Mother’s story continues to change

By SARAH BRADBURY

sarah@southwesttimes.com

The recent death of Cory Cole, the infant found buried in a shallow grave in a wooded area of Draper Thursday, Jan. 30, has sparked many questions in the community.

The Roanoke Times had originally reported Warden said she was having a hard time comprehending allegations against Cole and that she said she had never seen him abuse her children.

This did not resonate with several readers who had already seen The Southwest Times story in which Warden claimed to have reported Cole to social services several times for abusive behavior towards the children, and also to the police claiming he abused her while she was pregnant with Cory.

Warden now adamantly says Cole never abused any of her children.

Warden was originally interviewed by The Southwest Times just two days after her infant son’s body was recovered. The lengthy interview garnered information yet to be revealed, until now.

The interview began with Warden recounting Cole’s interactions with Cory during his first days. “He got upset with Cory; when he drank he got really irritated with Cory when he would cry. He promised me he wouldn’t drink anymore and I tried to believe him. When he was drunk on Sunday (Jan. 26) he picked him up out of the crib and told him to shut the f— up and threw him down on the crib,” explained Warden. “Cory didn’t cry or act like it hurt him in any way, so I just told Cole not to ever do that again and he promised he wouldn’t and he promised that he would quit drinking.”

According to Warden’s initial interview with The Southwest Times, abuse of Cory began almost right after he was born. “When Cory was a couple days old, I think it was his first or second day home from the hospital, Cole ripped the rest of his belly button off, fell asleep in the bed with him and left bruises on his face,” said Warden. “I took Cory to social services and to the doctor and social services took photos of it. Cole said he fell asleep on accident and told social services that his belly button had fallen off.” Warden said social services went to visit him at the jail where he was held for other crimes he had committed.

“Cole came to my house banging on my windows saying he was going to kill me. Said he would break in and beat my face in until it was unrecognizable. The guy I was dating called 911,” said Warden.

Warden also explains in detail a night on which Cole followed her throughout town to Fast Shop, where she finally called the police. “There are records. He admitted he had drugs on him. The police let him get in the car and leave but they charged me. … When I was pregnant with Cory he beat me and there is a police report,” said Warden.

When asked if she noticed anything different about Cole the night Cory went missing, Warden said, “On that night that he took Cory I was here (visiting her uncle, C.J. Eaton, and current boyfriend, Mike Altizer); I left my son with Cole and Lauren (Warden) and my brother (Richard Warden). He (Cole) lived there with us but he was never left alone at the house,” but Warden said she did not have any reason to feel uncomfortable about leaving Cory with Cole.

When asked if there were any other witnesses to the abuse of Cory, her uncle, C.J. Eaton, told Warden, “I’d prefer you don’t answer that.”

“I’m terrified if he (Cole) gets out he will come after me,” said Warden. “He’s already done this to Cory; he has nothing else to lose.”

Warden also said she feels threatened by the police and concerned they will try to hold her responsible.

108 Responses to Mother’s story continues to change

1. CJ

February 20, 2014 at 12:13 am

Amen Lynn!

2. CJ

February 20, 2014 at 12:18 am

I urge people to look up the page on face book APAP, abuse prevention awareness protection, its new and I just joined it and they are going to help educate people on what to do. They have already posted a meeting with someone who could help us in dublin on Feb. 25 from 2-4 at the town hall! Hope its a big turn out! Its a step!

3. steve

February 20, 2014 at 9:03 am

If your are witnessing child abuse then call police. Reporting to cps or social services will delay the child getting immediate attention. And then notify them.

