Man’s body found in burning home: House found on fire when police responded to domestic call



Authorities are awaiting the results of an autopsy to determine the cause of death for a man whose body was found inside a burning home on Thaxton Road Tuesday.

Pulaski County Sheriff Jim Davis said emergency dispatchers received a call of “a domestic-related incident” at 4489 Thaxton Road around 2 p.m. When deputies arrived on the scene, they found the older wood-structure home almost fully engulfed in flames.

Davis said officers were told someone was inside the home, so they went to the back door and found it was bolted shut. They kicked in the door, but were unable to enter due to the raging fire. Once firefighters “knocked down” the fire enough that entry could be made, the body of 44-year-old Randall Lee Bryant was found inside.

The body, found in the front area of the house, has been sent to Roanoke for an autopsy to determine whether Bryant died as a result of the fire. Davis said no one else was injured in the incident and he declined to say whether anyone else was at home when the fire started.

According to police radio traffic at the time of the call, a woman called police to say a man was pouring gasoline throughout the house and was getting ready to set it on fire. A short time later, deputies arriving on the scene reported that the house was engulfed.

Davis declined to say how the fire started or comment further on the incident, citing the ongoing investigation. He said the department is working closely with Pulaski Fire Department and the Pulaski Fire Marshall’s office to investigate the case.

Pulaski Fire Chief Bill Webb said more than 32 firefighters from five departments and five emergency services personnel from REMSI responded to the scene. The last units cleared the scene at 6:10 p.m.

Pulaski Fire Department responded with 19 personnel and three pieces of equipment, Webb said. He said Dublin Fire Department brought one piece of equipment and eight firefighters, Draper sent two firefighters, Newbern sent one and Fairlawn sent two people and the air truck to refill air tanks.

REMSI had two rescue units on the scene.




You must be logged in to post a comment Login