name and contact information so I could pay her back, but she declined. She pointed out it wouldn’t be a good deed if I paid her back.

I thanked her and headed for Blacksburg, falling in behind the invariable scooter that backed up traffic on Route 114 and threatened to make me late after all. (That’s a whole new column).

But, alas, I made it to the doctor’s office with a few minutes to spare. I checked in and the woman asked, “Did you know your appointment was at 1:15?” She said they would just have to work me in whenever possible. She couldn’t estimate how long it would take.

At this point I was getting pretty peeved. My calendar had reflected the appointment for 1:45 since the day it was made. I was sure that’s when it was supposed to be.

I took a seat and decided to see if I could find my appointment card. Word of advice: It’s a good idea to keep those cards.

I walked up to the check-in counter, held up the card, and asked the woman, “What does that say?”

Let’s just say I didn’t have to wait long to see the doctor.



You must be logged in to post a comment Login