Jason Grubb relieved as Lady Cougar basketball coach

By DAVID GRAVELY SWT, Sports Editor

swtsportslogo copy

Prior to the regularly scheduled meeting of the Pulaski County School Board on Tuesday a closed door session was held to discuss personnel issues. The result of that session was a vote that will have a big impact on the Lady Cougar basketball program, as Jason Grubb was informed that his coaching contract would not be renewed for next season.

Pulaski County High School Activities Director Scott Vest released a statement this morning concerning the situation. According to a media release, Pulaski County High School Athletic Director Scott Vest has announced a vacancy in the Varsity Girls Head Basketball position formally held by Mr. Jason Grubb.

“We would like to thank Mr. Grubb for his six years of dedication and passion for our students and the girls basketball program,” said Vest.

The release states the position will be posted immediately on the Pulaski County Public Schools website. An acting coach will be named later in the week.

While the decision does come at a time that will allow school officials ample time to find a replacement for the upcoming season, it has also put current players, parents, and assistant coaches in a position to worry about the future of the program.

Most are concerned that the hard work put into forming a productive AAU program will be lost, and that all of the progress made over the past season will slip into reverse.

Sources from within the Pulaski County School System have made it clear that there is no need for concern, and as the press release from Vest makes clear the program will continue to move forward. With the naming of the interim coach this week to keep thing running, fans can fully expect to see the Lady Cougar AAU program continue to do what they’ve done over the past two years.

The Lady Cougars finished the 2013-2014 season with a record of 7-16, an improvement over the 3-19 record from the 2012-2013 season that saw an extremely young Lady Cougar squad playing without several key players due to injuries.

Over the past six seasons, the Lady Cougars have a record of 69-80. The top seasons from that time frame included a 15-12 record in 2008-2009, a 14-12 record in the 2011-2012 season, and a 19-6 record during the 2010-2011 season.

The Lady Cougars have won the River Ridge District Tournament three times in that time frame, and won the district championship in the 2010-2011 season.

Comments

comments

75 Responses to Jason Grubb relieved as Lady Cougar basketball coach

1. linda

March 12, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Here we go again, lets let Akers and Farris do the coaching. If that is what Akers wants to do then let him give up what he is doing now and go to coaching. Then he will make sure his children get to stay on the court. Talking about letting all of you friends kids play Huh! As far as Mr. Farris, you will not find a man any nicer or knows the game as good as he does. He was a great coach and a very Christian man.

2. Lea Hallstead Hamblin

March 12, 2014 at 9:59 pm

While we don’t all have to agree on coaching styles or who should be hired, there is no need to publicly take shots at a great man. Buddy was/is not only a great coach – he is a superb role model. He was there for me during some of the toughest years of my life – nothing to do with basketball. Being a teenager is rough! Don’t let his passion for winning and getting caught up in the moment fool you. This man’s heart is pure and full of compassion. Please keep in mind that he and his family (as well as other coaches named in these comments) can these responses. Remember that a lot of people love these families and there is nothing gained by anonymously venting over a public forum.

3. freda

March 12, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Lea I agree with you. Mr. Farris was/is a fine man and has a fine wife and family. Its time people in this county take if for what it is worth. Now you have to be someone or know someone before your children in High School get to play anything. The coaches and parents in the good ole boys club work together. I’ll scratch your back and you scratch mine. Its a shame the coaches don’t play talent,instead of their friends children. They are not teaching these kids any self respect or just plain ole winning. Just a certain few get the praise.So bring someone in to coach that doesn’t have a kid playing the sport.

4. Anonymous

March 12, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Lucille i sense a tad bit of jealousy haha…Anthony Akers just finish the season 20-1..that means he only lost one game! The kids love him!

5. Rosalita Sanchez

March 12, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Well said Lea Hamblin. Lets all pray for Linda, Lucille, and Rhoda. This is the same person in three names that enjoys attacking everything good in our community and putting down kids in our programs. How sad it must be to live that kind of life where you call out kids that have nothing to do with this public forum. Pray for this lady and her meanness toward our community children and leaders. Prayer continues to work against her efforts to attack those with integrity in our community. Her support is limited to her family and not that of our community.

6. Anonymous

March 13, 2014 at 12:27 am

I have never played the game of basketball because I don’t care for the sport, but I remember Mr. Farris back when I was at DMS. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Although back then he had to light me up once or twice with a paddle because I acted like a fool back then.

I have heard to many people speak kindly of him to think he is anything other than a great coach and role model. I would think his record clearly reflects what he could do for the program.

