By MELINDA WILLIAMS
Motions scheduled in the case of a Belspring man accused of murder have been put on hold until the day of the trial.
A motions hearing in the case of Roland Keith Wilson Jr., 42, was scheduled for Thursday afternoon, but was postponed due to the absence of a witness. The defense is seeking to suppress statements made by Wilson.
Since no other date was available for all parties, the motions will be heard on the morning of Thursday, Nov. 21, prior to selection of a jury. The case is slated to run that Thursday and Friday, Nov. 22.
The prosecution expects to call around a dozen witnesses in the case.
Wilson and 22-year-old Matthew Earnest Arnold of Dublin are charged with second-degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder and arson in the Sept. 25, 2012 death of Stephen Harrison Bane, 50, of Parrott.
Authorities allege the three men had been drinking together when Arnold held Bane down while Wilson cut Bane with a broken beer bottle. Commonwealth’s Attorney Mike Fleenor said during a bond hearing that an autopsy determined Bane died from a combination of strangulation and the cuts.
Bane’s body was found around 2:30 a.m. Sept. 27 in an abandoned house on Creek Road in the Parrott Community. He was last seen alive Sept. 24.
Fleenor said evidence will show that after Bane was dead, the defendants left Bane’s body in the abandoned house, then went to Bane’s residence in Parrott and burned it.
Fleenor said the fire was extinguished, but Bane’s body could not be found in the debris. The body was found a few days later in the nearby abandoned home.
Both men are being held without bond at New River Valley Regional Jail.
A court date has not yet been set for Arnold.