RADFORD – Fairlawn Volunteer Fire Department was called upon Wednesday morning to help fight a house fire in less than ideal conditions.
The temperature was only 9 degrees when Radford City Fire Department arrived on the scene of the 10:01 a.m. blaze at Joel E. Weddle’s home at 210 Rock Road, according to a press release from Radford spokeswoman Jenni Wilder.
Fairlawn provided mutual aid with one engine and 10 firefighters. Wilder said Radford had water on the fire within two minutes of the fire alarm, but firefighters were on the scene for just over two hours.
By the time units cleared the scene, the temperature had climbed to only 13 degrees.
Wilder said the fire was accidental and electrical in nature.
Weddle, a veteran of World War II, was in the basement of the home when the fire started. When he came upstairs he noticed the smoke and notified the fire department.
The loss was estimated at $130,000, according to the press release.
Radford Fire Department responded with three engines and 15 firefighters. The department’s chief, Lee Simpkins, thanked those who assisted with the fire scene, including his department, Radford Police Department, Emergency Medical Services, the Electric Department, Public Works, and Fairlawn Volunteer Fire Department “for a great job during such adverse conditions.”