Mother’s story continues to change

By SARAH BRADBURY

sarah@southwesttimes.com

The recent death of Cory Cole, the infant found buried in a shallow grave in a wooded area of Draper Thursday, Jan. 30, has sparked many questions in the community.

The Roanoke Times had originally reported Warden said she was having a hard time comprehending allegations against Cole and that she said she had never seen him abuse her children.

This did not resonate with several readers who had already seen The Southwest Times story in which Warden claimed to have reported Cole to social services several times for abusive behavior towards the children, and also to the police claiming he abused her while she was pregnant with Cory.

Warden now adamantly says Cole never abused any of her children.

Warden was originally interviewed by The Southwest Times just two days after her infant son’s body was recovered. The lengthy interview garnered information yet to be revealed, until now.

The interview began with Warden recounting Cole’s interactions with Cory during his first days. “He got upset with Cory; when he drank he got really irritated with Cory when he would cry. He promised me he wouldn’t drink anymore and I tried to believe him. When he was drunk on Sunday (Jan. 26) he picked him up out of the crib and told him to shut the f— up and threw him down on the crib,” explained Warden. “Cory didn’t cry or act like it hurt him in any way, so I just told Cole not to ever do that again and he promised he wouldn’t and he promised that he would quit drinking.”

According to Warden’s initial interview with The Southwest Times, abuse of Cory began almost right after he was born. “When Cory was a couple days old, I think it was his first or second day home from the hospital, Cole ripped the rest of his belly button off, fell asleep in the bed with him and left bruises on his face,” said Warden. “I took Cory to social services and to the doctor and social services took photos of it. Cole said he fell asleep on accident and told social services that his belly button had fallen off.” Warden said social services went to visit him at the jail where he was held for other crimes he had committed.

“Cole came to my house banging on my windows saying he was going to kill me. Said he would break in and beat my face in until it was unrecognizable. The guy I was dating called 911,” said Warden.

Warden also explains in detail a night on which Cole followed her throughout town to Fast Shop, where she finally called the police. “There are records. He admitted he had drugs on him. The police let him get in the car and leave but they charged me. … When I was pregnant with Cory he beat me and there is a police report,” said Warden.

When asked if she noticed anything different about Cole the night Cory went missing, Warden said, “On that night that he took Cory I was here (visiting her uncle, C.J. Eaton, and current boyfriend, Mike Altizer); I left my son with Cole and Lauren (Warden) and my brother (Richard Warden). He (Cole) lived there with us but he was never left alone at the house,” but Warden said she did not have any reason to feel uncomfortable about leaving Cory with Cole.

When asked if there were any other witnesses to the abuse of Cory, her uncle, C.J. Eaton, told Warden, “I’d prefer you don’t answer that.”

“I’m terrified if he (Cole) gets out he will come after me,” said Warden. “He’s already done this to Cory; he has nothing else to lose.”

Warden also said she feels threatened by the police and concerned they will try to hold her responsible.

108 Responses to Mother’s story continues to change

1. Unknown

February 13, 2014 at 3:56 pm

This is not the first time CPS in that town failed to do their jobs and won’t be the last! A Pulaski CPS worker was my last hope of protecting my children from being subjected to their fathers and his girlfriends drug addiction. It was def a false hope they did nothing to protect the children and helped the drug addicts by allowing visitation to continue after they failed drug screens and letting them reschedule the follow up drug screens!!!! Obviously they have the wrong people in those departments!!!

2. Citizen

February 13, 2014 at 4:07 pm

How could they not know? She was living with her brother and his wife/kids. You can’t tell me that they had no idea about the abuse or the drugs. That makes them all accomplices to me.

3. jasper123

February 13, 2014 at 4:28 pm

yep cj look that way who is this wanta be lawyer uncle eaton that tellin her they ratherfor her not to answer who else witness the abuse

• C.J

February 16, 2014 at 10:24 am

Wanna be lawyer uncle eaton lmao! Thats great because that was the first thing I said when seeing that! Just ANOTHER red flag, and witness. I hope this sets on them so hard, but from looking at what they, the family of Samantha, have to say, thet show NO sympathy. Just worried about HER. This one girl, also a Eaton said no matter if she did or didnt do it they love her and will always support her. I screen shot it because I have someone I want to show it too but everytime I read it I get this sick feeling. These people are AWFUL!

