Sunday hunting in Virginia: One hunters opinion

By Roger Williams,SWT Outdoors

Should the law be changed? Should hunters be allowed to pursue game on Sundays in Virginia?

206283_531982796828103_661345506_n

I personally think that the time has arrived to allow hunters to decide if they want to seek their prey on the only other week-end day available to working men.

I cannot understand the logic behind a law that prohibits the most efficient predator from performing his duty to the wildlife of this State on one day of the week. The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has done a wonderful job in growing the game animals’ populations but are now faced with problems caused by this growth.

Urban Archery seasons adopted by many Towns and Cities in the Commonwealth are an indication of control efforts in neighborhoods and subdivisions troubled by foraging animals.

The deer and bear populations have more than doubled in the last decade. The natural predators of these animals have not kept pace and are therefore unable to keep them under control. Driving along secondary roads late in the evenings is becoming a dangerous activity, particularly during the deer rutting season in the fall. Lots of damage to vehicles is caused by the unwary deer crossing or standing in these roadways.

If hunters were allowed to prey on the deer for one more day of the week, and also with a less restrictive kill limit imposed on them daily, a more significant harvest could be accomplished.

Mother Nature will eventually take care of these overpopulations by causing disease and famine to reduce the herd. There have been some indications of this thinning already. Smaller fawns, CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) infected deer, and the loss of understory by over browsing have destroyed both forage and cover for deer as well as other species of game animals.

It is now time to make positive decisions and I think rescinding the Sunday ban on hunting is a good first step in controlling the growth of the herds. The legislature is again considering this ban and you should make your feelings known to them so that they can determine the proper course of action in their vote as your representative.

10 Responses to Sunday hunting in Virginia: One hunters opinion

1. Matthew O'Brien

January 27, 2014 at 8:58 am

Another citizen’s opinion: Pass this compromise private property rights bill. That is the beauty of this bill, it would be for you the land owner to decide. This is a smaller less intrusive government bill.

Please pass this compromise bill and everyone can walk away happy know that the freedom to decide rests in their hands, those same hands that have worked hard and paid for that private property.

2. Mark Dickinson

January 27, 2014 at 9:30 am

Are there any other old blue laws that limit property owners rights? It’s time to allow property owners the ability to make the decision for what they will or not alow on there land.

• Va Girl

January 27, 2014 at 12:18 pm

That’s right. My husband works 5-6 days per week so he often doesn’t get a chance to hunt even though we only hunt our own property!

3. Curiouse

January 27, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I am an avid hunter with 50 plus years experience. GOD rested on the 7th day and Sunday is our Sabbath. I agree it should be left up to the hunter and land owner. I recall many times during my life that getting away to the mountains was a relief from all stress and worries. I look forward year to year, so I can get back out there and enjoy nature and the wild life we have here in Virginia. Hunters for food should be allowed to harvest game when ever they need it. Also I think the bag limits should be more. I know hunters that fill their freezers, and have to quit hunting due to limitations. Many hunters would hunt for the needy. The elderly and less fortunate need to eat also.

4. Will

January 27, 2014 at 4:41 pm

There’s one thing that comes to mind for me: It gives those who use the forest for reasons other than hunting a weekend day to use the forest and not risk being shot at.

This article appears to be written from the point of view that hunting is the only purpose for wildlife and forests.

That said, there’s no reason why private landowners shouldn’t be able to decide for themselves whether it is okay to hunt on Sunday.

A reasonable solution would be: In the National Forests and public lands no hunting on Sunday and for private land it’d be up to the land owner as long as populations are as great as they are currently.

• Va Girl

February 1, 2014 at 7:16 am

The bill is for hunting private land only. How’d you miss that? I’ve yet to read where it will be permitted on national forest land.

• Will

February 1, 2014 at 1:49 pm

It’s simple. This article never mentioned that.

5. Bob Tucker

January 31, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Sunday hunting should be allowed the same as other days.

6. James W

February 1, 2014 at 6:01 pm

The notion that a person should not be permitted to do something based on the scribblings in a strange book written a couple of thousand years ago is nothing short of comical. At the same time, hunting is also a rather bizarre activity that can in no way be called a sport. Let’s see – I’m going to go into the home of an animal, hide in camoflouge and track it, then shoot it with a high powered rifle while hiding some safe distance away. Wow! That must really make you a man! I’m soooo impressed!

7. Tim1969

February 3, 2014 at 8:49 am

Personally, I wish hunting season was longer. say like, august to January 1. then maybe we could thin out the deer population and have less car casualties!
    If a man is feeding his family or even another family, what he does on his on private land is his business. We buy groceries on Sunday, so tell me the difference.
    As far as James W poking fun at hunters. What’s your hobby? Coming on the SWT website only to poke fun at other people? That’s sad! You sir need to mind your own business. If not for hunting season, we would be overrun with deer and then you would be coming on the SWT website to complain about the population of deer.
    I do not hunt either. But I appreciate that other people like to hunt and quite frankly its none of my business. I don’t like venison so I don’t see the point of me hunting. My way of getting into nature is to play golf. Again no ones business.