Wounding plea draws prison term

A 53-year-old man will serve more than six years of a 20-year prison term after pleading guilty Monday to stabbing another man almost a dozen times last July.

According to prosecutors, Deane Anthony Wall stabbed Toby Andrew Ratcliffe 11 times with a knife after they became involved in an argument in a “homeless camp” in a wooded area off Route 99 (in the 600 block of East Main Street) in Pulaski July 18.

For the rest of this article purchase a copy of the print edition or subscribe to our E-Edition here http://www.etypeservices.com/The%20Southwest%20TimesID108/

Comments

comments

13 Responses to Wounding plea draws prison term

1. concerned citizen

May 20, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Why in the h*** does Pulaski have a “homeless camp” Doesn’t the town do anything for the people?

• Really?

May 20, 2014 at 6:13 pm

To answer your question, the Town does not have a homeless camp. Are there homeless in Pulaski? Yes! Is it Town run or the Towns responsibility? No! What happened to an individual taking responsibility for their actions and decisions? Guess you are a OBAMA fan and think everyone is entitled to handouts? Specifically the people that trespass in the area they call the “homeless camp” have been assisted numerous times over the YEARS and continue to CHOSE to live that way. They drink all day when they beg for enough money from citizens along E. Main Street (who give it to them just to keep them away). When they get enough for their bottle, they retire to the woods drink it and throw the bottle down and return to the store. If you were to walk back there as I have had the misfortune to do you would see what they have done to the environment with their bottles and trash. Go behind Wilco on E. Main. My question to you is what do you do for your fellow man? Can’t you go down there and offer them a meal, place to stay, and some money. Or better yet, you can probably assist them with picking up the tons of liter along peak creek? Yeah, its the towns fault! Open your eyes and take some responsibility yourself. I have to work all day while they sleep in, walk the streets, and drink all day? Then you want me to give them a handout? There are people in true need and I would give the shirt off my back, but a handout for them to not have to work. I think not. It is not the governments fault they chose that path.

• Really?

May 21, 2014 at 6:10 am

CC are you blaming the town for citizens that trespass on private property to drink all day while others work to support them? Let’s cut the political correctness and call it like it is. I know the ones that have been discussed in these so called “homeless camps”. Do they need help? Yes! Substance abuse with alcohol and such. Do they want help? No! They spend their day walking and sitting around town soliciting money to purchase a cheap bottle of alcohol and then retire to the woods and drink it. They discard the bottle in the woods and go back out and do it again. Go behind Wilco and look at the wood line. Bottles and trash everywhere. Years of this revolving circle that ends up in Peak Creek. I don’t think it is fair to blame the Town for their life choices and decisions. I would think the more appropriate question since you are a “concerned citizen” is what do you as a CITIZEN do to help? Only thing I see is you blaming others or the Government? Can’t you go find them and offer a meal, place to stay, money, and help them in their daily trash clean up? Get off the entitlement train and start making people take responsibility for their own actions. Stop blaming the Government and do something other than complain.

• Anonymous

May 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Maybe the town that cost these people their jobs could provide them with something better than living in the woods behind Wilco? I’m pretty sure they don’t “choose to live that way”.

• Really?

May 22, 2014 at 6:34 am

Please enlighten me on how the TOWN cost people their jobs? I do agree that certain decisions made by Town Council have had a negative impact on our economics. If I remember correctly, Wal-Mart wanted to build across the street from the existing building and Former Mayor Stewart’s vote (broke the tie)denied it. As I understand it, he didn’t want it in his backyard and then he moved out of town. As citizens, it is our responsibility to get involved and know what our government officials are voting on and how it is going to impact us. Very little turn out to most ALL government meetings and everyone just wants to complain. There is a public comment period at council meetings?? Again, stop blaming others and ask yourself what have you done? Are you involved? Do you know who your Mayor and Council Members are? I am tired of seeing everyone blame others when you have a responsibility as a CITIZEN. Furthermore, I do know the individuals that live/lived in the woods and I would love to know where they worked before losing their job? I have known them for YEARS and have never known them to work a day! YES, they chose to live that way! We have come to a point where we have more people receiving handouts than working and paying into it and tell me how that math works out? Go check the HUD housing in Town and see if most of them living off the working citizens dime is within reason doing what they can to better themselves? Most I say not….they party, allow others to stay and party, have more and more babies (end up on the same system). Welfare has become a employment option. Go into the Valley and look at the able body 20-30 year olds walking around after they sleep in till noon. They stay up all night and have no problem having CASH for cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, and cell phones.

