Harrell gets new charge: bond revoked

Harrell, Angelia Paige-1By MELINDA WILLIAMS

A new charge prompted a Pulaski County judge Friday to revoke the bond of Angelia Paige Harrell, who is accused of embezzling from the high school cheerleading program.

Special prosecutor Erin DeHart requested the bond revocation as the result of a new felony shoplifting charge filed against Harrell in Prince William County April 13. The new charge came less than three weeks after Circuit Court Judge Marcus Long Jr. required Harrell to post a $25,000 surety bond as the result of a Jan. 10 felony shoplifting charge in Arlington County.

DeHart pointed out the circumstances alleged in the latest charge are similar to those alleged in the January incident.

According to DeHart, Prince William County prosecutors allege Harrell shoplifted $688 worth of clothing from Kohl’s in that county April 13. Authorities contend Harrell concealed clothing under a baby blanket in the bottom of her child’s stroller, in the seat behind her child and in some zippered compartments.

For the rest of this article purchase a copy of the print edition or subscribe to our E-Edition here http://www.etypeservices.com/The%20Southwest%20TimesID108/

Comments

comments

78 Responses to Harrell gets new charge: bond revoked

1. formerscrewedoverstudent

May 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Its not cause of color alumni its because her fiance works for the president. Its all about who ya know

• andrew farmer

May 3, 2014 at 9:03 am

Actually, he works for the federal government. You people speak so ridiculously as if you know anything about him. He doesn’t have any pull or authority like that. He’s also simply a technician. The continuance is due to the hiring of a good attorney and changes in circumstance. Please don’t comment without basic knowledge of what you’re saying.

• Unbelievable

May 10, 2014 at 9:35 am

Formerscwedoverstudent, you are an idiot. He is a civil servant, like hundreds of others, who are assigned to the overall protection of the President. Trust me, the President has no idea who Parks is. Given his current assignment, parks has no access, contact, or communication with the President or anyone from his staff. Parks isn’t much more than a glorified security guard truth be told. There is absolutely no interference from Washington in this petty small town, backwards Va case.

2. andrew farmer

May 1, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Also, I wonder why nearly every comment I make in defense of myself and others is constantly awaiting moderation while the others fly through with ease. Hard to believe a “newspaper” would wish to censor one side of the argument.

• Lola

May 2, 2014 at 11:47 am

Each comment is held for reivew. You can’t see those waiting for moderation except for your own. You aren’t being targeted or censored. I think you over estimated the importance of your posts.

• andrew farmer

May 3, 2014 at 11:12 am

Yes, I realize it. But its curious how some comments made later show up, and others never do. Not even moderation, they just vanish. No curse words or anything, just gone.

3. No Sympathy

May 2, 2014 at 3:12 am

“Get her help”?!? She knew what she was doing stealing all of that money and shoplifting. Yes, we all make mistakes in life, but to continue to steal after being on bond was just a way for little Miss Angie to see how much she could get away with. Luckily, she won’t get away with anymore. I really find all of this to be a big slap of karma in Angie’s face. People like her don’t benefit from help. They are too self absorbed to realize that they have done anything wrong. You see, I have sat across from Angie in her former office at Pulaski County High School needing help, but got NONE. I am sure I am not the only person she failed to put any effort towards helping. I am sure those sores on her face aren’t from anything other than meth. Her little smirk of “I am better than you” is not going to get her far in the New River Valley Regional Jail, either. I just hope her children and her family don’t lose everything from her selfishness.

4. Pulaski Resident

May 2, 2014 at 10:22 am

Hey guys, let’s cut Andrew Farmer some slack here. He’s not defending Ms. Harrell in any way. He’s asking that you take into account that her inlaws are innocent in this matter. Many people hide addictions and all sorts of issues from their families and extended families. Let’s not crucify this family for someone elses’ issue or error in judgement or their guilt.

I think she has some serious issues. I think she has a real problem. The thing that I think is really overlooked in this story are the effects this has had on the kids of our community. How does this affect their trust in adults who are supposed to be leading them? How does this affect the way the view our justice system? These kids didn’t ask for any of this.

If she is guilty of stealing the money, then she should serve the time just like any other common thief… PERIOD. The problem with our system is that everyone gets a slap on the wrist these days and no one is held accountable for their actions.

People need to wake up…. every action, good or bad has a consequence.

• andrew farmer

May 3, 2014 at 9:05 am

Literally the only person to grasp my clearly stated point. Thank you.

• dlp

May 4, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Can someone show me a post where the family of harrel was addressed in these comment section? Everyone says give the family slack, but all the comments I read were addressed to rhe accused

5. andrew farmer

May 3, 2014 at 11:13 am

Also, she isn’t on meth. She is under tremendous pressure. Granted by her own doing, but pressure nevertheless.

• dlp

May 6, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I will tell you andrew I have worked in law enforcement, worked with a drug task force, I can almost….almost agree that they may not be “scratchies”, but from the photo, I could also beg to differ. Im not saying she is using nor making slanderous comments, but from personal experience with this type of situation….I would say she has the cracky crawlies from this photo.

6. Will

May 3, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Thank god.

Now maybe the incessant whining about her in the comments of EVERY other story on this website will stop.

• dlp

May 6, 2014 at 11:08 pm

This is a hot topic, this has affected alot of people. She used her position for personal gain. I dont think this will be over by a looooonnnnngggggggg shot. Until she is sentenced to probation (deferred adjudication), and given restitution.

7. roseanna

May 3, 2014 at 3:43 pm

It looks to me like all you are doing is talking about everyone but the one that commited the crime. She should have already been put in jail. I just can’t believe the Commonwealth would keep putting this off for so long. He will give someone 20 years for probation violation but here she is still having time to keep on commiting more crimes. If she would have went on in these other crimes would not be going on.

• dlp

May 6, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Agreed! But this is the communism…..I mean the Commonwealth of Virginia you are speaking of!

• Unbelievable

May 10, 2014 at 9:38 am

The commonwealth isn’t “putting this off” the judge is. The commonwealth has repeatedly objected to the continuances and are trying to prosecute her. Talk to the judge in the case, the issues are with him, not the prosecutors representing the Commonwealth.

8. James B

May 4, 2014 at 1:15 pm

The stories say the Commonwealth has objected to every continuance and the Commonwealth has requested that her bond be revoked twice – each time she was charged. It was only this last time that the Judge finally revoked her bond. It’s not the Commonwealth’s fault.

9. Ann

May 9, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Those of you who think she was getting off easy because of Obama must have your tin foil hats on too tightly. Every time the Barney Fife justice system drops the ball around here are you going to blame it on the President? Straighten up those Google University diplomas on your walls and do some real fact finding before you spout off.

• Va Girl

May 11, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Ann, I fear it’s your tin hat that’s a bit too tight. Here’s a fact for you. The only post on this story referring to Obama is yours. One does mention that someone Angie knows (apparently) works for the president, and another calls Virginia a Communism Wealth state, but I’ve heard that for years LONG before our current president.

10. an outsider looking in

May 13, 2014 at 12:22 pm

There is definitely something wrong in this case!! Why has the Judge allowed all these delays?? Why was she allowed to be in Arlington and Prince William counties while out on bail?? If guilty she should have already been convicted and in jail. I have no symphaty for her or her family. She harmed the very students she was supposed to help. Someone has mentioned the possible use of drugs…does this give her an excuse and/or allow for a lenient sentence? I don;t understand why her bond was not revoked at the time she was arrested in Arlington county in January. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we know about. Politics?? Family ties???