By MELINDA WILLIAMS
A squirrel damaged a transformer in the vicinity of Memorial Square shopping center Monday morning, causing a partial power outage and sparking concern that something might be on fire in Food Lion.
Pulaski Fire Chief Bill Webb said grocery store employees called at 8:53 a.m. to report that a power outage was followed by the smell of something burning inside the store. The department responded to the shopping center and checked the occupied and vacant units, but found no signs of fire.
Webb said it was determined some electrical contacts burned out when a squirrel knocked out a portion of an American Electric Power transformer bank that serves the shopping center. Firefighters stayed on the scene until the transformer was repaired to make sure no problems developed when the power was restored.
Fans were also used to clear the burned smell from the grocery store.
Three trucks and 14 fire personnel responded to the scene. They left the scene at 10:40 p.m.
Webb said there was no fire damage, but there was one casualty – the squirrel.