Former cheer coach getting new attorney

Former Pulaski County High School cheerleading coach Angelia Paige Harrell agreed Friday that the relationship between herself and her attorney has broken down to the point she needs a new lawyer.

James C. Turk Jr. has represented Harrell since she was indicted in September 2012. She is charged with three counts of using her position as a public official to embezzle funds from the cheerleading program for her personal use.

However, Turk filed a Motion to Withdraw from the case Nov. 26. He contends the attorney/client relationship has “broken down,” that he feels there is no way to repair it, and that he “cannot be impartial towards his representation” of Harrell.

Harrell told Pulaski County Circuit Court Judge Marcus Long Jr. that she has already spoken with another attorney and should know early this week weather he will represent her. He instructed her to be back in court Dec. 20 unless her new attorney sends a letter to the court confirming his representation.

The judge also advised Harrell that the delay will be “charged” to the defense so that the commonwealth’s case isn’t impacted by requirements for a defendant’s right to a speedy trial. Harrell told him she understands.

The incidents for which Harrell is charged are alleged to have occurred between March 2010 and October 2011. Besides being head coach of the varsity cheerleading squad she also was a guidance counselor at the high school.

Special prosecutor Erin DeHart, commonwealth’s attorney for Bland County, did not object to the change in attorneys.

30 Responses to Former cheer coach getting new attorney

1. Anon

December 11, 2013 at 9:50 am

Read between the lines. No attorney is going to risk their reputation by petitioning to be removed as counsel a week before the trial is scheduled to start unless they are facing a serious ethical issue. This isn’t an issue of “getting along” with a cantankerous client, nor would the attorney have proceeded to this point without the retainer being paid.

Keep in mind, she could have fired her attorney at any time. This was not her decision in some plan to delay her trial.

Any number of things may have occurred from insisting on a defense strategy her lawyer recommended against, refusing to do what her lawyer insisted she to do prepare her defense, misleading her lawyer, or even planning to mislead the court. We will never know.

However, this will make other attorneys very wary of taking her on as a client. Especially experienced ones such as Mr. Turk that have the luxury of turning down clients.

2. Niel

December 11, 2013 at 10:58 am

Hey Billy J, nothing unusual here? How many times to defense attorneys drop recuse themselves from the case based on Turk’s explanation? Sorry, that’s pretty unusual.

3. Billy J

December 11, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Obviously MR and Va Girl are just mad and apparently can’t read my post. She may be guilty as sin and deserve to go to prison for a long time. I don’t know and I really don’t care. My only point is that these folks that are whining about there being some crooked deals behind the scene and/or that this case is taking longer than other cases are simply watching too much TV or are living in an imaginary world. Just let it play out normally and you will see that if she is guilty she will be convicted.

• Va Girl

December 11, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Mad? Hardly. Just observant. Yes, I read your post. Agree. Trials can take a long time. As a parent of a student who got zero help from Ms. Harrell I realize the lack of care and professionalism she practiced. I’m the parent who took a 1/2 vacation day and drove back from Roanoke to meet with her only to get to the school and find out that the day SHE SCHEDULED to meet me was a day SHE TOOK as a vacation day. So I don’t think much of her. I had to do everything regarding help with scholarships, transfer of grades, etc. She acted as if I was nothing but a problem. I NEVER ONCE felt as if she wanted to help. Sure I was angry then, but now? No. Just see that Karma is going what it does to those who practice shady living. I’m guessing you are either her husband or Harrell herself. No one else on this board other than the person who uses multiple aliases and uses rather good grammar uphold and defends her. Interesting.

AS for TV, I watch the weather channel. That’s about it. Folks like yourself who assume too much show a weak mind. Sorry, it’s just my observation and if you want to believe it’s because I’m “mad”…I couldn’t give a rat’s behind. I don’t live in an imaginary world….but I see you do.

As for “let’s see if she’s guilty”….OJ Simpson was found innocent. So were many guilty people. We’ll just wait until we stand before the Good Lord and ALL OF US WILL FIND OUT IF WE ARE TRULY GUILTY OR INNOCENT.

