Mother’s story continues to change

By SARAH BRADBURY

sarah@southwesttimes.com

The recent death of Cory Cole, the infant found buried in a shallow grave in a wooded area of Draper Thursday, Jan. 30, has sparked many questions in the community.

The Roanoke Times had originally reported Warden said she was having a hard time comprehending allegations against Cole and that she said she had never seen him abuse her children.

This did not resonate with several readers who had already seen The Southwest Times story in which Warden claimed to have reported Cole to social services several times for abusive behavior towards the children, and also to the police claiming he abused her while she was pregnant with Cory.

Warden now adamantly says Cole never abused any of her children.

Warden was originally interviewed by The Southwest Times just two days after her infant son’s body was recovered. The lengthy interview garnered information yet to be revealed, until now.

The interview began with Warden recounting Cole’s interactions with Cory during his first days. “He got upset with Cory; when he drank he got really irritated with Cory when he would cry. He promised me he wouldn’t drink anymore and I tried to believe him. When he was drunk on Sunday (Jan. 26) he picked him up out of the crib and told him to shut the f— up and threw him down on the crib,” explained Warden. “Cory didn’t cry or act like it hurt him in any way, so I just told Cole not to ever do that again and he promised he wouldn’t and he promised that he would quit drinking.”

According to Warden’s initial interview with The Southwest Times, abuse of Cory began almost right after he was born. “When Cory was a couple days old, I think it was his first or second day home from the hospital, Cole ripped the rest of his belly button off, fell asleep in the bed with him and left bruises on his face,” said Warden. “I took Cory to social services and to the doctor and social services took photos of it. Cole said he fell asleep on accident and told social services that his belly button had fallen off.” Warden said social services went to visit him at the jail where he was held for other crimes he had committed.

“Cole came to my house banging on my windows saying he was going to kill me. Said he would break in and beat my face in until it was unrecognizable. The guy I was dating called 911,” said Warden.

Warden also explains in detail a night on which Cole followed her throughout town to Fast Shop, where she finally called the police. “There are records. He admitted he had drugs on him. The police let him get in the car and leave but they charged me. … When I was pregnant with Cory he beat me and there is a police report,” said Warden.

When asked if she noticed anything different about Cole the night Cory went missing, Warden said, “On that night that he took Cory I was here (visiting her uncle, C.J. Eaton, and current boyfriend, Mike Altizer); I left my son with Cole and Lauren (Warden) and my brother (Richard Warden). He (Cole) lived there with us but he was never left alone at the house,” but Warden said she did not have any reason to feel uncomfortable about leaving Cory with Cole.

When asked if there were any other witnesses to the abuse of Cory, her uncle, C.J. Eaton, told Warden, “I’d prefer you don’t answer that.”

“I’m terrified if he (Cole) gets out he will come after me,” said Warden. “He’s already done this to Cory; he has nothing else to lose.”

Warden also said she feels threatened by the police and concerned they will try to hold her responsible.

108 Responses to Mother’s story continues to change

1. Becca

February 13, 2014 at 2:17 am

As a Mother myself, this is just shocking. If my baby’s father would have ever done anything to my children I would be very uncomfortable leaving my children with him. She was not uncomfortable at all. I strongly feel that she did neglect baby Cory by leaving him period (just to go visit with a boyfriend. This seems to be a very messed up situation. I am very anxious to see what comes out on Thursday; again I think the community will see how the Mother’s actions played in huge role in Baby Cory’s death. God Bless Baby Cory. He is in heaven and out of harms way now.

Pissed of Mother!!!

2. tanya Bousman

February 13, 2014 at 2:18 am

I know that when drugs are involved in a persons life it can become very violent and lies get told to cover up more lies.im a recovering drug addict .And our father who is in heaven decided that the pain this child was enduring here on earth was just to much for him and that child to bear .So god decided to take this child to a better place.He is where god wants him to be.If it wasnt for god i wouldnt have got my life and my children back.God has a plan for us to follow and its up to us to live by it.gods will will be done.rest in peace Corey.

3. sickened

February 13, 2014 at 2:58 am

Drugs destroy a persons ability to love. Drugs rule your every thought and feeling and turn you into a different person with no empathy, sympathy, love, morals, lies are all you hear because the honesty, awareness, and conscience etc. drugs are the devil’s puppet strings. An addict basks in attention even if its due to your murdered child. Has anyone pointed out this is not warden and cole’s dead child. They also had another son prior to the recent happenings. He was too only a few months old. Crib death they say, now you have to wonder. I agree both parents are responsible for the death of baby cory and if justice is or is not served with their earthly life, they will be judged upon death by God. As we shed tears for that poor little babies death remember that baby is in the arms of our Lord and he shall suffer no more.

• Anyonum

February 13, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Her other son that passed away was NOT Cole’s son. It was a son that she had with her ex-husband. And he did NOT die from crib death, he passed away during heart surgery. Even though I feel that Warden is guilty as all get out, people need to know the facts before they post things.

