Pulaski police cars receiving makeover

When lights hit the vehicles at night, they’re reflective graphics, right, make them more visible.

Pulaski Police Department’s patrol vehicles are taking on a new look — one that will be hard to miss at night.

According to Capt. Anthony Meredith, it’s been about 20 years since vehicles in the Uniform Patrol Division have had a makeover. As a matter of fact, the existing design was implemented under the tenure of Chief Herb Cooley.

Under the new design scheme, the patrol vehicles include highly reflective graphics that enhance their visibility at night.

Cpl. Sarah Riggins has the pleasure of being assigned the first vehicle bearing the new design. Others will take on the new look as vehicles are replaced with newer models through attrition. Meredith said two more vehicles are scheduled to receive the new design, along with the Dodge Durango used by the Crime Prevention program.

The new look was selected through a department vote on designs submitted by officers. The winning submission required a few modifications, but the department worked with Signarama in Christiansburg to achieve the final design.

Meredith expressed gratitude to Signarama owner Kevin Altizer for “excellent customer service in making the new transition.”

Comments

comments

46 Responses to Pulaski police cars receiving makeover

1. Whole E. Cow

May 21, 2014 at 10:15 pm

The police nationwide are just revenue generators. Think about it, drug bust. Well if drugs were illegal the would not be in this country. Let’s see, o that’s right they FINE the person, slap on wrist and of they go again. Speeding and traffic fines through the roof. $94.00 for a expired inspection sticker, really. Defend your rights, and off to jail you go. Just say a little some smart to a cop, you will find out. Most harass and intimidate, they have a badge, a gun, and hot rod car. As they said in Blazing Saddles “badges, we don’t need no stinking badges”.
    I personally do not and will not call 911 for “law enforcement”.

• Pulaski Citizen

May 22, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Good. Don’t. Less ungrateful crap they have to deal with. And last time I checked….the Police dont set the fines OR jail time. Go read about the branches of the government. You must have slept through that lesson.

• dlp

May 25, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Sounds like you just got a ticket……

2. roseanna

May 21, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I think the cars look great, but instead of the police trying to look good I agree with some of the comments, get out and do your job. Another thing I would like to see all policeofficers in the town and the county leave their cars at the Department,they take their cars as far as Fairlawn and work in Pulaski, how smart is this?This would be a great way to make money. Leave all cars at the department and make the officers drive their own cars to work. You don’t have to tell me anything because I know a man that works at the Radford Police Dept and he drives his own vehicle to work and then drives the police car.

• Lola

May 22, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Some police departments have a policy that allows for take home cars. It allows the officer to be visible in their own communities. Some cities even offer incentives for officers to buy in certain neighborhoods because they like the visibility.
      As for your comment “I think the cars look great, but instead of the police trying to look good I agree with some of the comments, get out and do your job” Are you saying they can’t have a good look for the cars and do their job? I know many hard working police officers and am very thankful that they do a job I certainly wouldn’t want to do.

• Now that's funny

May 22, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I have no problem for local town cops taking cars home. The problem is if said cop lives in fair lawn or Salem city that’s some where between 40-80 miles a day round trip. Figure rear drive police cars with heavy cages in the back and equipment they get around 20 mpg. $3 a gallon that’s roughly 6-12 dollars a day. If they only work 5 days a week that is 30-60 dollars a week. 52 weeks a year that’s $1,560-$3120 in fuel. Add extra care and work for the 10400-20800 miles a year added to the vehicles and quickly that number jumps another amount with a comma in it. So is the viability of a Pulaski town car on 114 peppers ferry worth $3,000+- a year?

• tammy lytton

May 25, 2014 at 10:34 am

I agree with the cars being left at dept but this is also a problem with county cars taken home and seen them driving around not in unoform with spouses in cars..We have to drive our own vehicles to work..This would save alot of tax dollars.. Also reinforce the skateboarders all over sidewalks..Have seen several times them almost running into pedestrians on sidewalks..Clean up our town…The older cops are great new young ones need to do job and loose the attitudes..

• Lola

May 27, 2014 at 8:32 am

Yes, we have to drive our cars to work but most of us don’t work with a target strapped to us. Of all the ridiculous things our tax dollars are used for, I find it hard to complain about this. BTW, I think you want them to lose the attitude. If they loose it, you would complain.

• Va Girl

May 27, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Did it ever occur to you whiners that police are on call 24/7? They can be called at ANY time to come on duty. Day, night, holiday, sunny weather, freaking blizzard, tornado….you name it and if the are fortunate enough to have a cruiser at their residence they can go IMMEDIATELY to the scene rather than drive to the station first to grab a vehicle. Not like their personal vehicles are equipped with everything they need to be on the job. Geez.

3. concerned citizen

May 22, 2014 at 11:21 am

They had a confession on the Cole murder from the father. Would like to hear more about the mothers involvement but they need to have a case to convict them both. Pray for justice!

4. who cares???

May 22, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Why is this even a story ? Who cares about any of this ? Get A Life!

5. Valorie

May 23, 2014 at 8:23 am

While some of you are whining and complaining and calling the police traffic cops and militia and yes I understand free speech, but really I’ve seen some ignorant comments and wow we have a swat team, why wouldn’t we? All because the Police dept are having some cars made over “mind you not new cars” for their safety and ours. This police militia you speak about I don’t think I’ve ever seen them, but I have seen Police officers doing their job to keep our community safe, and yes even the people who complain and call them the militia they protect you as well. So how about giving them a break.

6. unknown

May 24, 2014 at 1:24 am

they need to spend some money to attract and bring in some new businesses to this dead sleepy town fix the nearly ready to fall over 1920′s buildings

7. dlp

May 25, 2014 at 10:51 pm

The police department getting new striping and insignia on their patrol cars caused this!!! 20 yrs to get a new look and this is the response frombthe community…..wtf!

8. Andrew Belcher

May 27, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I see no issue with the new car makeover. If you notice Pulaski Sherrifs Dept. Also changed there markings. If you pay attention a lot of departments are changing. As far as them taking a car home, I think it’s a great thing. I think all law enforcement should do it. Why? Because these men and women risk there life everyday to protect us. They are underpaid and over worked. It makes a good bonous for them not to have to have the wear and tear on there personal cars.

9. Town Resident

May 30, 2014 at 10:46 am

I think they look great and every time I have ever had a need to call the Town Police, they have been very responsive and very informative. Does the town need some new life…yes it does…does putting a new look on town Police cars prevent that, not at all. Not speculating at all as to where the money came from, not in the least concerned about it either…and yes I was one of the few that made an effort to vote in town elections; that is where residents should be ashamed…poor voter turnout.