Embezzlement case moved to December

The embezzlement trial for former cheerleading coach Angelia Paige Harrell is being postponed once again.

Harrell’s jury trial was supposed to be held Oct. 21, but online court records now show the case to be set for Friday, Dec. 6. This is the fourth continuance for the case.

Harrell is alleged to have diverted funds from the Pulaski County High School cheerleading program for her personal use between March 2010 and October 2011. She was head coach of the varsity squad and a guidance counselor at that time.

According to records on file in Pulaski County Circuit Court, defense attorney James C. Turk Jr. requested the first continuance and the other two appear to have been joint requests of the defense and special prosecutor Erin DeHart, Bland County’s commonwealth’s attorney. No reason for the continuances is stated in any of the petitions.

Harrell was indicted in September 2012.

Comments

comments

33 Responses to Embezzlement case moved to December

1. Disgusted In Pulaski

October 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm

This is a ridiculous continuance on a case that should have been settled a long time ago! The kids and parents that she wronged; and she did do everything she is accused of; have had to wait to get into college because of her negligence and the parents that paid money over and over for goods that were never delivered deserve justice. This should be brought to a swift verdict of GUILTY AS CHARGED ON ALL ACCOUNTS!

2. WHAT A SHOCK! NOT!!!!

October 4, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Let’s all just face it….she will not go to court or be punished for this. This is crazy beyond words. Am I the only person who is furious over this? Miss “I’m it, no one can touch me” has proven that to be true. She was a stuck up witch in school who thought that she was better than everyone else! Guess she is? From what I have read from parents of children who had her as a guidance counselor she only helped those “more” important people versus the every day Joe. This has went on entirely too long.

3. Lisa

October 4, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I think this is a shame. I know a lady in Pulaski that done the same thing but did not take that much. She has already spent 3 months in jail and because she hasn’t paid back the money they are wanting to put her back in. Who is this person that is any better, she hasn’t spent any time in jail and she hasn’t paid anything back either. WHY?

• Elena

October 10, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Harrell has what is considered in this area a better legal team than the woman who was accused of stealing way less money from the Treasurer’s office. You got the money to pay better lawyers you may have a better outcome. Not fair because this woman is accused of some heavy duty theft and should have her day in court.

4. formercheerleader

October 5, 2013 at 11:33 pm

This is starting to become comical. I guess she’s a better crook than she was a coach and counselor.

5. Royal

October 6, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Unlike “Disgusted In Pulaksi”, who appears to have inside knowledge of the facts of this case since he or she can emphatically claim “… she did do everything she is accused of…”, I will not speculate on Ms. Harrell’s innocence or guilt. I will, however, express my sincere hope the folks that are so quick to express their outrage over these accusations by personally attacking Ms. Harrel and her family each time an article is publshed about this case are as quick to post their anger and outrage over articles concerning far more disturbing events such as child abuse and abduction, innocent people being killed by drunk drivers, or the unbelievable arrogance of elected officials currently holding this county hostage. It is up to the prosecutor to try this case in the courts – it is NOT up to folks who “think they know”, or “read it in the paper” or have “friends of friends that heard it from someone that knew someone that Ms. Harrell wronged 20 years ago”. Before you make your next post, please consider this – you better pray that a member of your family is never in a similar position cause that “stuck up witch” KARMA will smack you in the face…HARD!!!!

• WHAT A SHOCK! NOT!!!!

October 7, 2013 at 7:57 am

I will not have to worry about anyone in my family doing something so stupid! I have raised my children better, and to remind them that they are no better than anyone else. You are right about one thing the “stuck up witch” KARMA HAS SHOWN IT’S UGLY HEAD!!!! Her perfect little image has been tarnished for life regardless if this goes away, as I expect it to, or not. It takes a very greedy, self centered person to take away from their students!!! Not only did she steal from the cheerleaders (by the way a whole lot longer than charged for) she would intentionally hurt students chances of getting into colleges by holding their transcripts. As I said I don’t have to worry about KARMA smacking me in the face! DO YOU?

• CC

October 7, 2013 at 8:00 am

You get to express your opinion, others get to express theirs, see how this works?

• Va Girl

October 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

Hello Ms. Harrell? I doubt any of my family will be in a “similar position” since we are not thieves who take money that doesn’t belong to us.

• Personal Experience

October 7, 2013 at 3:36 pm

To “Disgusted in Pulaski”, I couldn’t have said it better! My child was one of the seniors who went to her day after day in an attempt to try and get guidance in applying for college. She was always involved with something regarding the cheerleaders and never there to fulfill her duties as a guidance counselor. Of course, we all know now why she was so involved with the cheerleaders. With that being said, it is also very sad that the cheerleading teams were taken advantage of as well. I know what it is like to be a parent working two jobs and attempting to help with fundraisers. I also know how hard it is to come up with out of pocket money for fees that aren’t covered by fund raisers. Therefore, it is totally unacceptable that their funds were misappropriated in such a manner.

