Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Illness claims life of DMS student

Parents of Pulaski County Public School students received a message today around 12:23 p.m. that an illness had affected a student in the area. Since the release of that message, it has been confirmed that a Dublin Middle School student has passed away due to complications from the illness.

Thomas Brewster, superintendent of Pulaski County Public Schools said in a statement similar to the initial message parents received: “We have been in contact with the New River Health District concerning an isolated illness affecting one of our families. The direction given by the NRHD was to monitor any of our students running a fever, and send them home with the recommendation for the child to see their family physician.  Again, preliminary information indicates that this illness is isolated to one family. We have not received confirmation as to the cause of their illness, but we are taking steps to assure our schools are safe.”

After the message was sent out, Brewster added that the information that was released to parents in the message was very challenging to relay because so much of the information the school board was receiving was unconfirmed. He did say, however, that after personally speaking with the family and the schools, he feels confident that the rest of the students in the area are safe.

As a precaution, anyone with severe or unusual symptoms such as headaches, neck pain, or fever is encouraged to immediately consult their family physician or visit an emergency room.

Brewster added that counselors will be on hand at Dublin Middle School and Snowville Elementary School to offer grief counseling for students.

The Southwest Times will be continuing to follow this story and will update the information as it is made available.

Comments

comments

9 Responses to Illness claims life of DMS student

  1. Sandra Volk

    April 25, 2014 at 4:16 pm

    I understand that the parents of this child are now in the hospital.

    • Alexa

      April 25, 2014 at 8:59 pm

      The mother and the little sister passed. I was one of her friends.

  2. Angela Conner

    April 25, 2014 at 7:53 pm

    So sorry that we have lost a child and her mother, my God be with the family, and I ask god to protect everyone that no one else gets sick. To the ones in the hospital i pray they get better

  3. Va Girl

    April 26, 2014 at 7:29 am

    Other sites are reporting the illness to be hantavirus caused by exposure to mouse urine.

    I feel badly for this family. All they were doing was cleaning out an abandoned trailer. Who’d think twice about doing so? I wouldn’t have. This tragic story may save others in the long run…especially since it’s “spring cleaning” season.

    We bought a home last summer with a mouse infected garage. My husband said “first thing we must do is gut that building to bare walls”. He had us wear face masks every time we walked into it to work. For me…I’d no clue the danger, but he did. Most folks have no idea cleaning up after mice could be fatal. Now I understand why he wanted the walls and ceiling bare and every shred of insulation gone before we did anything else to the property.

  4. Trent

    April 26, 2014 at 5:13 pm

    I am sure God will put a protective barrier over everyone and keep them safe.

  5. louise

    April 26, 2014 at 10:23 pm

    The father and the others in the hospital have been given high dishes of a medication and they are going to be fine. This family has no money. I don’t know who will start collecting money but they need our help.

    • PC Parent

      April 28, 2014 at 7:33 am

      Louise – Snowville Baptist Church has started collecting money for the family, as has the Snowville Volunteer Fire Department. I’m sure you could contact either of these places and they will be happy to take the donation for the family.

      Not only does this family need the help of the community but they also need our prayers.

  6. Casper

    April 27, 2014 at 6:58 pm

    Beyond all the emotional pain this family will endure their bills will be astronomical. I wonder if they have medical insurance?

  7. PC Alumnist

    April 29, 2014 at 12:07 am

    In order to help with finances for the Simpkins family, area musicians including school musicians (DMS/PMS/PCHS) band/choir should perform a special concert for the community with a five dollar admission charge which will go into a fund for the Simpkins family.

    It’s so great to see Pulaski Countians coming together as one, and helping with what has been a frightening moment for the community. Snowville Fire Department has done a tremendous job with a dinner last Saturday as well as other organizations and individuals seeking ways in assisting.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login