Coal executive to represent Democrats in 38th District

With no other Democrats filing by Tuesday’s 5 p.m. deadline, a coal company executive will represent the Democrats in an Aug. 19 special election to fill former Senator Phillip Puckett’s 38th District seat.

As a result, tonight’s planned mass meeting in Bluefield (Va.) is canceled.

“As a third generation coal miner and an executive with the James River Coal Co., Mike Hymes is the best candidate to protect our coal workers, coal jobs, and our way of life,” said Brian Hieatt, 38th District Democratic Chairman. “Democrats, Republicans and independents are really excited about having a true friend of coal running for this seat.”

Born in Bluefield, W.Va., Hymes spent his early years in a coal camp in Bishop before his family moved to Tazewell.

Hymes’ father and grandfather were coal miners. He worked in mines himself in McDowell County, W.Va. before becoming corporate director of human resources with James River Coal Co.

Hymes was elected to Tazewell County Board of Supervisors in 2006. He was re-elected in 2009 and 2013.

Puckett recently resigned from the Senate seat he held for 16 years, citing family reasons. His resignation resulted in passage of a state budget, but stalled Democrats’ efforts to expand Medicaid.

Comments

comments

24 Responses to Coal executive to represent Democrats in 38th District

1. Whole E. Cow

June 20, 2014 at 11:05 am

Mr. Hieatt needs to get a grip on something called the TRUTH, and stop spinning the democratic “WAR ON COAL”. Talk is cheep and actions effect peoples lives. If he thinks that any coal miners that want there jobs back or the very few that still dig are going to support the democrats that have destroyed the coal mining industry he is fooling himself. I know of no republican that would ever support Mr. Hymes and the democrats for any reason now. And I know and have met thousands. I was at the republican mass meeting in Tazewell Va. where Ben Chafin was overwhelming nominated to run against Mr. Hymes in the upcoming special election Aug. 19 2014. There was a record crowd there of over 850 persons. All are over the democrats and there “WAR ON COAL” I firmly believe that the coal miners, past and present will NOT support any of the democratic positions on the killing of coal. Toughs fine folks shall not be played for fools. Fool me once, hum. But twice. You are done!!! If anyone does not believe me talk to a former coal miner who is starving to death because of the democratic “WAR ON COAL”. So, democrats keep spewing the spin and see what you get.

2. jtm

June 20, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Doesn’t matter if you get a Democrat or a Republican in office.
    The reason there is less jobs is because the coal mining equipment is more efficient and they need less workers.
    You really think the coal executives give a rats behind on anything any republican or democrat can do?
    I say not.
    They are raking in more profits by working less people. They are happy cause they are making more money.
    Anyone that believes there is any “War on Coal” then you have your head firmly planted where the sun doesn’t shine.
    Good luck with this one while blaming someone else other than profit loving coal mine owners.

3. jtm

June 20, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I want to add one more thing to this.
    Natural gas is cheaper and is taking over as a viable source alternative to coal.

Need to stop making this political, and look at the real reasons coal jobs are being lost.

One side or the other is always trying to stir the other up and get their place at the table. Stop the madness!

• Whole E. Cow

June 20, 2014 at 10:49 pm

jtm, You did not hear our fearless leader launch his war on coal in the 2007-08 campaign. Do you really think that the people in coal country are still going to fall for the total BS and all out lies the left is spewing out of their mouths? The coal miners are not as stupid as you think, go talk to them. We need to use ALL of our energy sources. Coal, gas, solar, wind, water, and atomic. Mr. Obama is a socialist commie, and will go down in history as such. If they do not impeach him for dereliction of duty it will be a miracle of biblical proportions. The country is in shambles, and all we have is a bad golf player out of this. The left say’s George Bush was bad. This man is a total shame. I want the left to run Hillary, I hope they do. She is even goofier than what we have now. So bring it on lefties. America is mad and we are just not going to take it anymore. O and did you see that Mr. Hymes is the HR for a coal company named James River Coal. That’s just great. Upper management of a dyeing company running for the State Senate. Do you really think the miners are going to vote for that? I know for a fact they will not. I have been there and had many conversations with the people that live this horror every day. I know these people personally and they are very upset at what the left has done to them. I advise you not to have you Obama sticker on your car if you go there.

• Whole E. Cow

June 21, 2014 at 11:55 pm

jtm, I am sure you recall Mr. Obama stating his position on coal in the 2008 election. I do. It is of my opine that it was made political by the democrats then. With that being known for a fact, don’t you think the republicans should use what he said for stating “Stop The War On Coal”? Can you blame people for defending their livelihoods and way of life. Coal mining is all they know. They still dig a small amount of coal, just the majority of it goes to China. I see it go by Dublin on rail every week.