4. Real World

February 13, 2014 at 6:57 pm

It is a normal reaction for those that have no clue how things actually work with the legal system to blame someone. CPS workers and Police Officers work under the laws and guidelines that YOUR elected Governmental Officials create. Maybe you should go sit in court and see how lawyers manipulate the law to make many criminals look like victims of the ones that enforce these laws. Maybe you should look at the Juvenile Judge and see how many kids that are removed by CPS that are given back. Does anyone remember Trevor Hylton? 3 year old that the drug addicted mother let suffer before he died for hours because he was given back to her after being removed due to her drug use by CPS. That was not a CPS decision or law enforcement, that was a Judge that was giving a known addict her child back under her promise she would stop! Open your eyes people. I challenge any of you to do what our CPS workers and law enforcement officers do. How would you like to see children in the worst of environments and weeks later when everyone is cleaned up and wearing a suit or dress with a lawyer, have a Judge place the child back in the environment. Most of you don’t have the stomach to do what these people do and still have compassion to keep fighting for those that can’t. Go do a law enforcement or CPS ride-along and see how the world really is. I see all these posts up in arms, but yet if I attend a Town Council meeting or Board of Supervisors, I see a handful of people. That is who controls how many police you have, local ordinances, and where money is spent and for what in our communities. Governments main role is public safety and yet you allow your elected officials to spend money on ridiculous unnecessary things and cut the budgets of the ones that provide that safety. Get involved and voice you opinion through your elected officials on what priorities should be funded. Do we have enough parks or do we have an officer in every school. Which is more important when the crap hits the fan? Get involved or give your opinion without blaming those that are out there doing what most could not do. It might add for very little pay too!!!!!

• Sharieboo

February 14, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Ok listen here “real world” or whatever, I just so happen to be Trevor’s cousin/best friend. I would really appreciate if you leave his name out of your mouth. You have no right to be posting anything personal on this website. And by the way you need to get your facts straight before you try to prove a point. Trevor was NEVER taken by CPS. So maybe you should do your research. Your nothing to him so please once again leave his name out of your stupid little mouth and let him rest. Please and thank you!(:

• C.J

February 15, 2014 at 11:27 am

Ive seen first hand that they do not do all they can do. They do what they have to, sometimes, and never go above and beyond for all children. Cory is proof of that! I agree that there are rules they have to follow but their is NO sense in giving a baby back to a girl who brought him in saying the boy ripped his umbilical cord out and left bruises on his face! Not to mention the crap social services knew about his big sisters. Someone would have LOVED and PROTECTED that little guy with their life! I KNOW I would have!! People who chose that job to protect our babies need to speak up!!! And if they dont see anything wrong well then thats just scary!

• anon

February 15, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Um? Leave Trevor out of this. He was never taken by CPS? I would know, I’m family. Find something better to talk about instead of something you know absolutely NOTHING about. That poor babu is trying to rest. How rude of you. You should be ashamed.

5. Tonya

February 13, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Poor little baby, it sounds like this mom knows it was wrong, but may have become used to abuse, and just kept rationalizing away her fear for the safety of her child. Some abuse victims become accustomed to the violence. Still if my child’s father slammed my baby down in a crib they’d be investigating a murder, but it wouldn’t be the baby’s. The family who apparently knew this was going on and did nothing deserve to be charged as well. Whatever the case she is either lying or not right in the head. You don’t leave a helpless infant with a angry, violent drunk.

6. Anonymous

February 13, 2014 at 9:29 pm

The whole family should be punished. They all knew this poor baby was being abused.. They all should have to endure a long painful death.. Letting them live their life in prison is not a punishment for them. It’s time that people like this be punished to suite the horrible crime.. And getting three free meals a day and a roof over their head and medical care is way more than they deserve..

7. Kayla

February 13, 2014 at 10:35 pm

This completely ignorant, sad, pathetic excuse of a woman is disgusting and so are her actions. Everytime I see an update on this story my stomach turns with disgust. How about all these witnesses? There are far too many people involved in this story for it to have ended as badly as it did. Lots of people at fault here.

8. Tammie Nixon

February 14, 2014 at 5:26 am

I think everyone that was involved in this horrible situation should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Lock them all up and throw away the key.

