Allen named interim head coach for Cougars

By DAVID GRAVELY, SWT Sports Editor

Pulaski County High School released a brief statement on Monday concerning the recently vacated head football coaching position.

“Pulaski County High School Principal Joseph Reed announced Greg Allen has been appointed Interim Football Coach for the PCHS Cougar’s. Coach Allen will hold this position until a new varsity football coach is hired.”

664784_702930153066699_341358018_o

While the statement was brief and to the point, it does make it clear that the school intends for the program to continue business as usual while the search for the next head coach is underway.

That search for the new top Cougar will begin immediately, and while some may feel that the position is one that may not be as desirable as it once was, Allen feels the job is one that should draw the attention of many top coaches.

“I would consider it an honor to be chosen to lead the Cougars, and I do plan to put my name into the hat,” said Allen on Monday.  “If I’m the best man for the job, then I hope that shows through.  If there is someone better than me, then I hope we do what’s best for the Cougar football program.  We’ve got some great kids.  They’re willing to work hard and learn, and I think we have what it takes to win.  Right now, I’m going to focus on trying to do the best I can to help our players get stronger and run our off-season program to make sure we’re ready for the season.”

Coach Allen played for Pulaski County during his time as a Cougar.  He is a 1989 Pulaski County High School graduate and a graduate of Radford University.  He began his coaching career in 2005 as an assistant coach at Pulaski County and has been there since that time.  Over the years, he has coached multiple positions on both sides of the ball.

“Pulaski County is a special place,” said Coach Allen.  “It would be a dream come true to earn this position, but if it’s not me then whoever ends up with the job, I hope they take that to heart right away.  We’ve got some great people and some great, hard working kids in this county.  Cougar Pride means a lot to all of us.  I think the kids are excited to see how the search goes.”

The Cougars are currently scheduled to open their 2014 season in the final week of August on the road in Christiansburg.

Comments

comments

78 Responses to Allen named interim head coach for Cougars

1. Cougar 85

April 1, 2014 at 11:39 am

PC Football Fan, think about it? Ferrell Edmounds will have not just one, but two sons playing for Virginia Tech. The third son, is a potential D-I Basketball or Football prospect. Move makes sense, instead of driving nearly two hours from Danville to Blacksburg for Saturday home games, If he became coach at PC, Ferrell could either live in PC potentially at Herron’s Landing which he would be closer to both Pulaski County & Virginia Tech.

Dan River is an okay school with an okay program however, PC has the best facilities and is in a great location geographically. Ferrell has great experience as a player and coach potentially building a resume to coach College football. I think PC would be great for him to do this.

2. Berry for head coach

April 1, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Seems to me that Coach Berry has the passion to do it.

3. Sandra

April 1, 2014 at 3:17 pm

What are your thoughts on Coach Berry as head coach? Would the PC community be behind him?

4. Unbelievable

April 1, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Berry? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Good one.

5. PC FOOTBALL FAN

April 1, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Cougar 85…The only reason Edmonds would leave Dan River for PC is a shorter drive to VT unless they paid him 200k.

Berry doesn’t have a realistic shot.

Auburn schedule tough? Please travel down to Roanoke Catholic and watch a football practice. No disrespect to that wonderful school and those great children, but they simply can’t compete with public school systems at this time. But again, the best way to get wins is schedule teams you KNOW you can beat.

Jennifer…well said, but I do know that the football team and other sports programs have helped feed their kids for many years. Coach Jones wasn’t the first nor will he be the last to do those types of things.

Everyone should realize that wins & losses doesn’t make you a good or a bad coach. All coaches have had some of each. Coaching is about so much more. We should be looking for a person that is knowledgeable, a great leader, great communicator, passionate, hard working, ETHICAL, fair, willing to listen and learn, and wants the best for kids in this community and fb program. More importantly we need a coach that the KIDS WANT TO PLAY FOR. Based on a few players Ive heard speak about the situation, THE KIDS already KNOW WHO THEY WANT TO PLAY FOR. he’s already there…

6. Cougar85

April 2, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I agree with you about Eric Berry not having a realistic shot. Great guy, but, he belongs as an assistant coach. Also, agree 100% involving Roanoke Catholic. They can barely beat a good JV team, Dublin Lions Club field is in better shape compared to where RC plays. Of course back in the day, RC used to play home games at Victory Stadium. Auburn beating Bland County isn’t as tough as well. Good pts PC fan.

7. mike

April 2, 2014 at 9:06 pm

If Scott Vest applies for head football coach, I assume he will get it. I know he was an excellent teacher, but how was he as a football coach?

• Tim Morris

April 3, 2014 at 11:12 am

In my opinion he is a great coach. He or Greg could get the job done.
      But being Athletic Director, I am not sure he will have the time to devote to football. I don’t know if people even realize how much time is invested into youth league much less high school football.
      But again, I think he would be an excellent choice!

8. Brandon Estep

April 2, 2014 at 11:16 pm

I am a current football player. Next year will be my senior year, I am 6 foot 4 and a half and weigh 300 lbs. I have played foot ball every year with coach jones and his staff. I feel the best coach to help us get what we need done in the way of winning and becoming a better football team is Coach Allen. He was our defensive head coach last year and I respect and work extremely well with coach Allen. He has everything we need in the perfect physical head coach. He works us hard in the weight room. Just Tuesday my squat workout was 5 sets of 5 with 315. Not to mention the rest of his well thought out work out regiment. In my and the teams opinion coach Allen is our best option

• Tim Morris

April 3, 2014 at 11:09 am

Well said young man!

• burman

April 3, 2014 at 4:34 pm

this is getting so out of hand. we finally have a real circus right here in town.

• Mike

April 3, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Yes it has, I am not sure any coach would want the job after reading these comments.

9. Mrs C

April 3, 2014 at 11:44 am

Good for you Brandon!!! I know my son, Damon (#17) is also very excited and happy that Coach Allen is hopefully taking over this position !! Cougar Pride!!!!

10. Interested Observer

April 4, 2014 at 1:22 pm

All of this discussion and speculation is all well and good, but how long do we have to wait to get a new sports story posted on the website? The last sports related story was posted on 3/25. I have a subscription to the paper, but come on, I can’t get all worked over the comments unless the stories are posted on line. Thanks.