4. James B

June 20, 2014 at 4:31 pm

JTM is exactly right. The major reason that coal is a dying industry is that the price of natural gas is so much cheaper than coal that AEP and other major users of coal are switching to gas. You would think that a Republican like Cow (above)would understand competition, but it is clear that Whole E Cow is a moron since he does not know the difference between “there” and “their.” When he used “there” the first time I thought it was a typo, but when he used it incorrectly in the same post a second time, I knew he was an idiot.

• Whole E. Cow

June 20, 2014 at 10:01 pm

James B, sorry for the mistakes I made. I can assure you I am no idiot. I graduated from Duke in 1978. I received my B.S. degree from the number three medical school on the planet. I do not use my education that much anymore for I am semi-retired and some times I do admit I make mistakes. But it very apparent you are one of the left’s finest Mr. Perfect. Typical liberal name calling. Where did you go to collage. I bet it was online. Even a V.T. grad. does not revert to name calling.

• VTHokie

June 23, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Being a VT grad, I understand that your BS didn’t come from a medical school. However that undergraduate BS may be from Duke University, which is a seperate entity, apart from Duke University Medical School.

• Whole E. Cow

June 24, 2014 at 9:39 am

Hi VTHokie, back in the 70′s renal dialysis was just getting started and Duke was on the cutting edge. I went my four years at the med school and received a B.S. degree in renal med. They were trying to get people out in the field and when I got out I was put in a renal dialysis unit in Guilford Co. as the director. It was blood, gore, death back then and I really had issues with that. 100k and 4 years for really nothing. I only lasted 4.5 years in that position. It was so mentally tasking people burned out quick. Collage has change in the past 40 years, or at least I sure hope so. I did have a lot of great times there and I do remember some of the 70′s. LOL

• VTHokie

June 24, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for the eudcation, it is always good to learn something new. However, did you really have to knock VT? Go Hokies!

5. jtm

June 23, 2014 at 11:51 am

Sorry James B, but I have to agree with Whole E Cow on the misspelling. Common mistake. Focus on the issue.

Whole E, if Obama should be impeached, why shouldn’t have GW? We went to war with a country because of a lie. Not only was that deceitful, but against the ten commandments that the right uses as a platform. I have to ask you to do the same. Focus on the issue. The issue being, there is no war on coal. It is being used as a political grand stand for both sides. Just look at the senatorial races in Kentucky and West Virginia as a prime example. Both sides are claiming there is a war on coal. To me its simply saying what you need to say to win the votes. No matter the side.

And I know you have Benghazi on your lips. I can feel it. Ok, why were those Americans more important than the men and women we lost in the war we started over a lie???????? Why aren’t you asking for questions to be answered on that one? Is it simply because you didn’t vote for Obama and you don’t like him? Fine, then say that. But don’t stick your head in the sand and act like there hasn’t been mistakes made on both sides. Again, its an issue that is being generated for votes.

Two things I don’t get about American politics. The left side promises change, and then won’t stick to their guns when they have the chance. The right claims to be “anti-government” but on issues that affect the American people, they want government to tell me what to do. I don’t get that.

We could fix a lot of issues with some very simple steps.
    1. no matter what you make, we all pony up the same amount to the pie. Let’s just say 10% of your wages every month. Could wipe out the deficit in no time, and have surplus for uh oh situations.
    2. with that surplus, hire more capacity to monitor and catch people that are abusing the welfare system. we all know there are some on it that don’t belong on it. so give those people the help they need to catch those people.
    3. stop listening to what “they” say. “they” usually have money involved in the issue and “they” only start bad rumors to make sure they don’t lose money out of their pocket. ie. NRA, coal executives, insurance companies, etc. etc. you get the picture
    4. if it isn’t your business and it doesn’t affect you personally, mind your own business. you don’t have a dog in the hunt, then leave it be. you are just stirring the pot to stir the pot

Common sense can go a long way. My top 4 is just that. Common sense!