4. K

February 13, 2014 at 3:14 am

She had already had 1 like boy die at 3&1/2 months and her husband has her oldest daughter and her mother has the youngest daughter. I don’t know why no one took this baby. I know Samantha very very good. I have felt there was to many holes in her story’s. She is a junkie and if she was hanging with that guy cj then they were shooting up.. She didn’t look like a mother who’s baby was just murder.. Coloring her hair blue going to the funeral dressed the way she did looking jacked up.. If it had been one of my children someone who have had to be holding me up and I wouldn’t have had the press at my baby’s funeral to me u think she just likes the attention.. I think she had just as much to so with it as cole.. They both should get the needle

• BARBARASIMPKINS

February 13, 2014 at 2:20 pm

i thought the other child died in surgery

5. Amy Kemp

February 13, 2014 at 6:01 am

Clearly this girl is scattering lies through her whole story. She is responsible, in that she never should have left Cory with Cole after witnessing prior abuse. I have to question why Social Services had not placed a protective order against the father, not allowing him to be in the presence of Cory if not supervised by a trusted third party.

• Still confused

February 13, 2014 at 8:24 am

I thought in one of her interviews she did say he was not suppose to be around the baby unsupervised. She didn’t specify in that story who was supervising when she left, but I see in this story it was mentioned. Every interview seems to contradict what has been said previously. I keep praying that the media is picking and choosing what they want to release for the sake of a “good” story. I’m trying to remind myself to not be quick to pass blame, but in circumstances like these it is very difficult to be open minded until all evidence has surfaced.

• Anyonum

February 13, 2014 at 2:19 pm

That should tell you right there that Cory was not abused by his father. I honestly believe that Warden is the one that killed that baby and that she is setting Cole up to take the fall. Either way, someone needs to be held responsible!

6. Anonymous

February 13, 2014 at 6:19 am

Samantha Warden failed Cory as a mother.Nobody would leave a child with someone as she did having been abused herself and knowing he abused her children.

7. WTF

February 13, 2014 at 7:07 am

She is not in jail…..You can look under NRVRJ.org and go under inmate lookup to search. So obviously she was bonded out, URGHHHHHHH, SICK!!!Not holding a light up whatsoever for the “dad” (shes not even sure he is)but everyone is seeing that she has done NOTHING but lie so lets take into account that the abuse thing was a total lie too.It is obvious that the “dad” had involvement but I think the mother is not oblivious to what happened as it happened. She was totally involved.TRASH, just a piece of TRASH.And I know for a fact she is an attention getter so the bruises that her coworker saw on her face couldve came from anywhere considering that life that she leads. Final thought, if you lost your child to a horrific untimely death, Why The HELL would you stay on facebook or continue to contact newspapers and media???Seems to me you would be grieving your heart out so much you could barely even function on a day to day basis. Any good mother would be falling apart.

• oopsidaisy

February 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Roanoke Times says she’s being held without bond. If arrested in Carroll County it may be she’s being held in another jail? Given the weather maybe they simply couldn’t transport her anywhere yet.

• Anyonum

February 13, 2014 at 2:20 pm

She was not bonded out. If you ACTUALLY READ the entire post, she is being held in Campbell County without bond waiting to be brought back to Pulaski County.

• Unknown

February 13, 2014 at 4:33 pm

shes under samantha taylor not bonded out….

• concerned

February 13, 2014 at 7:30 pm

she is in jail…not made it to nrvrj yet and has no bond…she hasnt been booked yet…wont be untill they get her back to pulaski county….shes still bein held in carroll county…probably due to weather..

• jasper123

February 13, 2014 at 8:12 pm

SHES IN BLUERIDGE JAIL TIL WEATHER GETS BETTER

8. Citizen

February 13, 2014 at 8:36 am

I love how her entire family has been defensive, telling people on Facebook who spoke bad of Samantha to shut their lying mouths. I wonder where they are now? I’m even more curious why Lauren and her brother are not being accountable too. If they all lived together then they all had to know about the abuse. Someone didn’t do their job by letting Cole leave with Cory. Sounds like too much covering up going on with them all.

• jasper123

February 13, 2014 at 8:36 pm

HEYSAM TOOK CARE OF THAT IN ONE OF THE NEWSPAPERS SHE GAVE NAMES LAUREN RICHARD WARDEN WHEN ASKED WHO ELSE SAW IT SHE WAS TOLD BY HER UNCLE NOT TO ANSWER THAT

9. Anonymous

February 13, 2014 at 9:03 am

Jesus…the whole family knew this child was being abused???!! Sorry asses…they should lose all the children in the household!

10. concerned mother

February 13, 2014 at 9:26 am

it dont take a brain storm to figured this out! as a mother i knew the reports were conflicting, i think the news reporters started catching it pretty quickly. good job for staying on top of it, lets get on with prosecuting the quilty for this babies murder. enough of her t.v time with he performances.