Ex-nurse indicted on 69 drug counts

A Pulaski County grand jury has indicted a former nurse on 69 counts of obtaining drugs by fraud between April and May of this year.

Pulaski County Commonwealth’s Attorney Mike Fleenor said Stephanie Nicole Cressell, 30, of Dublin is a former operating room nurse.

According to court records each count against Cressell accuses her of “unlawfully and feloniously” obtaining the drug Fentanyl “by fraud, deceit, misrepresentation, embezzlement or subterfuge, or by the forgery or alteration of a prescription or written order.” Each count is a Class 6 felony carrying a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

According to National Institute on Drug Abuse, Fentanyl is a “powerful synthetic opiate … similar, but more potent than morphine,” that is used to manage severe pain or treat chronic pain in people who are tolerant to opiates.

Court records show the names of three Pulaski County doctors were used to obtain the drugs.

Cressell has been released from custody on a $10,000 unsecured bond. Records show she has a full-time and part-time job. A trial date is to be set in December.

Comments

comments

42 Responses to Ex-nurse indicted on 69 drug counts

1. Anonymous

November 4, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Nobody knows what she was going through personally or professionally! She is innocent until proven guilty, we should be praying for her instead of bashing her. I am sure she is not the only nursel in that hospital that did this and I’m sure she won’t be the last! All we can do is pray for those who feel they have nowhere else to turn and be there for them to help them through there hard times. Treat others as you would want to be treated!

• Lola

November 5, 2013 at 8:23 am

So because others may or may not do the same thing, we should just forget about her crime? It does not matter what she was “going through”, if she is guilty she should go to jail.

2. Anonymous

November 4, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Humans make mistakes, they should not have to pay for them for the rest of their lives as long as they learn their lesson and never make the same mistake twice.

• Lola

November 5, 2013 at 9:36 am

A mistake is wearing shoes that don’t match. Stealing drugs is a crime.

3. anonymous

November 5, 2013 at 5:33 am

There could be many different scenarios here. She may had been prescribedthis drug by a physician and then became addicted. As someone who has seen first hand what addiction can do by working with people who have adfictions. The addiction overcomes you and you make irrational choices. However this young lady has workef years at the hospital and helped save many lives. May want to focus on that until you know the whole story or if she’s even guilty.

4. mom of 2 boys

November 5, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I agree with anonymous. Drugs can become addictive and she could have become addicted to opiates that were prescribed and then needed something to help her through her days. I can bet she didn’t work “high” as someone else put it. Even if she did, I know there are other people including doctors who have done this and addiction is considered a DISEASE. Whether it is opiates or alcohol or nicotine. These are 3 examples that are recognized by the psychiatry board as addictive drugs. So, if anyone cannot make it through their day without one of these, then they have the disease of addiction. I have known many people in my life that have been addicted to drugs and buy them off the street. Either one is illegal, but addiction is still a disease…just like diabetes or cancer….so be considerate of others. If you have ever gotten a headache from not having your morning cup of coffee or Mt. Dew, then you are addicted. It is not up to us to judge anyone. Just remember, how you judge others is how you will be judged.

• Lola

November 5, 2013 at 3:57 pm

“They did it too!” is a very childish defense. While Mtn Dew might well be addicitive, I would much rather pass the Mtn Dew addict on the road than the narcotic addict. Another thing addiction is: avoidable. As for disease, I’m very offended with addiction’s comparison to cancer. My mother died with breast cancer and it was not as a result of her lifestyle choices. She didn’t have a choice, addicts do. This lady had a choice, she made it and now should accept the responsibility.

5. community advocate

November 5, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I heard that there were a few other people who also lost their jobs in the last year or so in this area for very similar situations and they didn’t have charges pressed against them or have news paper articles written about them to try and ruin their lives or reputations. A wrong is a wrong, I agree. But people make mistakes and I bet this lady is a fine young lady who made a horrible mistake and has been trying to move on and get passed this, but people won’t let her. Just sayin….

