William Fleming too strong for Lady Cougars

530013_437485132944537_279580370_n-1By DAVID GRAVELY, SWT Sports Editor

ROANOKE – The first quarter saw the Lady Cougars fall behind, and despite a better second quarter the task was too great for Pulaski County as they fell to William Fleming 79-37.

The Lady Colonels not only provided fans with an offensive explosion, but held Pulaski County leading scorer Meredith Mitchell to just 3 points for the night.

Down 17-5 at the end of the first quarter, Pulaski County rallied to outscore William Fleming 17-11 in the second quarter to trail 28-22 at the half.

As has been the case in many games this season, the third quarter was the undoing for Pulaski County.  William Fleming outscored the Lady Cougars 36-5 to take a commanding 74-27 lead heading into the final quarter.

Chelsea Golden led the Lady Cougars in scoring with 10 points.  Maegen Memitt backed her up with 8 points.  Rachael Greer and Tianna Crockett added 4 points each.  Moriah Hinton, Meredith Mitchell, and Carlie Clary added 3 points each, and Tyra Redd scored 2 points.

Gracie Doane led William Fleming with 18 points, including 4 of the Lady Colonels nine 3-pointers.

Another big factor in the game was turnovers, as the Lady Cougars committed 28 turnovers.  The Lady Cougars were also out rebounded by William Fleming 47-32.

“The girls came out focused and ready to play in the first half,” said Lady Cougar Head Coach Jason Grubb.  “They should be proud of their season, as they improved greatly since last year.  Our seniors provided leadership before and during the season, and our hard work paid off.  We can only hope that this off season will be as productive and beneficial as the last one was.”

The Lady Cougars will now start to refocus and get ready for next season.  While they will certainly miss seniors Clary, Memitt, Redd, and Kennedi Hart next year, the table certainly seems to be set for a solid season.  With Golden, Mitchell, Hinton, Crockett, Ania Austin, Candace Alley and Greer already in place to provide a solid starting core, the addition of players from a solid JV team should provide the Lady Cougars with depth.  Pulaski County will find themselves in a unique situation, with a good number of both guards and taller inside players to rotate into the lineup.

William Fleming will advance to the second round of the Conference 24 playoffs, hosting Bassett on Thursday.

Comments

comments

24 Responses to William Fleming too strong for Lady Cougars

1. Pete

February 20, 2014 at 10:04 am

In your third paragraph, your numbers don’t add up.Down 17-5, the cougars outscored their opponent 17-11 to trail 38-22? It should be trailing 28-22. How in the world can a coach not adjust his defense in the third quarter and let 36 points be scored on them? 28 turnovers? Can’t the coach put the ball in the hands of a developed point guard, no matter what grade they are? I feel bad for the seniors to go out like this. They deserved better. With as much talent that is on the roster, a good coaching staff should find a way to win. Coach Buddy Farris anyone?

• Editor

February 20, 2014 at 10:38 am

Editors Note:

Thanks for catching that. I need to stop typing at 3 a.m.

David Gravely
      Sports Editor

2. Henry

February 20, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Perhaps Mark Hanks will now retire from coaching and concentrate on being an assistant principal. In my opinion, the team should have competed better this year with all its talent. At times, the offense looked puzzled and nonexistent. Just my two cents.

• Spectator

February 20, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Puzzled and nonexistent is pretty spot on. When a Varsity team looks completely clueless as to how to handle a full court press something is wrong. It’s been a while since I played ball, but they start pressing in elementary school, a team should know how to handle things like that by this age.

• Ralph

February 20, 2014 at 3:17 pm

You’re so right. The press is not hard to break if everyone is in the right position…and that’s coaching. If the starting five refuse to listen, then the next five will gladly take their place….that will get their attention. Coach Hanks mentioned that the intensity of practice was lacking…once again, that’s coaching and selection of team members. Give me players that will give 100% all the time any day compared to lazy talented kids. How do you not work the ball inside with the height and leaping ability of our athletes? Coaching again. The rising ninth graders looked better than the starters on the varsity….not putting down the varsity, but the team work, ball movement and ability to work the ball inside was evident with the younger athletes. Perhaps Coach Akers should be the head varsity coach next year. He has proven himself more than any other coach in the county. Put Coach Buddy Farris as the head girl’s coach and then you’ll see the Cougars start to win again and be respected by their opponents.

3. Jimbo

February 20, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Turn the girl’s program over to Buddy Farris! Look at his track record!

4. Concerned

February 20, 2014 at 9:22 pm

You know there are teams in college that have difficulty breaking the press. If the press is so easy to break then nobody would run one. I think buddy Farris is a great coach who got screwed a long time ago. I don’t know that he would want to come back after the way he was treated. I will support whoever the coach is for either program. Coach hanks is still a great coach and did a good job this year. They were in position to take down a number 1 seed on their home floor but CC went on a run, a kid turned the ball over, missed a five footer, and it’s always the coaches fault. You all are ridiculous. Same ones who ran the last coach out of town b/c he didn’t know anything. How’s he doing now? Hmmmmm. State quarters, state finals,and 17-2 this year according to max preps.

