Squirrel damages power transformer

A squirrel damaged a transformer in the vicinity of Memorial Square shopping center Monday morning, causing a partial power outage and sparking concern that something might be on fire in Food Lion.

Pulaski Fire Chief Bill Webb said grocery store employees called at 8:53 a.m. to report that a power outage was followed by the smell of something burning inside the store. The department responded to the shopping center and checked the occupied and vacant units, but found no signs of fire.

Webb said it was determined some electrical contacts burned out when a squirrel knocked out a portion of an American Electric Power transformer bank that serves the shopping center. Firefighters stayed on the scene until the transformer was repaired to make sure no problems developed when the power was restored.

Fans were also used to clear the burned smell from the grocery store.

Three trucks and 14 fire personnel responded to the scene. They left the scene at 10:40 p.m.

Webb said there was no fire damage, but there was one casualty – the squirrel.

Comments

comments

12 Responses to Squirrel damages power transformer

1. Va Girl

November 19, 2013 at 2:59 pm

“Webb said there was no fire damage, but there was one casualty – the squirrel.”

LOL, sorry but I got a giggle out of that last line.

2. carol

November 20, 2013 at 9:37 am

One casualty the squirrel? Whats funny bout that? thats sad animals have right.to explore same as people..

• Va Girl

November 20, 2013 at 11:26 am

It’s funny because of the way it was worded. Thankfully I’m not so closed minded to be unable to see humor in life. Yes, animals can and do explore. That’s not rocket science. They also wind up exploring into the wrong places….just like some people do. Besides, squirrel is quite tasty (especially fried with gravy). You should try it some time!

• Lola

November 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm

And, same as people, sometimes they get killed during the adventure. I agree with Va Girl, it made me giggle.

3. carol

November 20, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I pray for both of you excuse my bad language men r dogs soo no love loss good day. see ya on next comment va bat girl lol

• Va Girl

November 21, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Carol, I love bats too. They are totally cool. I’m hoping to put up some bat houses around my property. Thanks for the compliment!

So, you “pray” for both of us but consider men “dogs” and admit to bad language? I assume Lola is a girl, and clearly Va GIRL is a girl. Not sure why you throw the bad feelings you have for men in the mix. I think you should try to eat some protein. Your mind seems to need it…..

• Lola

November 22, 2013 at 10:49 am

“Eat some protein” LOL!!!! You made my whole day!!!!!!

4. carol

November 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Nooo I’m straight vegan soo that was offensive to me god bless

• Va Girl

November 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm

God has a capital G….and BTW, I don’t get offended. It’s a sin.

5. carol

November 21, 2013 at 10:59 am

I’m straight vegan soooo…

6. LT

November 21, 2013 at 2:42 pm

How silly this is!! I agree Va. girl.. Better the squirrel than the person from the power company trying to fix the problem or someone walking by the pole when sparks came out. How in the world did bats and men get in the mix?

7. carol

November 22, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Gotta go eat my protein now lol