• Va Girl

May 22, 2014 at 8:44 am

The TOWN cost them their jobs? That’s unlikely. Folks lose jobs when companies lay off or leave mostly due to the economy. They downsize or take the work to a country where the product can be made at a lower cost. Then of course many homeless people have serious alcohol or drug addictions.

My husband and I make a decent living here because we’ve worked our tails off and kept out of trouble and off drugs or excess of alcohol. We know a number of people we grew up with that simply never had the drive to do anything. Some have substance abuse problems and others do not, but in both situations they still have no ambition.

Don’t blame the town. It’s not the root of the problem. Too many Americans these days seem to be less willing to obtain anything by the “sweat of their brow”. Another issue are people who choose to live way, above their means and then lose everything because they cannot pay. That’s not the town’s fault at all.

2. rkofan4life

May 20, 2014 at 9:19 pm

AMEN….

3. Lola

May 21, 2014 at 9:04 am

Really? for President!!! His platform is personal responsibility!!

4. lookin back

May 21, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I remember growing up here and we had people that laid drunk around the creeks and bridges. But what has changed is the lack of leadership from the local government ,they want to milk you for ever dime and what is here to show for it…a new meth headquarters, no really good jobs, and beggars coming to your home time after time wanting to work for money so they can get a fix, I’am 44 years old and when I was growing up here we had Pulaski furniture, Renfro , Hecks ,roses , pool halls, two game rooms, movie theater, skate rink ,car dealers, Heilig- Meyers ,lee jeans….etc etc…some of these people your talking about probably had jobs at one of these places and probably a house to get drunk in instead of the woods..I was told along time ago by someone on the chamber of commerse that a select few prefer that Pulaski be a retirement community. Well I guess money talks and the poor gets whats left..so in closing ,these people should clean up the trash and try to do better for themself but the town needs to clean there act up also and put our so-called tax money into reviving this town so we’ll have jobs and a future.. jobs=revenue=growth=more people happy.. just saying

5. concerned citizen

May 22, 2014 at 11:12 am

Exactly! Pulaski looks like crap and something needs to be done about that. I never said we should support the non working drunks/ drug addicts…

6. concerned citizen

May 22, 2014 at 11:26 am

Who would want to retire there?

7. Dont judge !

June 1, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I read these comment as my heart breaks NO ONE chose’s to be homeless Each one of you who judged these people should be ashamed of them selves If you knew anything about homeless people you wouldnt judge them It can happen to any one of us at any point in time in our lives If you check your facts there are a lot of past rich CEO’s etc. who have lost everything and became homeless Yes some turn to drugs and drinking and depression Does that give us a right to judge them NO ! We should all thank God for what we have and pray for these people Prayer goes along way Judgement doesnt There is a answer and a a way to help if everyone decides it wasnt just their problem Its a community problem and we need a community answer

8. m.albert

June 3, 2014 at 2:47 am

Really? How do you expect these people to get a job? They have no address they have no phone number they have no way to get to a job and how would they ever be able to make a resume or do anything that it takes to get employment. You talk about not giving them a hand out but no one would hire them.So in your “perfect” world tell me how would they get a job?I dont understand why some people are so cold hearted. No “well” person would ever want this kind of life. These people are sick and in need of help. Its hard enough for working people to afford any kind of medical treatment. Alcoholism is a disease and with no one or no where to turn to how in the world are these people to get help? Its disgusting to hear how some of you people have no compassion for these human beings, it makes me sick to hear you judge them.Lets just hope that all you perfect people never need any help.