It’s so easy to just put the next five in when the first don’t listen and then that five gets crushed and the coach gets bashed again for something else. YOU COACH BASHERS ARE PATHETIC. I hope sirak and king win big their first year or they will be bashed next.

5. Spectator

February 21, 2014 at 9:04 am

I was not bashing the coach. And I didn’t say the press was just simple to break either, BUT, if a team is pressing (the majority of a game I might add), and the entire lineup is looking around like they have no clue as to where to even start or what to do with it, then something is wrong. They have to move, and come to the ball. The lack of intensity mentioned in regards to practice shows at game time, and if the coaches allow laziness then that’s fine, but they can’t expect to win games that way.

I don’t know how much of it is coaching to be honest. We’ve came to a time where coaches can’t yell at kids without the kids thinking someone is being mean to them, or without their parents thinking their kid is too good to be yelled at. Then in return you have parents arguing with coaches about the fact that their child was told to get it together, or their kid isn’t getting as much playing time as they should. I don’t know how any coaches do it. Maybe we should just make high school sports the same as little league. Stop keeping score, tell everybody they did a great job, and give them all a trophy at the end of a season, it’s all about having fun anyways, who cares if we win.

• Betty

February 21, 2014 at 10:25 am

Love the response! “Concerned” is blinded by his/her loyalty to the Pulaski County colors and refuses to see reality. Athletics is a hard job because of parents, lazy athletes, “rec league” mentality, etc.

• concerned

February 21, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Yes, I love the Pulaski County Cougars. “Cougars till the day we die” is a phrase I used and heard throughout our athletic programs and believe it still today. As far as refusing to see reality, I don’t think I’m the one in fantasy land. I support whoever the coach is because I know how hard it is. I refuse to bash whoever the coach is on a message board even if I disagree with a play call, philosophy, etc. I also don’t single out players or coaches b/c I realize that difference between success and failure is sometimes not measured in wins and losses and that the differences between wins & losses are sometimes inches. A kid missed a 5 footer, he didn’t mean to, he tried, but he had the guts to take the shot is my philosophy.

Do I agree with every decision, every style of play, every play call, every substitution & would I do things differently sometimes then they did? Sure, but I don’t blame them for every thing that is wrong with Pulaski Athletics. The other reality that I live in is the one that believes it is difficult to attract & retain quality teachers and coaches – so when you get rid of a Mark Hanks or whoever, how big will the applicant pool be? You all ran McCulloch out of there and got Hanks back and now want him out. Who would want that job? Somebody mentioned how hard the JV played and that they played harder than the varsity & may have insinuated that the JV might have been better. Who runs the program? Doesn’t the JV practice under the same philosophy of Hanks?

Every program should win every year b/c we always have the kids so it must be the coaches fault is the common mantra used on these message boards but I refuse to place blame on a single individual. If that’s not reality, than that’s o.k. with me, I will live in my world and you can live in yours.

• Kathy

February 21, 2014 at 2:24 pm

That’s the best comment you have ever posted. Perhaps you’re not such a bad guy after all…you could could be human and a sports fanatic….we all have our opinion and are not robots, listening to everyone’s view is fun and should be respected.

6. Jane

February 21, 2014 at 10:34 am

I think Anthony Akers should take over the boy’s program. Look at his success as a player, high school, Division I player and coach. He was a great reputation in the county and the kids love him. Same goes for Buddy Farris! The girl’s program would be better if he was in charge.

• awesomepccougars

February 21, 2014 at 11:11 am

Anthony Akers and Buddy Farris for head coaches at PCHS! Sounds like a winner! Come on Scott Vest, make it happen!

7. Jack

February 21, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Wouldn’t it be cool if Mr. Vest fired Coach Hanks? But wait, he can’t because Mark Hanks is a principal and could write up/fire Mr. Vest. Seems to me, there is a conflict of interest with a principal being a coach.

8. Kathy

February 21, 2014 at 1:56 pm

The rising ninth graders deserve to have Anthony Akers and Buddy Farris follow them to the high school! The fans and parents should write the school administrators and tell them this!

9. burman

February 21, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Does Pulaski really care if it wins? Do the people in charge of running the school system even care? Pulaski is the biggest loser of any school in its classification in this region of the state. Who was the last team that won anything at the school? Reality check, blame ain’t at just one place, it’s all over.

• Larry

February 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Track & Field!!!!!! Check the records over the past ten years. And don’t feed me the line that it’s not a major sport and it don’t count….say that to the faces of those coaches, parents and athletes! Talent is everywhere in Pulaski County….it’s up to the coaches to pull that talent together and mold it into a competitive program. We might not win everything, but we can at least be respectable and competitive.

10. Susie

February 21, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Ask “concerned”…I’m sure she has an opinion on it!