• MR

December 12, 2013 at 9:28 am

Obviously, Billy J you do not keep up with local court cases. There were two other embezzlement cases in Pulaski this year that did not take this long going to trial. Obviously, you are not a parent whose child got screwed by Ms. Harrell’s incompetence in her job. SHE IS A THIEF and should have already been sentenced. Not only did she steal money from her Cheerleaders but she also stole students dreams of attending the colleges of his/her dreams. Parents like VA Girl had to do Ms. Harrell’s job for her to ensure that her child was able to follow his/her dream to attend the college that he/she wanted to. It is just that simple, we are entitled to our opinions at I for one will continue to share mine. Who in the he11 has time to watch TV? Some of us spend our time running our children to places that they need to be and such. Like I said look it up, at least 2 cases this year was in court less than a year after being charge.

4. disgusted

December 12, 2013 at 1:14 am

Every time this case is brought up Va Girl tells the same old story about taking time off from her job to meet with Ms. Harrell. Personally Im tired of seeing this over and over and no I am not Ms. Harrell or her husband. Get over it.

• Va Girl

December 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm

VERY INTERESTING you remembered and follow so closely. Other than Ms. Harrell, her husband, or HER PARENTS (that must be you!) I cannot think why anyone would care a story is repeated. Here’s an idea, if you don’t like my posts don’t read them…ever think of that?

Oh, and I AM over it. I just like to tell it over and over because in the 4 years both my kids attended PCHS we had nothing but positive experience with the teachers and staff (other than your daughter).

Now that I know my story irks you I’ll retell it in every article I see about that woman….be sure to watch for it!

• Bella

December 12, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Too funny! Harrell’s case does not seem to be going to trial anytime soon and it will be in the paper again. Repeat your story, Va Girl! Disgusted knows you are going to tell it, however, he/she just can’t look away.

5. disgusted

December 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Wrong again Va. Girl I dont have children and you dont irk me in any way at all I just get a kick out of idiots like you that tell the same story over and over.

• Va Girl

December 13, 2013 at 11:06 am

You get a kick out of it? That’s strange. Earlier you posted this (cut/paste with your spelling error included):

“Personally Im tired of seeing this over and over”

You contradict yourself.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the idiot club! Didn’t your mommy teach you it takes one to know one?

• disgusted

December 13, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Seems as though Ive hit a nerve. Imagine that. Oh and by the way I never had a mother as perfect as you but thanks for asking. Im through with your little petty game and remarks. Have a good day and once again get over it. Now I see why Ms. Harrell canceled her meeting with you.

• Lola

December 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm

You have not been paying attention. She did not cancel the meeting, she just didn’t show up. BTW, I think it was you who called Va Girl out for her remarks, so maybe it is you who is petty.

• Va Girl

December 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

Poor, poor delusional disgusted. You are far from having the ability to hit my nerve as you incorrectly assume. I just like bantering back and forth with confused people like yourself. It’s lots of fun!

Ms. Harrell didn’t cancel. Apparently after reading my story so many times in so many articles you missed the entire issue. Had she cancelled I’d not have taken that 1/2 vacation day and driven out to meet her. Therefore I’d not have a story regarding that subject to tell at all.

Have a lovely day disgusted, I plan to!

6. disgusted

December 15, 2013 at 1:38 am

Like I said before Va. Girl. Not everyone is as perfect as you claim to be. Thank You and you have a lovely perfect day as well.

7. lady bree

December 15, 2013 at 10:39 am

This is my first time reading these posts and am shocked that “adults” are having such a childish “feud” and think they should just drop it. Just my opinion.

• NewHere2

December 16, 2013 at 9:21 am

I rather enjoy the banter.

8. Patty

December 21, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I don’t know either one of you , but I see va girl must be very good parent and take her time for family don’t think of her self , it’s ashame we have a person like ms Harrell to steal sound like to me reading the opinion va girl the better person ,