6. community advocate

November 5, 2013 at 2:37 pm

sounds to me like PMS mom is a little jealous that she or anyone in her family never amounted to much in this community…that’s something I have learned from living in this county my whole life. I have definitely noticed that many people who aren’t “someone” in society have hard feelings for those who are and only follow those people in the news who are “somebody”. There are plenty of people within our community who “aren’t anybody” and get by with a lot of horrible things and never even get charged. Just remember…you will be judged the same way you judge others.

• PMS mom

November 6, 2013 at 7:32 am

No, community advocate I have everything in my life that I have every wanted. I grew up poor in this community due to both of my parents being in poor health, with that said I have worked very hard to have what I want. I just do not agree with stealing EVER! If it is not yours than keep your hands off of it! That simple. I lay my head down at night and rest peacefully because I have EARNED everything that I have. Thank you very much.

7. Caroline Caldwell

November 5, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I do not know this whole story, but if she was an operating room nurse, a lot of people went through that facility that put trust in the Drs. and nurses. And they were the ones laying there suffering so she could support her habit. The patients that suffered the pain after surgery so she could supply her habit should be the ones to set her sentence.

8. Kirk

November 6, 2013 at 9:45 am

I am amazed at how people are saying we don’t understand what she may have been going through and supporting her. If she was getting these drugs to sell or take it is all illegal on how she got them. If it was financial and she was getting them to sell, how would you feel if she had chosen a different route and stole something from you to sell for money? Would you be supporting her then? If she was getting them to take herself because of an addiction would you be supporting her if you or a family member had a serious mistake happen during surgery because of her being high? She was indicted on 69 counts, but we should forgive her because she was going through a hard time? Oh maybe we should forgive the drunk drivers that are going through a hard time and go out drinking and cause a wreck and kill someone. I mean they were going through a really hard time and all. WOW people way to support the criminals!

9. Anonymous

November 6, 2013 at 10:53 am

No where in the story states that she took medication from patients!
    The headline to this story clearly states “Ex-nurse indicted on 69 charges” no where does it say she has been found GUILTY of 69 charges. So before you throw your assumptions you may want to wait until this case goes to trial before making accusations. Clearly addiction is not cancer. Cancer is a disease and is not something you can control. However, if someone you loved in your family had surgery or a severe illness and they are prescribed medication and they then become addicted to that medication. Should that person be thrown under the bus? No I do not know if that is the case. However, we do not know if that isn’t the case. Should she be punished for her crime if she is found guilty…certainly but keep in mind this person is NOT FOUND GUILTY.

10. A FRIEND

November 6, 2013 at 6:21 pm

It has been my privilege to have known this wonderful young lady since the start of her career and I for one don’t think that what happened for a couple of months this spring should undo the years of care and dedication she has shown to her patients and community. Yes what she did was wrong but sometimes good people make bad choices. I can only hope that she hasn’t read all the mean comments entered here. If the shoe were on the other foot she would show compassion and pray for you. For those of you who have been kind and realize that you don’t know everything I thank you!
    For those of you who have been so mean and judgemental I can only remind you that the Bible says “judge not less yea be judged” and I not being as kind as my friend pray that God judges your mean spirited comments and the kicking of someone who is down very harsh indeed.

• Lola

November 7, 2013 at 8:16 am

I am so tired of hearing people say “don’t judge”,even more tired of it when they pair it with only a portion of a Bible verse that they clearly do not understand. This is a forum for opinions. I get to express mine, you get to express yours. See how that works? I am neither passing a jail sentence nor am I determining the eternity of her soul therefore she receives no judgement from me. I am however saying this woman did not make a mistake. She broke the law. And yes, it does color everything she has done and will do in the medical community. 69 counts of anything is not a mistake, it is a premeditated, planned crime. Crimes for which she should be held accountable regardless of how good a friend to you she has been.

• Anonymous

November 7, 2013 at 3:51 pm

No one is saying she should not be held accountable. Although, realize it isn’t just black and white, there is more to this story. She has not been found guilty of anything. You are very entitled to your opinion just as the rest of us. All I am saying is what until she has been found guilty.

• Anonymous

November 7, 2013 at 8:35 am

Could not have said it better. I have also been friends with her for a long time and worked with her at the hospital.
      I have tried to not get to personal with my comments as obviously some people just want to throw stones without knowing the full story.
      I am glad someone else is sticking up for her. Thank you!