Allen named interim head coach for Cougars

By DAVID GRAVELY, SWT Sports Editor

Pulaski County High School released a brief statement on Monday concerning the recently vacated head football coaching position.

“Pulaski County High School Principal Joseph Reed announced Greg Allen has been appointed Interim Football Coach for the PCHS Cougar’s. Coach Allen will hold this position until a new varsity football coach is hired.”

664784_702930153066699_341358018_o

While the statement was brief and to the point, it does make it clear that the school intends for the program to continue business as usual while the search for the next head coach is underway.

That search for the new top Cougar will begin immediately, and while some may feel that the position is one that may not be as desirable as it once was, Allen feels the job is one that should draw the attention of many top coaches.

“I would consider it an honor to be chosen to lead the Cougars, and I do plan to put my name into the hat,” said Allen on Monday.  “If I’m the best man for the job, then I hope that shows through.  If there is someone better than me, then I hope we do what’s best for the Cougar football program.  We’ve got some great kids.  They’re willing to work hard and learn, and I think we have what it takes to win.  Right now, I’m going to focus on trying to do the best I can to help our players get stronger and run our off-season program to make sure we’re ready for the season.”

Coach Allen played for Pulaski County during his time as a Cougar.  He is a 1989 Pulaski County High School graduate and a graduate of Radford University.  He began his coaching career in 2005 as an assistant coach at Pulaski County and has been there since that time.  Over the years, he has coached multiple positions on both sides of the ball.

“Pulaski County is a special place,” said Coach Allen.  “It would be a dream come true to earn this position, but if it’s not me then whoever ends up with the job, I hope they take that to heart right away.  We’ve got some great people and some great, hard working kids in this county.  Cougar Pride means a lot to all of us.  I think the kids are excited to see how the search goes.”

The Cougars are currently scheduled to open their 2014 season in the final week of August on the road in Christiansburg.

Comments

comments

78 Responses to Allen named interim head coach for Cougars

1. PC FOOTBALL FAN

March 29, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Anonymous, Jack Turner’s record at PC was 42-33. Not exactly setting the world on fire wouldn’t you agree? He goes to Auburn High and turns things around, but scheduled Montcalm, the smallest school in Mercer Co, WV; Roanoke Catholic, 445 kids K-12; Craig Co, the smallest school in Timesland with a 31-72 record over the last 10 yrs. Although the VHSL has changed rules since his tenure at PC, the school was basically put on probation for his actions as determined by the VHSL. Coach Turner was also 2-8 his last year at PC. Just sayin’…

• the truth

March 29, 2014 at 10:43 pm

You are correct “football fan” 42-33 certainly is not setting the world on fire by most standards but Mr. Turner did have a winning record at PC. He also if I am not mistaken had a undefeated season, a district championship, a region championship and played in the state semi finals game in 2008. If we (the fans) did not know anything else during his tenure we knew PC was going to play physical and be competitive win or lose and that is what PC has lacked and needs to get back to IMO. As far as Auburn goes I do not know as much as you seem to know about that program other than they had not won a game in I believe 4 yrs and the fact that in only his second year there they make it to the playoffs and advance in the playoffs seems pretty impressive to me and to most people I have heard talk about it considering the history of that school. I think when any one is able to accomplish that at any school I’m not so sure it matters who was on the schedule especially when you have not won a game in 4 years. And FYI the teams you named off that Auburn scheduled last year I am pretty sure they are the same teams they had been losing to in previous years. Just sayin’.

• concerned

March 31, 2014 at 9:18 am

The “Truth” has 2 different standards for Jones & Turner. Sounds like garbage to me.

Out of district schedule was different than before.

However, I do think Turner got railroaded and there were many people at fault for what he “fell on the sword” for. He was taking heat from the community when he was here regardless of his record – even during the season when they went to the semis with Nubian Peak he was getting crushed by members of the community.

If I were him I would stay at Auburn where the community seems to be 100% behind him. I wouldn’t want to come back – no matter what happens whoever gets the job will be under a lot of pressure and will never please the message board commandos.

2. PC FOOTBALL FAN

March 29, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Dear “Cougar 85″, You sound like a high school fb fan and I appreciate that. However, some food for thought…You say that we need to bring in someone that has won one or more state championships, but didn’t we just do that with Todd Jones? Did that formula work? Reason reason it didn’t work is because that is because winning state championships at another school doesn’t matriculate into state championships at your next school. Coaching records can be misleading at times. Lots of great coaches out there that haven’t won a state championship or even a district championship.

You listed some good candidates, but take away the big stadium, the fitness center, and tradition and you are left with a job that isn’t all that appealing for many of those coaches you listed. It would be a step up for Tom Hale, but I was intrigued by his quote noted by “Respectfully” in previous comments. Sounds like he’s just exhausted with coaching and certainly doesn’t sound motivated at the present time just having left Carroll Co.

