St. Albans on Travel Channel series Friday

The Travel Channel’s paranormal television series, “The Dead Files,” will debut a documentary filmed in Fairlawn and Radford Friday.

The 60-minute show will focus on a paranormal investigation that the show’s team of investigators conducted at the former St. Albans Sanatorium in Fairlawn during 2013. A synopsis of the show states that the investigation allegedly “reveals evidence of patients being mistreated in the past.”

Although the show primarily focuses on the old sanatorium, which has been the site of several paranormal investigations, Radford Police Department Lt. Andy Wilburn said the early 1980s murder of Radford University freshman Gina Renee Hall will also be briefly discussed.

Stephen Matteson Epperly is serving a life sentence for Hall’s murder, even though her body was never found. He is one of the few people ever convicted of murder without the victim’s body being found. Wilburn said the show interviewed him about the Hall case.

One rumor that circulated at the time of the murder was that Epperly had placed Hall’s body in freshly poured cement at the St. Albans facility in Fairlawn.

Epperly, 61, is being held at Buckingham Correctional Center at Dillwyn, according to the Virginia Department of Corrections website. He was denied parole in August. The Parole board cited the following reasons for the denial:

“•The serious nature and circumstances of the offense,

•The Board considers you a risk to the community,

•You need to show a longer period of stable adjustment, and

•Your record of institutional infractions indicates a disregard for rules and that you are not ready to conform to society.”

“The Dead Files” airs at 10 p.m. on the Travel Channel, which is Channel 77 on Comcast Cable and 49 on Shentel Cable.

Comments

comments

8 Responses to St. Albans on Travel Channel series Friday

1. joan scott

January 3, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I have just watched the video about St. Albans Psychiatric Hospital on your Travel channel. I used to be a psychiatric nurse at this hospital. I could not believe the large amount of misinformation given by the male reporter and the female “so called psychic”. In my opinion, she acted as mentally disturbed as any of the patients that I treated while working there. In slang terms, she is NUTS!! I sat there feeling very irritated by what these two presented. Knowing what IS the truth and hearing them make these wild comments, makes me not want to watch future programs on your Travel Channel. Because if they lied about the one tonight on St. Albans, then they must lie about others that are shown. Over and over, these two would make statements that simply were not true. Remember, I worked there!! It was a wonderful hospital and helped many, many people. I imagine if any of these former patients saw this program, they would feel very hurt by it. I hope that some member of Dr. King’s family sues you because they sure would have grounds to do so. Dr. King started St. Albans Hospital years ago. Be careful of the facts and be sure they are correct, before presenting programs such as the one I saw tonight. Because many mistakes were in the one tonight, many, many, many mistakes

• Hmmm

January 6, 2014 at 11:54 am

Perhaps you should send this to The Travel Channel.

• joan scott

January 10, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I did send this to the travel channel or at least one expressing how I felt about this program. It is now january 10, and I have not received a response from either the Travel Channel or the Roanoke Times reporter.

2. Casper

January 4, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I assume that is Friday the 10th?

3. donna

January 4, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I just now found out that st, albans was on last night is it coming back on again or how can i see that? Am so upset would have loved to see that!

4. Bev Bishop

January 8, 2014 at 7:34 am

Donna, if you have xfinity on demand then go to it and click on tv shows and scroll until you find the travel channel and then it will give you a listing of their shows they have airred. Now, my question is, “Will the owner listen to Amy???” When one dismantles a place that was intended to help others then what one sees and hears is true anger from spirits that once was at peace. Props to Amy for actually stating the truth about many of the spirits with the exception of a few that are not there she mentioned. Joan, in what year did you begin work there and in what year did you retire?

• joan scott

January 10, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Bev Bishop, you ask when I worked at St Albans and when did I retire? I guess it was about 20 plus years ago. The large hospital no longer exists. It is now just a ward at Radford Hospital. Back when I nursed there, insurance would pay for months and months of care. I might be mistaken, but I think that insurance only pays for just a few days now. Personally, I feel that a person with emotional problems can’t be “cured” in just a few days of care. As to the woman psychic on the program? I think SHE is the one who needs psychiatric help. Or get a job as an actress. Because she sure was putting on an act, while on this program.

5. Bev Bishop

January 13, 2014 at 7:45 am

Joan, thank you for your response. When a child I was on that property and as an adult I still go there, now mainly on the 4th of July to watch the fireworks. I very much enjoy photography and have many photographs of St Albans as well as a few other places in our area that peaked my interest after catching faces in my photographs of spirits. As for Amy (the show girl) I think she was way off when it came to Gina Hall and Steve Epperly. However, she was on cue to stating that St Albans host spirits and they are angry from being used as evil show casings for people who only want to make money and continue to destory that old building.