Baby was buried in shallow grave

An infant whose body was found in a wooded section of Draper Thursday night was buried in a shallow grave, according to Pulaski Police Chief Gary Roche.

Roche said he has “an idea” how long the body had been there, but he declined to speculate. Results of an autopsy are expected early this week. Until that time he said the baby cannot be positively identified as five-month-old Cory Samuel Cole and the cause of death will not be confirmed.

A missing and endangered child alert was issued for Cory after police learned the baby had last been seen with his father, Howard Samuel Cole, around 7 p.m. Monday and that the father allegedly had abused the baby the day before.

Cole was arrested behind the Fairlawn Walmart around 10:30 a.m. Thursday, but Cory was nowhere to be found.

Pulaski County Sheriff Jim Davis said officers started combing the wooded area, on private property in the vicinity of Draper Valley Road around 4 p.m. Thursday.

At this point, Cole is only facing a charge of felony child abuse in connection with the alleged abuse. Roche has declined to comment on details of that incident.

He also declined to speculate whether anyone else could be charged in the case, noting that there is still a lot of work to be done on the investigation.

Law enforcement cleared the crime scene where the infant’s body was found around 10:30 p.m. Thursday. Roche said members of the sheriff’s department returned there around noon Friday to “map the scene.”

Surveying equipment is used to map a scene in order to pinpoint the location of critical evidence in preparation for trial. By Friday evening, he said, officers had finished work at the scene.

Police searched Cole’s residence on Crestline Drive Wednesday night. Asked whether any items pertinent to the case were found, the police chief would only say, “We recovered evidentiary items.”

The court sealed an inventory of items seized during the search, according to Pulaski County Circuit Court personnel.

Cole is being held without bond at New River Valley Regional Jail.

6 Responses to Baby was buried in shallow grave

1. sylvia pack

February 3, 2014 at 1:18 pm

this story really bothers me that someone ,( a parent) could do this too an innocent child . i hope they find this nothing of a person guilty and drop the prison on him for the rest of his days.

2. Kay

February 3, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Bless this childs family. Many many questions need answers. Such as why was the baby left in this mans care when he was already having child abuse charges against him? I have not read one article stating that he had abducted the child. Hope he rots in jail, and anyone else who had a hand in this!

3. Patty

February 3, 2014 at 7:21 pm

You know syvia , he will get time , but he will eat and get fat off tax payers money a good place that’s warm , I wish he would see the death , but it doesn’t work that way ,

4. Darlene Sandford

February 4, 2014 at 3:27 am

First of all I can not for the life of me fathom how some one could hurt an inncent baby or child for that matter. It is just beyond me, why did you bring him into this world anyway! I lived in Dublin and worked in Pulaski Co. for 3 years, it was such a wonderful place to live, the people were nice and the crime rate was so low. I know this horrible crime has really upset the people of Pulaski and surrounding areas I hope you can all pull together and give strength to one another. God Bless You All! I hope the father gets the maximum amount of punishment allowed, and that probably won’t be enough! Prayiig for you all!

5. Darlene Sandford

February 4, 2014 at 3:29 am

First of all I can not for the life of me fathom how some one could hurt an inncent baby or child for that matter. It is just beyond me, why did you bring him into this world anyway! I lived in Dublin and worked in Pulaski Co. for 3 years, it was such a wonderful place to live, the people were nice and the crime rate was so low. I know this horrible crime has really upset the people of Pulaski and surrounding areas I hope you can all pull together and give strength to one another. God Bless You All! I hope the father gets the maximum amount of punishment allowed, and that probably won’t be enough! Praying for you all!

6. Dottie

February 5, 2014 at 10:21 pm

This once again shows how sick our country, the Lord’s earth, has become. Yes, this father will pay and the punishment here on earth will be nothing compared to his punishment from God. We know that precious baby will never have to be concerned about belonging to Jesus…..he is already there.