Husband charged in wife’s murder

dickerson, leslie michaelMindy Dickerson was found dead in her Pulaski home in 2005

Almost nine years after she was found dead in her home, a Pulaski woman’s husband is charged with her murder.

Leslie “Les” Michael Dickerson, 35, was arrested in Texas Tuesday evening. He is accused of the January 2005 first-degree murder of Mindy Nicole Dickerson, according to a press release issued by Assistant Pulaski County Commonwealth’s Attorney Naomi Huntington and Pulaski Police Department Capt. Anthony Meredith.

A Pulaski County grand jury returned the indictment Monday and it was sealed pending Dickerson’s arrest. He was picked up in Montgomery County, Texas on a fugitive warrant and is being held there pending extradition to Virginia.

The indictment alleges Dickerson killed his wife “with premeditation and malice aforethought” between Jan. 26 and Jan. 27. First-degree murder is a Class 2 felony, carrying a sentence of 20 years to life.

In an interview with The Southwest Times in 2006, Mindy Dickerson’s mother said Les Dickerson called her Jan. 27, 2005 to report that he had just found Mindy dead. An earlier report indicated Les was in Richmond at the time of her death.

The 2006 newspaper report stated a search warrant for the couple’s home at 426 First St. indicated Mindy was found dead on her bed. She had scratches on her face, neck, mouth, nose and knees; and “red stains of an unknown origin in her hair,” according to the search warrant.

Police also received search warrants to obtain hair and blood samples from Les Dickerson and Michelle Lynn Smith. The Southwest Times report indicated Les Dickerson and Smith had married and moved to Payton, Texas. His address is now listed as Spring, Texas.

The 2006 report states that Mindy filed several criminal complaints in Pulaski County courts in 2004 alleging she was receiving harassing calls and text messages from a woman who claimed to be having a relationship with her husband. One complaint indicated the woman sent her a message saying, “Fear the silence. That’s when I get you.”

The identity of the woman was not reported due to the fact the charges were dismissed after Mindy’s death. Police said Mindy never reported any harassment to them.

Comments

comments

27 Responses to Husband charged in wife’s murder

1. Va Girl

January 17, 2014 at 10:35 am

I’m a bit confused. Maybe SW Times could do a story on the timeline? Or add links so we can read up on it ourselves.

How could Dickerson have been a fugitive so long unless neither he or his new wife’s family had a clue where they were?

And how long between the murder and Dickerson’s new marriage? Were they already married when the DNA samples were taken? This case took a long time to get to this point it seems.

2. Lola

January 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm

The medical examiner made a huge mistake and ruled that she died from a brain disease. What I would like to know is what prompted the second look at the cause of death. My guess is the family stayed involved. Look for this on Dateline.

3. Reader

January 17, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I don’t believe the wife he married (Smith) not long after the death of Mindy, is the same woman he is currently married to.

According the the WDBJ7, Mindy’s body was exhumed in October of last year because they think the brain tissue samples used by the medical examiner weren’t hers. So there must not have been enough evidence to indict him prior to that.

4. Va Girl

January 17, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Thank you Lola and Reader! Glad the family will finally get some justice although it will never fill the void of their lost loved one :(

5. P.Mason

January 17, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I Too was intrigued by this. I did a little investigation on my own. What I found via, http://www.courts.state.va.us was that the paper was correct on the 5 charges. You will have to navigate to the general district court pulaski county. Mindy Dickerson refered to after this as MD had filed 5 charges against Michelle Smith refered to after this as MS one of which was a violent no contact order my guess a restraining order. MS was scheduled to be in court for all 5 charges 2/14 however the plaintiff MD passed 1/27. No plaintiff no case. MS was the second wife. Im expecting we are just days away from big developments in this case. I truly feel for the family and hope all that all those responsible answer to a judge and or jury. Not taking any sides just stating the published facts. Did all this from my phone, todays electronic s are amazing.

6. Anonymous

January 17, 2014 at 10:02 pm

The original medical examiner stated she died of a brain disease. However, evidence spoke otherwise. A medical examiner fr Nancy Grace proved that the brain tissue they used wasn’t even hers. Therefore, the court ordered another autopsy. It was proven that she was strangled and no disease of the brain. Dickerson is now married to a third wife. They have been living in Texas. Police could not make an arrest until cause of death was changed on death certificate.

