Allen named interim head coach for Cougars

By DAVID GRAVELY, SWT Sports Editor

Pulaski County High School released a brief statement on Monday concerning the recently vacated head football coaching position.

“Pulaski County High School Principal Joseph Reed announced Greg Allen has been appointed Interim Football Coach for the PCHS Cougar’s. Coach Allen will hold this position until a new varsity football coach is hired.”

664784_702930153066699_341358018_o

While the statement was brief and to the point, it does make it clear that the school intends for the program to continue business as usual while the search for the next head coach is underway.

That search for the new top Cougar will begin immediately, and while some may feel that the position is one that may not be as desirable as it once was, Allen feels the job is one that should draw the attention of many top coaches.

“I would consider it an honor to be chosen to lead the Cougars, and I do plan to put my name into the hat,” said Allen on Monday.  “If I’m the best man for the job, then I hope that shows through.  If there is someone better than me, then I hope we do what’s best for the Cougar football program.  We’ve got some great kids.  They’re willing to work hard and learn, and I think we have what it takes to win.  Right now, I’m going to focus on trying to do the best I can to help our players get stronger and run our off-season program to make sure we’re ready for the season.”

Coach Allen played for Pulaski County during his time as a Cougar.  He is a 1989 Pulaski County High School graduate and a graduate of Radford University.  He began his coaching career in 2005 as an assistant coach at Pulaski County and has been there since that time.  Over the years, he has coached multiple positions on both sides of the ball.

“Pulaski County is a special place,” said Coach Allen.  “It would be a dream come true to earn this position, but if it’s not me then whoever ends up with the job, I hope they take that to heart right away.  We’ve got some great people and some great, hard working kids in this county.  Cougar Pride means a lot to all of us.  I think the kids are excited to see how the search goes.”

The Cougars are currently scheduled to open their 2014 season in the final week of August on the road in Christiansburg.

Comments

comments

78 Responses to Allen named interim head coach for Cougars

1. PC FOOTBALL FAN

April 4, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I would recommend any coach that gets this job to start over with respect to everything about the program. It has crumbled over the last several years in every way. The first place I’d start is with the re-election of new booster leadership positions. Get a new start and new ideas and new leadership. Boosters shouldn’t be coaches moving forward either. Boosters!! Know & respect your role or get out.

2. PC Pride

April 4, 2014 at 5:51 pm

no one on the coaching staff should get the job, shay? come on 2-8 as a starter and he is a coach…… wow no leadership at all there anymore, 1 state title, what tradition??? need to start over and make them wear the old uniforms until they start winning, they are spoiled with new stuff every year and cant win, we have the talent, but never a coach to use the talent to win

• Mike

April 4, 2014 at 8:30 pm

We should all stop with the negative talk and get behind who ever the new coach is , we all have our favorite and a opinion on who we think will do the best job. Here is a fact who ever is hired needs to have the support and backing of the community, negative attitudes and coach bashing will not help get the pride back.

3. Cougar 85

April 6, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I understand that guys like Dan Calahan, the Dunnigan’s, Buddy Ratcliffe, and a couple of others are seeking current Bluefield coach Freddy Simon as becoming the next Cougar Coach.

• Randy Dunnigan

April 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Cougar 85
      I would love to know where you are getting your information from. I can asure you and every other armchair coach on this message board that nobody in my family or the Ratcliffe family are seeking Freddie Simon to be the coach. You people need to stop dealing in rumors and only deal in facts. the fact is that none of you have a clue who the new head coach will be. Dan Callahan, Buddy nor myself have a clue who the new coach will be. I know several who have applied for it and they would all make fine coaches.
      I usually dont read the crap that is put on these message boards but this was brought to my attention and I had to get some things off of my chest.
      First off, the people who post the negative comments on here while hiding behind some clever screen name need to man up and use their real names. What qualifies all of you to think that you know exactly who the new coach needs to be? WHY?? Because you buy a ticket and come to game on Friday Night? Because you were on the team at some point? Because your neighbor “Johnny” told you so? Because you heard it at the barber shop? NO. Nothing qualifies any of you to pass jugdment on these guys who your are bashing.
      Im not here to campain for anyone. Like I said, several people I know have applied the job and I will not take sides. All i know is that I want a coach who bring the PRIDE back to Cougar Football. Everyone ( including myself) would love to have another Coach Hicks at PCHS. But thats going to happen. There arent many of those around any more.
      If Greg Allen gets it, do us all a favor and support him. Same for Eric Berry. Same for who ever gets it. Cougar Football needs stability more than anything right now. I know, Ive been there. Ive suffered through a few BAD seasons. I know how public opinion weighs on those guys up there. I know how it feels for some coward to get on a message board and make negative comments while hiding behind some screen name. These guys do not deserve this. Let the cards play out. Lets wait and see who the new coach is. And then lets support them. And please do not use my name on this message board.

4. PC FOOTBALL FAN

April 7, 2014 at 3:11 pm

RD – You make some very good points. I haven’t used my name, because I am not bashing anyone. If you will read through my posts, I can assure that everything is factual and verifiable regarding stats, etc. It appears that Cougar 85 chose to make a comment that is completely unverified and uncalled for. There is no place for that. Agreeing with RD, IF you are going to state “unverifiable” information, you should be a big person enough to post with your real name. The people that will be selecting the coach aren’t always “qualified” to hire football coaches either, but it is their job to do the best they know how or can. Anyone is “qualified” to give their opinion or support a person and let’s be supportive of whomever gets the job.