It’s official: Jones steps down as Cougar Football coach

As is our policy, The Southwest Times does not announce information on coaching changes until we have an official announcement from Pulaski County High School or the Pulaski County School Board. We have been made aware than an official announcement of some kind is coming soon regarding another coaching change, stay tuned for the official word on that as soon as we get it.

**UPDATE**

The following press release was received moments ago from PCHS:

Varsity Football Opening Announced

Pulaski County High School Athletic Director, Scott Vest has announced a vacancy in the Head Varsity Football position previously held by Mr Todd Jones.

“We thank Coach Jones for his work ethic and enthusiasm for our students and the football program,” said Vest.

An acting coach will be named next week. The position will be posted immediately on the Pulaski County Public Schools website.

Comments

comments

14 Responses to It’s official: Jones steps down as Cougar Football coach

1. Jonathan

March 21, 2014 at 10:54 am

Let me guess they are going to bring in another former player to do the job

2. football fan

March 21, 2014 at 12:18 pm

They contacted two former Pulaski players, one being the Alta Vista coach who just won the state championship. Both coaches declined. It would be nice if the entire staff was replaced, but I reckon that won’t happen.

• Anonymous

March 23, 2014 at 11:24 pm

It’s not the entire staff that need replaced, but with Jones gone maybe the coaches who are left can actually coach and make the impact they are capable of.

3. Mrs C

March 21, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Well, the haters will have a field day with this…. I wish him and his family nothing but the best.

To quote what I’m sure we ALL have been told our entire lives,” If you don’t have anything nice to say, It’s probably BEST not to say ANYTHING at all!!”

4. former resident

March 21, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Whatever happened to the chearleading coach accused of stealing?

• Will

March 21, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Oh good god. Must people make that comment on any article related to the school?

• Sharon

March 24, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I still want to know what happened. Why aren’t we hearing anything about her case. Why is it so unusual to want to know since her case also involved children of the PC school system.

5. Another Mrs. C

March 21, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Former Resident, she’s sitting pretty still with all of the same ones!

6. football fan

March 21, 2014 at 4:12 pm

We were also told six other coaches got their walking papers the same night as Jones did. Does anyone know who they were?

7. PC football parent

March 21, 2014 at 8:20 pm

WOW, does that mean the football players will actually do tackling drills against each other instead of wrapping up a “dummy” bag held by all the freshmen? I hope more than Coach Jones is out the door. He needed to go, but so does a lot of the staff who’s been there a long time and part of the problem.

Maybe if we beg Jack Turner to return, he could bring his coaching staff from Auburn and return Pulaski back to respectability.

8. Cougar 85

March 21, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I think former Cougar assistant and former Carroll County Coach Tom Hale will become the new head coach at PC. Potentially, even Bluefield High School’s coach Fred Simon may vie for the Cougar job as well.

9. alumni

March 22, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Coach Jones is a fine man and also his family. We need to get all new coaches and not from Pulaski County. I think it should be someone that is not from the area or doesn’t know anyone here. To much of this same old good ole boys club. If you aint someone you might as well forget about it.

10. Anita

March 25, 2014 at 9:03 am

I have no criticism of Coach Jones or the team. While I do love to go to the games, I have very little knowledge of the game itself. I know that if we are in possession of the ball, our goal is to get it into the end zone. I know that if the other team has the ball, our goal is to keep them from scoring. I would love to know Jones’ side of this story. I wish he could be candid, and talk about his experience in the last 4 years. I would find that to be very interesting.

11. Blast From The Past

March 22, 2014 at 10:01 am

Why should it need moderation it’s well written and it’s the truth