7. Adam Lucas

January 18, 2014 at 9:15 am

This story has so much more to it. Les married (a woman Michelle L. Smith – with whom he may have been having an affair with and who may also have been the person threatening the murder victim) a short time after the murder in 2005. You can see in the transcript to this news report that Les Married Michelle L. Smith in Virginia on a vt.edu archived transcript of the news report made by WDBJ.

Les then moved to Texas with Michelle Lynn (Smith) Dickerson and purchased a home in Spring, TX. It appears as if he moved to Spring to be employed with land development for HEB.

His credentials appear to be false. There is no record of him attending Virginia Tech. His LinkedIn, Facebook, Realtor Website, etc all show this information (that he attended VT). Moreover, there is contradiction in his own falsification of his attendance. In some places he claims to have a BS and others a BBA. He has two profiles set up on LinkedIn, and also has profiles on twitter, Facebook, point2agent, and Exit Realty.

Les was indicted for felony theft while in Texas when he was employed at the Home Depot in 2008 staging an armed robbery and stealing over $50,000 (court documents easily obtained on the Harris County District Clerk’s Website). He is currently on probation for this and initially served 30 days in Harris County Jail as a condition of probation. You will note his LinkedIn work history does not mention this employment and accounts for the one year missing from his “work history”. Also, in Texas, I am not sure how Les could be a licensed Realtor while serving probation for a felony.

The 2005 homicide investigation mentions planted / out of place evidence (a staged crime scene there as one was created 3 years later at the Home Depot).

During Les’s time in Texas, the Montgomery County Sherriff’s office has been called out to his home on Buffalo Canyon Drive for family disturbance calls in which domestic violence was taking place. Les and his 2nd wife, Michelle L. (Smith) Dickerson split and he is now married (since 2010 – informal) for a third time (Yahaira Solares-Dickerson). Texas does not maintain the marriage (or the divorce if one was ever filed) for Michelle and Les. That marriage most likely occurred in Virginia.

Michelle Lynn Smith has been part of the original investigation and she was the person who had blood and hair samples taken from her (same hyperlink reference above).

8. Va Girl

January 18, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Anonymous,

“Police could not make an arrest until cause of death was changed on death certificate.”

Thanks. That explains to me why he was able to live in Texas so long as if nothing ever happened in Virginia.

We have some very, good armchair investigators posting on this story. :)

9. Suway

January 18, 2014 at 7:28 pm

This is all so crazy to read. I worked with Les at Home Depot and he was one of the greatest employees, and was one of the only managers that actually did anything, as it seemed… Until he had staged the burglary. I was dumb founded and speechless when I heard that he was apart of the whole operation. There were rumors about his first wife, but I didn’t believe it at the time. His gambling was more believeable. If he did in fact murder his wife, by all means he should serve his time. I just hope that he’s not wrongly accused. My condolences go out to Mindy’s family.

10. michael sheppard

January 19, 2014 at 1:21 am

I will have to say I’m still in shock about all this. I was there when Les and Mindy met we all worked at Walmart TLE in Christiansburg Va. Me n Les went out to several bars and other places on Tech campus where he lived me n my wife before we was married went bowling at super bowl with les n mindy on several of their first dates. If Les never went to VT he done an awesome job of fooling people cause the four years we was in contact thru work and hanging out he would bring school work in books included to do at work graded papers and all. Now after we lost contact when I left to work in Pulaski we didn’t see each other as much the last time I had talked to him was when he was promoted to TLE manager at Walmart in Wytheville Va. He was always friendly to others and respectful. Like I said tho I did not talk to him at all after he left for Texas. Mindy was a sweet person she was always friendly and they seemed very much in love. Nobody is ever aware of what goes on behind closed doors I will say I really hope everything is done to get to the bottom of this so everyone involved comes to some form of peace. Having heard stories from from Les and Mindy both I would say persistence from Mindys family was the trigger to reopen this case, they never believed the medical examiners findings. My thought is how does a trained medical examiner make a mistake testing 3 brain tissue samples that are not the deceased brain tissue, how many times if this happens has an innocent person been locked up its scary the thought of someone in that position making these mistakes.