JTM

• Whole E. Cow

June 24, 2014 at 10:20 am

jtm, words of wisdom to you. there are four things everyone will need shortly, Food, Water Guns & Ammo. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when this country will implode on it’s self. Take a long hard look at what’s going on around you. The monetary system is in deep trouble. Left and Right are both to blame. Both spend our money like it’s water and that does affect me personally. I will stir the pot and scream out loud till someone hears me. The left voted a majority to go to war too. W let them read the same intelligence reports he did. That means the CIA & NSA are to blame for Iraqi war. At least W gave the military the tools and support they needed to put up a fight. Which is now all for not. Benghazi was a duck shoot. Then O made up some bull butter story about it. All in the name of reelection. The extremist are coming to a city near you, again. Surprise, Surprise. Thank your lucky stars you are a leftie, can you say IRS. Don’t you just love this wonderful CHANGE. It makes life so exciting.

6. Whole E. Cow

June 24, 2014 at 3:01 pm

VTHokie, It’s all in fun, Hokies tease us and we tease back. If Virginia Tech had a med school then I would been proud to have went there. My point was that the educated people don’t revert to name calling!

7. jtm

June 24, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Whole E, I really don’t have anything to say what you just said. How do you retort to that level of paranoia?

I don’t live in fear. Sorry that you do. Must be agonizing to live that way. I don’t have much of a say in how I leave this earth. Hope its from natural causes. I have lived 45 years without the need of a gun for protection, and I think I can live safely the next 45 without one also. (I don’t go around in life making people mad enough to shoot me) Plus, we have police to take care of issues that need weapons. If someone wants to take my life for something I own or may own, most likely I would never have the opportunity to defend myself even if had 10 weapons on my side. Those criminals are the sneaky sort you know.

Your extreme views of the world are the ones we need to be careful of, because in my opinion you are the ones that fire, aim and shoot. Lots of innocent people get hurt that way.

I pray for peace in your life! Sounds like you need it!

8. Va Girl

June 25, 2014 at 9:49 am

Seems to be a war going on right here actually. Goodness me!

I’m siding with Mr. Cow and think jtm is going to get a nasty slap of reality when the mess that is about to befall our country comes to pass.

• Whole E. Cow

June 25, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Va Girl, I thought I was one of the only people that lived in reality around here. The left seems to let some else defend them. When seconds count law enforcement is only mins. away. Sometimes in the course of human events one must stand up for ones self. I feel assured that if Mr. Hymes gets to Richmond he will vote for our governors policies every time. I feel firearms will be on his agenda. I prefer to keep mine. jtm, I have had extreme firearms training. I am talking about the kind that let’s you and the left wing sheepople sleep snug in your beds at night. I have been there, done it, got the t-shirt and hat. So rest easy in your little cushy world. I fear NOTHING, for I can defend myself and toughs around me at any given moment. You never know, I my have to defend you one day. And would with out a second thought. Because I love people, and no human being shall harm another with malice. I don’t care what their political views are. You speak of peace, go to the war zones known as Detroit, Chicago, LA. Get some of that peace. Be ready, it’s on it way. In some ways it’s already here. I am not paranoid, even if they are out to get us all.LOL

• Va Girl

June 25, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I will defend myself and my family at all costs and hope to God I never have to.

9. jtm

June 25, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Some of those “feels” you keep talking about have been felt for many many years.

The world has been ending since it was started. Why worry over something you can’t control anyway.

Besides I am debating with Cow, not have a war.

Defend away! :)

10. Va Girl

June 25, 2014 at 7:50 pm

jtm, no one is “worrying”. You assume incorrectly if you are accusing me of such a thing. To me owning a gun is like having car, home, or health insurance. There if you need it but best if never needed.

I’m confused about your “defend away” comment. WTH is that supposed to mean? That you would not defend your own family? Or that I should go out vigilante or something? Totally agree with MR. Cow and take it a step further to say I find your posts rather offensive actually. You seem very, impressed with your own opinions.

• Whole E. Cow

June 26, 2014 at 12:54 pm

VaGirl, You must remember who you are debating with. jtm is a brainwashed walk the Obama line liberal. They are right and you are a stupid right wing bible thumping nut. Everyone of them are just like that. Unfortunately I have met and made many mad with facts. Big government, tax and spend, take the weapons, head in sand, march to the liberal band. The only problem is that they do not even know they are not democrats, they are Socialist Commies. Socialist are just Commie lite. And boy do they get P.Oed when you tell them that fact. They want this to be the United Socialist States of America. U.S.S.A.
      Does that sound very much like something we have see before. “U.S.S.R.”. Did not work then and will fail again. Just keep the faith and keep voting. If we do not prevail we can kiss this country good- bye, and march to the Marxist drummer. So we will see if Southwest Va. Wants a walk the line socialist commie or a fair and just man of the people for the open senate seat.

• Va Girl

June 26, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Mr. Cow you are right. I tend to forget some people are already full-fledged socialist with heavy communist leanings (or worse).