Man cleared of attack on daughter-in-law

By CALVIN PYNN and

MELINDA WILLIAMS

Ernest Compton was acquitted Monday of the malicious wounding and strangulation of his daughter-in-law last July.

Compton, a 63-year-old former teacher at Pulaski County High School and New River Community College, was accused of attacking and trying to choke his estranged daughter-in-law, Reba Compton, July 22. The incident occurred shortly after Reba and the defendant’s son, Brett, separated.

According to Compton’s testimony, he was working in his tool shop when Reba arrived upset over the recent separation. He claimed that the woman went into a rage, shouting obscenities and demanding the location of her wedding ring.

He said Reba attacked him, throwing tools and chipping one of his front teeth.

For the rest of this article purchase a copy of the print edition or subscribe to our E-Edition here http://www.etypeservices.com/The%20Southwest%20TimesID108/

Comments

comments

31 Responses to Man cleared of attack on daughter-in-law

1. E.W.Harless

June 12, 2014 at 4:27 pm

The kind of stuff that I am in too is justice and he was found not guilty so get over it and quit your crying.

• Va Girl

June 12, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Harless, you and I have disagreed enough So all I will say is if this man truly abused his daughter in law he deserved to be punished. If she is a “closet B” then I”m glad he’s cleared. I know nothing whatsoever of either party. I just hope justice was truly server because if not the man got away with something he should not have. Again, as someone who had a dad who did family counseling for many years I know how well some people hide their true selves…and I mean from EVERYONE. I say this is possible for EITHER side. The human race is an interesting and crazy thing. Why we see so many stories where a person goes ballistic in the view of those who “knew them”, but in reality they were hiding a problem all along and it finally boiled up out of the pot.

• Cecil

June 13, 2014 at 10:04 am

Harless you must be on the Compton payroll too. Shame on you for supporting this family. Everyone thats not connected to them knows what really happened and to put that man back in the school system would be a HUGE mistake. If he can attack/strangle his daughter n law what might he do to a random student? You are very foolish and i hope that one day you see those people for who they really are.

2. Cecil

June 12, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Kevin Long deserves to be turned in for lieing on the stand. He was not at the residence when this happened to her. He was paid and paid well obviously for him to lie on the stand. Reba Compton is the only victim in this case. If anyone can prove Kevin Longs whereabouts during the time of this incident on July 22, 2013 please turn him in! This does not only affect the life of the woman that was attacked but her two small children of the ages 2 and the other 3 months old. The children will now be allowed to be around the man that tried to take her life when the childrens father gets his SUPERVISED visitation. Yes they may be safe as long as its supervised but how long will it be before the Compton family pays the right people to get unsupervised visitation.

3. E.W. Harless

June 13, 2014 at 7:29 am

(VG)I understand what you are saying and agree to a point. But the only thing I am saying is when you are charged with something the public assumes you are guilty. That is what I have problem with and then when they are found not guilty they still have a problem with it. No one is perfect and I feel if I am in that situation I would hope there would be someone that would stand with me. It is over he was found not guilty and people need to let it rest. All the fine
    people if you agree or not are doing well and have a nice weekend. Spread The Love

4. Cecil

June 13, 2014 at 9:58 am

its amazing how money can influence people to do awful things. 2 paid witnesses and one paid doctor! These people are just as guilty as Earnest Compton and should be turned in for what they have done. Reba was nearly killed as well as her unborn child at the time. She was very lucky to have escaped with her life. Luckily her fetus was not harmed and she was able to give birth to another beautiful baby boy. Reba is a beautiful person inside and out and did not deserve anything that happened to her. Anyone that knows her knows that she is NOT a violent person and always has a smile on her face. I hope and pray that she can stay strong through this horrible experience and lead a normal life for herself and her boys.

5. E.W.Harless

June 13, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I too hope she does well and puts this all behind her. That said I would advise that people be very careful about accusing someone of being paid to lie that could be a court case in it self and a doctor will not put up with that. I see why you wouldn’t state your name. BE CAREFUL

6. Sharon

June 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I don’t know what really happened, but common sense tells you Compton did something to this young lady. His story doesn’t add up! I feel sorry for Reba because I doubt justice prevailed here.

7. Thats Right

June 13, 2014 at 1:41 pm

This family is just like the Harrell story – they don’t care what they do to people or how they treat them, because life is all about them. That goes for Harrell too!

8. E.W.Harless

June 13, 2014 at 4:19 pm

This is my last comment on this because I am tired of beating this dead horse. The Comptons are good people and I am glad that it turned out OK for them. The ones I really feel sorry are the people that get on here and say all this stuff when they no nothing. The man was found not guilty, his son was found not guilty so too everyone reading NOT GUILTY and as the song says DON’T WORRY BE HAPPY. Think I’ll call up the Comptons and see if they would like to go get some ice cream.

• Sharon

June 13, 2014 at 4:36 pm

You have a right to voice your opinion, and so do I. Don’t be so sure that I know nothing.

• Cecil

June 13, 2014 at 5:55 pm

go ahead and get that icecream Harless im sure they will pay for that too!

9. concerned parent

June 13, 2014 at 5:52 pm

According to PCHS Compton will return next year as Electricity Instructor. My son will not be finishing Electricity (which he plans on making his career) because of this. I urge all parents and concerned citizens to contact PCHS Principal Mike Grimm at 540-643-0747 and let him know how you feel.

10. Kelly

June 13, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Someone should come forward and call the Sheriff’s Office if they know Kevin Long lied. This poor girl should get justice for the attack on her. Bill S if you can prove he was with you and you don’t call you will have to live with that.
    I think people in this community needs to step up for what is right. I am not going to get on here and call names and say what great people they are and step up on a high horse like some of these people are knowing that they to have a secret past.
    Do what is right Bill S.

• Va Girl

June 14, 2014 at 8:25 am

Kelly, the Sheriff’s Office has nothing to do with court proceedings or their outcome. Not sure how lying in court would be handled or by who…but likely not them.

Anyone know how that would be charged (if it’s true)? Commonwealth Attorney? Lawyer or private investigator? I’ve no idea on that one.