Fortunately, with my preserverance and the assistance of a hard working and dedicated teacher, my child got into college and is doing well. I feel very sorry for the number of children who didn’t have anyone else to help them and were depending on their guidance counselor for assistance and then missed out on an opportunity to attend college.

To “Royal”, I am guessing from your comment that you are a relative or a personal friend. As far as “KARMA”, more than likely all of us have skeletons somewhere in our closets when it comes to family and friends, however, that doesn’t mean that we think our family and friends should be above the law, nor would we uphold them in any wrong doing. And as far as the comment from “WHAT A SHOCK! NOT!!!”, Ms. Harrell did have a “holier-than-thou” attitude, so possibly “KARMA” has “smacked Ms. Harrell in the face HARD”!! Furthermore, isn’t honesty, compassion, and trust, what we would expect from someone who is in the position to guide our children toward their future????

6. concerned

October 6, 2013 at 6:04 pm

If you are a former cheerleader then you should know better than anyone else that there are other coaches and counselors that should be investigated as well. I have noticed that the cheerleading program has really gone downhill and very unprofessional and no I am not defending Ms. Harrell I just call it like I see it.

• formercheerleader

October 8, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Cheerleading became a job when she coached. It was very unjoyable. I think the coaches now are wonderful. They had some dirty shoes to step into and are doing and awesome job!

• formercheerleader

October 8, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Un enjoyable***

• formerathlete

October 13, 2013 at 8:20 pm

to the other formercheerleader: you were the one who signed up and chose to do the sport. sports like cheerleading take dedication and commitment to succeed. you could have quit at anytime if you hated it so bad.

• PC MOM

October 14, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Yes you are right, cheerleading does take dedication and commitment, but were does it say that the cheer leaders should have to give up on the sport because of the stuck up thief who ran it? She was an adult and she should of had the best interest on the students as her number one priority which clearly she did not. You know cheer leading looks well on a college application!

• formercheerleader

October 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Exactly PC mom. I was not a valuable athlete. I was a valuable pay check. And formerathlete, I didn’t quit because my parents paid $600 for me to cheer. What kind of respect would I have shown to my parents if I would have quit after they paid all of my dues?

7. whatever

October 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm

In Pulaski its all about who you know and who you are this is a sad sad town we live in

• Va Girl

October 10, 2013 at 4:32 pm

That’s any town whatever….truly…any town.

8. Arthur

October 7, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I am not going to comment on her guilt or innocence because I do not know and no one on this board knows either. As far as the time it has taken to try this case I do not believe it to be really any different than other cases. I asked an attorney who regularly practices in the local courts how long a felony case should take and he said from Grand Jury until trial usually takes about 1 year. Her Grand Jury met in September of 2012 so we are now at 13 months – about average. I’m afraid every time the Southwest Times does a story on this, it just gets people fired up for no real reason. Let’s wait and see what happens and not whine about things we know nothing about.

9. Seriously

October 7, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Remember, we are to judge not. Let the higher power do this job. No matter what anyone thinks, the courts will do what they want to do; not what should be done. No two people are treated equally, even for the same crime.

• Va Girl

October 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Oh, we are not judging. It’s a no-brainer God is the Judge and will do the ultimate judging. We’re simply discerning what has been released as evidence, and noticing there are many, other problems that point to a woman without much, if any, moral character.

I had numerous problems with her when she was my son’s councilor. She (not me…SHE) set a date for us to meet. I worked in Roanoke and had to take 1/2 day of vacation to the school on time for the afternoon appointment. So guess what? I get to the school to find out SHE TOOK THE AFTERNOON OFF!! Not considerate OR professional enough to call me to cancel. Lovely, huh? I won’t even get into the mess with all she said she would do and never did to help my son with college and his scholarship. It was maddening. Again, no professionalism whatsoever. She was also NASTY and downgrading when she spoke to him AND to me.

I for one hope she gets what she deserves if she’s guilty which it appears she is or she’d not have been charged at the level she was.

10. Royal

October 8, 2013 at 8:51 am

Arthur: You definitely expressed my feelings on this far better than I did! My intent was not to get people fired up but to say that none of us should stand in judgement and to let due process take its course. Thank you for being a voice of reason.

• Va Girl

October 10, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Wow…Ms. Harrell and her friends or family are quite active on this board trying….