9. LT

February 14, 2014 at 10:05 pm

So the general opinion here is that:
    Ms. Warden and Mr. Cole are jointly responsible for the death of the baby.
    Lauren and Richard Warden knew of this abuse from Mr. Cole and observed it at some time.
    Mr. Cole himself posted pictures of Ms. Warden after he hit her and caused stitches.
    It is stated that CPS was aware of this situation also and did nothing. It is said they have pictures of the child’s bruises.
    It is stated the local law enforcement was aware of Ms. Warden’s abuse.
    Ms. Warden left an innocent child with Mr. Cole that night after he threw him in the bed and “he didn’t make a sound” so she thought him alright or the other article states “threw him on the bed .. feet..”. She still had him around “after he tore his belly button off and caused bruises on his face”. What pain that caused that poor baby. He must have screamed and screamed. Where was she? Did she hear and see this going on? And didn’t call the law right then?
    Some stranger in Lynchburg called and she went with him taking so many articles. (Watch Channel news from Lynchburg, they showed a picture on Thursday of her belongings the police “couldn’t take” with them. Why? Evidence of drugs in them maybe and are they still there. That is another subject for another day.)
    How did Mr. Cole get to Radford after car left in Dublin McDonald? Walk?
    It is apparent this is one sick family. It seems every one failed this child from birth. All judicial systems failed him.
    There was not reason to issue an amber alert according to the “rules”. I keep telling you that if you want the laws changed on this matter GO TO RICHMOND. That is where the laws are made….
    As for the child’s custody, visitation papers, claims pictures exist of the child abuse by CPS, that remains to be seen in Court. As for which department of justice failed him exactly, that remains to be decided at a future day. Hold on… I say this because everything is being based on heresy and HER lies… Thus far, unless I have missed an article, which with all going on is possible, the only thing we know for sure is what has been found in the public Court records pertaining to HER statements. And personally, I wouldn’t trust her to tell me where the bathroom was in her own residence!!!
    There appears to be no reason this should have happened but IT DID… It was uncalled for and could have been prevented on many levels. The whole family and any friends who knew of these abuses at any time SHOULD HAVE COME FORWARD. She is a proven liar and as far as I can tell he is too. Notice all the articles center around her and her words and actions?
    ANOTHER POINT: Do you know how much of this is going on at this very second you are reading this? Child neglect and abuse? Do you know HOW MANY children in this County are in this situation and nothing is being done?
    PUBLIC: please be aware of children, especially if you know drugs or alcohol or adult abuse is taking place. NOTICE and DON’T HIDE your head in the sand and say “it doesn’t help to report it nothing will be done”. How do you know? So we think it is nagging CPS. What really matters, them or the child being abused?
    I personally hope neither one ever gets out from behind bars. To my knowledge and none of my business really, they are both able to bring more children into this world… What a sad thing to think about!!!
    Fight for laws to be changed where “the parents rights” don’t come first, but the CHILDRENS. Because until they change, the children don’t stand a chance… Doesn’t matter the CPS worker, the law officer, the Judge. The lawyers can twist any law to get the children back to the parents. Just think, they will have court appointed lawyers who will fight for their defense. And your tax dollars will pay for it. That is hard for me to chew and swallow folks!!! Not to mention your tax dollars will pay for their transportation to and from court, doctors to help get off drugs, etc… counselors to “help deal with this”. And I leave it at that…. for now.

• C.J

February 15, 2014 at 5:00 am

Amen! That about sums it up, for now! And your so right! Report, report, report, report report! I dont care if its family, friends, complete strangers, REPORT! At least at the end of the day you will know you spoke up for a child and tried! Its sick knowing at this very moment a child somewhere is being abused, physically sexually, mentally, or emotionally, or all four at the same damn time! Do you think these people have any limits! Something has got to change! This is not right, this is pure EVIL. Laws have got to change! Punishments need to be harsher! Dont have room in a jail? Find something to do with them! And keep them away from children period, their own, mine, and yours! I dont even want to be in the same town as them! Take away their reproductive parts with NO medication!!! The options are endless!! Also the big gray area on what the definition of abuse and neglect are need to be changed! There is no good neglect or abuse, and they should go hand in hand! This monsters neglect resulted in another monsters murder of their own 5 month old baby! Who cant see that? Besides the “family” that wouldnt protect this child.

• C.J

February 15, 2014 at 11:39 am

And our law enforcement! Please! If its not a traffic ticket they could care less! But I bet you if Bellas quit giving them the police discount they’d have something to say! I am embarressed to even call them law enforcement!

• C.J

February 15, 2014 at 11:50 am

And that reply was to Realworld. Also I believe law enforcement officers should have to EARN their names. Not by just meeting their quota, because traffic violations arnt going to protect the children! I would pay to watch them in places such as Chicago!

• JAS

February 15, 2014 at 3:29 pm

LEAVE PD ALONE AND BELLAS DO U KNOW HOWHARD IT IS ON PD TOGO FIND A LIL DEAD INFANT ITS HARD PLEASE THEY HAVE REGULATIONS TO GO BY THERE ARE NO STATEMENTS TO BACK HER STORIES UP YET HEY WAIT BEFORE U DOWN THEM IM SURE PD WANTED TO KILL THEM I SAW ALOT OF THE SHERIFFS DEPT GUYS AND I KNOW THEM PERSONALLY AND KNOW THEY HAVE LIL ONES TO AND I FEEL SO SORRY FOR THEM RIGHT NOW GOD BLESS PPD AND PULASKI SHERIFFS DEPT AND INVESTIGATION OFFICERS AS YA GO EVERY DAY TO PROTECT OUR COMMUNITIES THANK U

• C.J

February 16, 2014 at 10:08 am

I also know some of our police officers, retired and current, and its sad they dont have the best things to say about them. I dont doubt that situation and other situations are hard on their minds and hearts. But from personal expierience I know SOME lack in doing their job. Ive needed help, and never recieved it. And I know others too, adults and children. My comment on them wasnt directed to this situation. I just dont think they should be looked at like they are something so special. And no one can change my mind on that but them.

10. con

February 14, 2014 at 11:03 pm

As a father I can’t fathom the thought of doing such a horrible act to an innocent and beautiful child I would love to have five minutes alone with the one or ones responsible