There will likely be several candidates that are capable of doing a good job. Some of those may have experience and some may be a current assistant coach for a school out there or at PC that is the “NEXT BIG THING” around. There are many factors to consider when choosing a head coach that go far and beyond what we may think. For example, will they create a teaching position if they find the right guy or are they only looking to find a coach that can fill a teaching position already open?

3. Cougar 85

March 29, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Hey PC Football Fan, You said it best when you spoke about Jack. I glad that you remember that he went 2-8 the last year he was there.

Yeah, he’s doing good at Auburn, but, as you mentioned, look at the teams that he is playing (Montcalm, Roanoke Catholic, Craig Co, & Narrows).

Anyway, I think if he would come, Ferrell Edmounds from Dan River would be a great coach. He has quite a football resume playing all three levels (high school, college, and pro) and great knowledge in the coaching department. I think this would be a good fit for him, and the remainder of his family (I think another son or two, excelling greatly in football and basketball.

Too bad, former PC assistant and former head coach at Lafayette Paul Wheeler isn’t interested, because I think he would have been a great coach for Pulaski as well. However, I hear over in Beckley, that there is a coach named Will Lilly that is a very good football, and track coach throughout the state as well is in the country. Maybe PC should eye this guy. But who knows.

• Mike

March 31, 2014 at 12:00 am

I have said in previous posts I am a Coach Hicks/Turner fan, I make no apologies. I have followed Jack since he was a great player at Pulaski, then started his coaching career. I had the privilege to watch Auburn play this year on 3 occasions including the 1st. Playoff Win since 1986, no question he can coach and coach at a high level at any school. Jack made the mistake of following the best coach on the southwest side of the state, no matter what he did it would never be good enough. On all your coaching list who knows Cougar football and cares about it more than he does, who understands the tradition of Cougar football more than he does.
      I had the privilege to speak with Jack at the store today , here is what he had to say.
      1. He will not be applying for the job Pulaski will find a great coach.
      2. People should appreciate the hard work that coach jones and staff put in, coaches work hard to win. No one understands what goes on inside a program.
      3. Scott Vest will be a great leader for our sports program.
      4. I am a cougar and will always be a cougar, when you spend over half your life at a place you will always be connected. I will always be a coach hicks guy.
      I have more respect for Coach Turner today than I had before, not one negative word about anything or anybody .
      We can put to rest the Jack Turner talk bash someone else.

4. Cougar 85

March 30, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Hey PC Football Fan, one key thing that I forgot to include. Remember, Todd Jones coached at Essex, which was at that time, a Group 2 single A school with nearly 400 students winning the championship against Radford, a school with 400 students. The other guys that I mentioned that won championships came from schools around the 1000-2600 range.

5. PC FOOTBALL FAN

March 31, 2014 at 11:19 am

You make some good points Truth…However, those teams I mentioned are not the same teams Auburn had been losing to. I keep up with them and yes he has done a good job, but smart scheduling is the smartest way to get back on track or turn things around. Also…you can be 1-9 and get into the playoffs these days in the vhsl. Still doesn’t change the fact that he brought on suspensions and penalties to the cougar fb team.

6. PC FOOTBALL FAN

March 31, 2014 at 11:22 am

Cougar 85 – Ferrell Edmonds leave Dan River for PCHS ? LOL. Would you and for what? Would not be a good career move.

7. PC FOOTBALL FAN

March 31, 2014 at 11:29 am

Mike…

Good points about Jack. He is a good guy. I would argue that there are many cougar fanatics out there and many are former or current coaches. Coaches know how to speak to the public. I wouldn’t expect Coach Turner to say something negative. He should stay exactly where he’s at, however don’t be fooled by what Jack Turner said. He wouldn’t want to advertise that he is a candidate. He would do a good job where ever he coaches, no doubt; but lots of good coaches out there.

8. lets fix some real issues in this county

March 31, 2014 at 5:58 pm

all the kids that go hungry at night in this county and we have people arguing about the next head football coach.

Give Allen the team and let him roll!

• Jennifer

April 1, 2014 at 9:23 am

Because people are commenting on this story doesn’t mean they are not concerned about hungry children or other issues in the county! Those are just not the topics being discussed on this article! Since you are concerned about hungry children in the community, I can let you know that some of those children play football and the Touchdown Club, parents and local churches have been going above and beyond to feed the team as much as possible once practices start in the summer and through the season for the last two years. Coach Jones raised the awareness that there were kids on the team that would go home to no food to eat so everyone stepped up and is fixing that problem.

9. Gary

March 31, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Turner proven he is not fit to coach. I hope Pulaski County has enough integrity not to even consider hiring him.

• Mike

April 1, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Really, enough already. Concerned you are correct the schedule was a whole more difficult compared to the last few years.

10. another nominee

March 31, 2014 at 9:11 pm

How about Coach Berry for head coach? With his vast knowledge of weight lifting and football, he would be a great fit. He would be stern and demand respect from the players. He’s been a cougar coach for years and is loved by all of Pulaski County.