As a parent of a high school athlete I know how frustration can build up over playing time that our children receive. Even as an parent it can twist your view on what you think about the program, the coaches, the county, the school system, the other players, and their parents. When it’s over and they have graduated only then do you realize it is just a game.

We need to remind our children and ourselves that it is just a game. What ever hp

7. Michael Harless

March 13, 2014 at 3:29 am

I have never played or followed the game of basketball because I don’t care for the sport, but I remember Mr. Farris back when I was at DMS. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Although back then he had to light me up once or twice with a paddle because I acted like a fool more often than not.

I have heard too many people speak kindly of Mr. Farris to think he is anything other than a great coach and role model. I would think his record clearly reflects what he could do for the program. As for Anthony Akers…I can only go by my personal experience with him. Class act in my opinion!

As a parent of a high school athlete I know how frustration can build up over playing time that our children receive. Even as a parent it can twist your view on what you think about the program, the coaches, the county, the school system, the other players, and their parents. When it’s over and they have graduated only then do you realize it is just a game. Sometimes you might be lucky enough to have a moment of clarity long before they get into sports or graduate.

We need to remind our children and ourselves that it IS just a game. Whatever hopes and dreams we have for them it’s “our” hopes and dreams not theirs. Maybe they don’t want to play sports at the collegiate level…maybe they say they do because they think that is what we want to hear.

Although a winning season is so much better than a loosing season we need to remain focused on what is truly important…that’s the athletes that play. Its disappointing when your child doesn’t play, but what are we teaching them when we speak and act like immature pre-teens? What are we teaching them when we rant about the coaches? Is this the type of adult we want our children to grow up to be?

Our children watch everything we do and often mimic exactly that. Unfortunately for me that is sometimes me complaining about my job, those I work with, the X-wife, the MPG my Kia is getting, and other “1st world” problems.

All the chatter about Mr. Farris and the current state of our sports programs is unsettling. First and foremost our children attend school for an education and not a athletic scholarship.

As for the current state of the Cougar football program. If it’s not a state championship I find myself disappointed. Isn’t that the goal? But is it a reality every year? NO! Of course we want a winning season every year and better yet it would be nice to beat the brakes off of Salem every season in every single sport. But it IS just a game.

I want to see my son successful in school, sports, and life. What can I do to help him…back off for one. Quit being a helicopter parent and just continue to “nudge” him in the right direction. Let him fail from time to time. Have coach Jones pull him off to the side for encouragement from time to time. I have not done the best as a parent. I have made more than my share of mistakes. My son comes from a divorced family and it was hell on him for several years. Each parent pulling him in opposite directions to win favor with him.

All of us parents need to take a hard look at ourselves not the coaches to see what we can do to help our children. It’s those little battles, those things that we correct as parents that will usually make or break them.

So let’s stop (expletive deleted) about the coaches and the program. Lets encourage the sports editor for the Southwest Times alias “Cougar Dave” to write articles that encourage our kids and not divide them or have them question about the community being “ready for change”. What teenage athlete wants to take the field or court knowing that the community wants the program to change yet again? It’s time for him to no longer play the role of local “GADFLY”, “Negative Dave”, “I Can’t Be Positive Dave”, “I Wanna Stir Up Crap Dave”, and return to “Cougar Dave”. Report the news, follow the local sports in the NRV, and stay out of the drama by making Facebook and the Southwest Times your personal sports blog to defend your articles and attack those that don’t support them.

Go Cougars!!!

8. alumni

March 13, 2014 at 6:31 am

Hey Scott, what about the volleyball program? My cousin plays for the program and has been without a coach for almost 6 months. There is no excuse for this, no interim coach, nothing. Do your job and go recruit a coach like they do for the other programs, i.e. baseball, football, etc. Administration, do you see now why the athletic programs are a wreck? No direction, no leadership, a lame duck principal, lame duck superintendent and these are the ones making personnel moves? Sounds like PCHS is being sabotaged from these headed out the door.

9. Lola

March 13, 2014 at 8:11 am

I think you are wrong to call out a child on a public forum. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but should use better judgement about where to express it.

10. linda

March 13, 2014 at 9:07 am

Here we go again, Sanchez, you don’t know me from adam and as far as the other ladies you were talking about I do not know either one. So if you are going to accuse someone then lets use your real name. I gave my opinion and so did you and they gave theirs. You can see how people in this county feels about certain ones and I said Mr. Farris is a great man and I will stand on that. He was and is a fair coach and he plays to win and uses who thinks can do the job. He showed that this year with who he used. GREAT JOB DUBLIN MIDDLE.As far as children in this county playing sports I have none.I will pray for you.