Mother’s story continues to change

By SARAH BRADBURY

sarah@southwesttimes.com

The recent death of Cory Cole, the infant found buried in a shallow grave in a wooded area of Draper Thursday, Jan. 30, has sparked many questions in the community.

The Roanoke Times had originally reported Warden said she was having a hard time comprehending allegations against Cole and that she said she had never seen him abuse her children.

This did not resonate with several readers who had already seen The Southwest Times story in which Warden claimed to have reported Cole to social services several times for abusive behavior towards the children, and also to the police claiming he abused her while she was pregnant with Cory.

Warden now adamantly says Cole never abused any of her children.

Warden was originally interviewed by The Southwest Times just two days after her infant son’s body was recovered. The lengthy interview garnered information yet to be revealed, until now.

The interview began with Warden recounting Cole’s interactions with Cory during his first days. “He got upset with Cory; when he drank he got really irritated with Cory when he would cry. He promised me he wouldn’t drink anymore and I tried to believe him. When he was drunk on Sunday (Jan. 26) he picked him up out of the crib and told him to shut the f— up and threw him down on the crib,” explained Warden. “Cory didn’t cry or act like it hurt him in any way, so I just told Cole not to ever do that again and he promised he wouldn’t and he promised that he would quit drinking.”

According to Warden’s initial interview with The Southwest Times, abuse of Cory began almost right after he was born. “When Cory was a couple days old, I think it was his first or second day home from the hospital, Cole ripped the rest of his belly button off, fell asleep in the bed with him and left bruises on his face,” said Warden. “I took Cory to social services and to the doctor and social services took photos of it. Cole said he fell asleep on accident and told social services that his belly button had fallen off.” Warden said social services went to visit him at the jail where he was held for other crimes he had committed.

“Cole came to my house banging on my windows saying he was going to kill me. Said he would break in and beat my face in until it was unrecognizable. The guy I was dating called 911,” said Warden.

Warden also explains in detail a night on which Cole followed her throughout town to Fast Shop, where she finally called the police. “There are records. He admitted he had drugs on him. The police let him get in the car and leave but they charged me. … When I was pregnant with Cory he beat me and there is a police report,” said Warden.

When asked if she noticed anything different about Cole the night Cory went missing, Warden said, “On that night that he took Cory I was here (visiting her uncle, C.J. Eaton, and current boyfriend, Mike Altizer); I left my son with Cole and Lauren (Warden) and my brother (Richard Warden). He (Cole) lived there with us but he was never left alone at the house,” but Warden said she did not have any reason to feel uncomfortable about leaving Cory with Cole.

When asked if there were any other witnesses to the abuse of Cory, her uncle, C.J. Eaton, told Warden, “I’d prefer you don’t answer that.”

“I’m terrified if he (Cole) gets out he will come after me,” said Warden. “He’s already done this to Cory; he has nothing else to lose.”

Warden also said she feels threatened by the police and concerned they will try to hold her responsible.

108 Responses to Mother’s story continues to change

1. Citizen

February 12, 2014 at 3:02 pm

She probably doesn’t remember herself if he beat her kids or not. Meth and crack cause memory loss when used heavily.

2. Jynx

February 12, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Can’t wait to see how this turns out for her. She is admitting giving false statements to police and the courts. She should be charged with failure to protect and child neglect for starters. She should also be charged with giving false statements to law enforcement and lying under oath when she took out the abuse allegations. Seems to me the poor baby is better off where he is now.

3. Jamey Wright

February 12, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I worked with Samantha and she came in several times with bruises on her face. So that man had to be abusive to her and the children. She even said he abusied her.

4. Kay

February 12, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Ive said all along something just is not right here! Tell the truth already! The police were searching for him because he was being accused of child abuse! Guilty people lie! So now all we need to know is what part she had in the death of her son!

5. Anyonum

February 12, 2014 at 6:37 pm

How can the police not think that she had something to do with this? Her story keeps changing, she keeps lying, and why would she have left her child at home alone with her fiancée if he was or had abused her son????? In her story to the Roanoke Times, she said that Cole was her fiancée but to the Southwest Times, she has another boyfriend…really? It’s not adding up!

6. ?

February 12, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Im so furious at these two adults for putting this beautiful baby boy through such sadness and abuse during the small amount of time that he got to spend in this world. It makes me sick to my stomach wondering what kind of pain this child suffered when he was killed. The mothers changing story makes me wonder why she keep lying. What is she covering up. I hope that she is threatened by the police and I hope that they do hold her responsible for her part in this awful tragedy. I sickens me to know that Warden is “terrified” that Cole may come after her next, I wish that she could have been “terrified” of what Cole was going to do to little Cory when she left him alone with this jealous crazy monster while she went to spend the night with boyfriend.Why couldnt this mother step up and protect her baby and take the baby with her or stay home with the 5 month old. I hope the story that she gave to social services about Cory being abused at 2 days old is false because it breaks my heart to know that this little baby had to be in pain his whole little life. If true why did social services not step in a take this baby so far away from these crazy people who did not deserve him? Samantha Warden and Howard Cole you made this beautiful baby have a miserable life, even Hell is to good for you!!

7. C.J

February 12, 2014 at 8:03 pm

She is 100% responsible, whether the police hold her responsible or not. I feel so sad for all the children she selfishly and irresponsibly brought into this world, and any future more. What a life.

8. C.J

February 12, 2014 at 8:18 pm

And I think she should also worry about the public knowing she’s responsible. Jail would probably be her safest place, even though I personally think jail is too good for either of them, only bright side to that would be she couldnt get pregnant in there, I would hope. Im afraid there will never be justice for this baby boy, maybe even a chance of it happening again.

9. Wanda Ridpath

February 12, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I just pray the good LORD will bring it all to light. Who ever was involved in this horrible crime needs to be held accountable.
    GOD love Baby Cory!!!

10. Still confused

February 12, 2014 at 10:49 pm

She didn’t have any reason to feel uncomfortable leaving Cory with Cole? He threw him down in his crib & left bruises on his face shall I go on? This absolutely makes no sense! I still get sick to my stomach when I read anything about this innocent gift from God. I just keep telling myself he is in God’s arms and there is no better place to be.