Allen named interim head coach for Cougars

By DAVID GRAVELY, SWT Sports Editor

Pulaski County High School released a brief statement on Monday concerning the recently vacated head football coaching position.

“Pulaski County High School Principal Joseph Reed announced Greg Allen has been appointed Interim Football Coach for the PCHS Cougar’s. Coach Allen will hold this position until a new varsity football coach is hired.”

664784_702930153066699_341358018_o

While the statement was brief and to the point, it does make it clear that the school intends for the program to continue business as usual while the search for the next head coach is underway.

That search for the new top Cougar will begin immediately, and while some may feel that the position is one that may not be as desirable as it once was, Allen feels the job is one that should draw the attention of many top coaches.

“I would consider it an honor to be chosen to lead the Cougars, and I do plan to put my name into the hat,” said Allen on Monday.  “If I’m the best man for the job, then I hope that shows through.  If there is someone better than me, then I hope we do what’s best for the Cougar football program.  We’ve got some great kids.  They’re willing to work hard and learn, and I think we have what it takes to win.  Right now, I’m going to focus on trying to do the best I can to help our players get stronger and run our off-season program to make sure we’re ready for the season.”

Coach Allen played for Pulaski County during his time as a Cougar.  He is a 1989 Pulaski County High School graduate and a graduate of Radford University.  He began his coaching career in 2005 as an assistant coach at Pulaski County and has been there since that time.  Over the years, he has coached multiple positions on both sides of the ball.

“Pulaski County is a special place,” said Coach Allen.  “It would be a dream come true to earn this position, but if it’s not me then whoever ends up with the job, I hope they take that to heart right away.  We’ve got some great people and some great, hard working kids in this county.  Cougar Pride means a lot to all of us.  I think the kids are excited to see how the search goes.”

The Cougars are currently scheduled to open their 2014 season in the final week of August on the road in Christiansburg.

Comments

comments

78 Responses to Allen named interim head coach for Cougars

1. Mickey Thomas

March 24, 2014 at 11:54 pm

I feel he would be a quality guy for the position, great with the kids, good in the community, kids look up to him and want him to lead them. Assistant coaches can be great head coaches if given the opportunity!!!

2. Derek wright

March 25, 2014 at 11:22 am

I would love to see Gregg Allen get the head coaching job. He is a former cougar player and graduate who has been on the coaching staff since 05. Makes all of us former cougars feel good to see one of its own running the show. He should get the first look in my mind. Good luck Gregg and go cougars.

3. same old stuff

March 25, 2014 at 12:11 pm

That’s one way to keep your son a starter.

• Lola

March 25, 2014 at 1:29 pm

You certainly have the right to express your negative opinion. However, when you make an accusation, as you have, you should at least use your name.

• Sylvia

March 25, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I agree with Lola. If you are going to make an accusation like that, please use your real name. His son is also an excellent football player, but I’m assuming you don’t know that considering with the accusation you just made. His son would be a starter for his skills on the field and not just because he is the coach’s son. Please pay attention and get your facts straight before you make false accusations. Have a nice day. :)

4. Tim Morris

March 25, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Here’s my vote for Greg Allen!

Fine gentleman and great coach.

And for this no name “same old stuff” if Greg’s son isn’t good enough to be a starter, I guarantee Greg wouldn’t put him in.

Good luck my friend. Hope you get your well deserved best shot!

5. the truth

March 25, 2014 at 2:04 pm

I think Mr. Allen is a fine young man (do not know him personally) and it seems he certainly developed a good reputation in rec sports. My grandson seemed to really like him as a coach in rec but that is a LONG LONG WAY and stretch from being a rec coach to being a head high school football coach and LEADING a program. I am not sure outside of coaching rec sports and being a assistant coach at PC what experience he has to bring to that position. I believe from what I understand up until Jones took over his responsibilities were minimal and then Jones made him defensive coordinator and if we are honest the defense the past couple/few years had a hard time stopping anyone and was not very good more often than not. I do think everyone deserves a chance but given the state of PC football do they really want to go that direction? I guess we will see at some point the direction and future of PC football. In my opinion there will be several more viable candidates to choose from that have way more experience at that level of coaching.

6. Josh Hurst

March 25, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Coach Allen is an excellent candidate for this position. Greg and I started around the same time under former Cougar Coach Jack Turner. I know people have many different opinions on Jack and what he did at PCHS but one thing is for sure, he was a great teacher to his staff. Greg and I learned the system and how things work from Jack. Coach Allen was always great with the kids, well respected and knowledgeable about the entire team not just individual positions. Greg wants to win and is eager to learn and will hire a staff that he trusts and who trusts him. In my opinion hiring a former Cougar football player is the best bet. And I am sure if you ask Coach Allen he would say the same even if it meant Pulaski County hired someone other than himself. Coach Allen has great character, great values and attacking his integrity about playing his son just is not fair. The one thing that Coach Hicks instilled in all of us former Cougar football players is the best player will play. Greg will follow that tradition. Greg good luck my friend and I wish you nothing but the best. Here is my vote for Coach Greg Allen.

• bob

March 25, 2014 at 8:02 pm

With all those kind words, you must be bucking for a coaching position back in Pulaski!

7. Sunshine and Lollipops

March 25, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Current coaches with established and successful programs will most likely not apply. Current pay structure versus other localities will also be a major deterrent. Unfortunate, but true! Coach Allen is established in the community and has a tremendous passion for the tradition and well being of Cougar football! I agree there will most likely be more qualified candidates based solely on previous head coaching experience. But often, passion, knowledge and determination coupled with strong leadership skills can prevail. Find a great leader… Everything else will fall into place.

8. Lewis for head coach

March 25, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Coach Lewis should be the head coach. He led the JV team to a 7-3 record and has a great resume coaching Dublin football. How’s that for an idea?

9. rumor mill

March 25, 2014 at 4:20 pm

We have heard rumors that Joel Hicks was coming out of retirement to rejuvenate the Cougar football team. Any truth to this?

• Elizabeth

March 26, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Rumor mill, where did you hear that? Coach Hicks was not winning when he left the program and people were calling for him to step down. The talent pool had dwindled and the competition stiffened. No one would have ever thought a Christiansburg team would beat the Mighty Cougars. The Cougars winning like they did as a “power house” team as in their heyday is a stretch with just hiring a new coach.

• burman

March 30, 2014 at 10:52 pm

you are wrong. hicks never had a losing season at pc.

10. brandon

March 25, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Coach Allen has never been a head coach except for rec league. He needs more experience as an assistant. Just look at the defense last season and how they struggled. Go get an experienced head coach who has been through the fire. Jack Turner, anyone?

• Sylvia

March 25, 2014 at 5:33 pm

The defense may have had some struggles but is that completely the coach’s fault? I don’t think so. The players should also be taken into account.