4. Idiocracy

February 21, 2014 at 9:49 am

I hope they fry the mother! I am also ECSTATIC that they finally arrested that piece of trash. It makes me sick how she manipulated the media to gain attention for herself. It’s my personal opinion that the father may have only played a small role in this situation, if any at all. If you research incidents like this, it’s the mothers who typically beat the babies- men tend to shake them. Google “Susan Smith” and this would be a perfect example. She killed her own children and then reported them missing… hmmm… sound familiar? I have been keeping very updated on this story and have read numerous stories and accusations made by the mother. First the couple is together and trying to save money to buy a house, then they aren’t together and she’s with her new boyfriend. Cole abuses the children, then Cole doesn’t abuse the children but abuses her, then he doesn’t abuse anyone at all. I was in attendance at the child’s funeral and that mother DID NOT shed one single tear until the news cameras came in and started filming. It made me sick seeing how she was up there rubbing all over that innocent child’s body and “crying”. Let me tell you that she was extremely composed and was more worried about trying to get people to talk to the news reporters. BY NO MEANS am I trying to take up for the father- he’s a real piece of work- but the only story anyone is hearing is the mother’s story! I will also add this- deadbeat thieves don’t exactly fit the profile of child murderer. So alot of people commenting on this article need to do a little research before they post. Yes the father is a loser but I have yet to see where the news or the police said he had any involvement in the child’s death. His “felony child abuse” charge was received after the MOTHER accused him of throwing the baby. Based on the word of the mother- (eye roll)- and after she reported this, she then proceeded to place herself as far from the situation/location as possible. If that’s not fishy, I don’t know what is. And, on a last note, the father has still not been charged with the death of the baby… but then again, neither has the mother… but it’s coming. But everyone be aware of this– the mother is truly crazy (the whole family is crazy)– so she will probably get off with a couple years in the psych ward. So justice will not be done in this case. But I just want the justice system to keep in mind that this woman was not crazy enough to NOT manipulate the community and media. I hope her plotting and planning is what does her in. She’s not that dam crazy, so send her to prison! We don’t need her being released so she can have MORE children. I am, however, curious as to the circumstances surrounding the death of her first son… “He died of complications from heart surgery”– did he die at home? Did he die at the hospital? Just a little food for thought.

• ?????

February 24, 2014 at 9:06 am

A breath of fresh air

• jasper123

February 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm

so well said u got right to the point

5. truth be told

February 22, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Her first son was born with Left Heart Plastic Syndrome (LHPS) which is a birth defect not caused by drugs as others have said. He was to have three surgeries within the first two years of his life. There were complications during his second surgery and he passed away. It makes me sick to read all the comments from people about the first child lost. All the allegations of her causing his death because of drugs etc is nonsense.
    I work in the medical field and nothing, drugs, smoking cig, drinking etc causes LHPS it is a genetic birth defect. Educate yourselves people before disturbing a child that’s been laid to rest.

6. anonymous

February 23, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Ok I know for an absolute fact that the first son died from complications from surgery IN THE HOSPITAL! Can we as a community not have respect for the first sons father who still misses his son daily and underdstand that there is family that your comments are hurting???This innocent child DOES NOT need to brought into this! And in regards to the ridiculous comments I’ve read in regards to the 6 year olds care. For those who seem to think this is of their concern I can with absolute certainty assure you and put your minds to ease that this child is VERY well taken care of!!!!! This is a horrible tragedy but these innocent children need to be left out of this!!!!

• Va Girl

February 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Glad to know at least one of her children has a stable life. Drug addiction is a terrible thing. All walks of life succumb to it and the children and loved ones of those affected suffer most.

7. thanks

February 23, 2014 at 3:00 pm

thank you for straightening that up! might not be important to anyone else that reads this that the truth was finally said but I assure you that I for one am most greatful

8. Elizabeth

February 26, 2014 at 9:56 am

I am following this story also through the news. I thought Warden’s story was full of inconsistencies from the beginning. What mother *knows* a father abuses their child and she leaves the child? She spent the night visiting her uncle and new boyfriend. That does not add up. Was Cole her fiancé or not? I can’t follow all the twists and turns of her story. I do not think she should have allowed media and photos at the funeral. I am hopeful the truth comes out and someone is charged with the murder of the baby. Right now those two dimwits are sitting in jail sucking up resources without anyone being charged for the murder. People like these need to stop laying around breeding like stray animals. Children deserve all the love, care, and protection that parents can provide.