Update on Alexis Murphy investigation: Cell phone found

Alexis Murphy

Alexis Murphy

RICHMOND—Nelson County teen Alexis Tiara Murphy’s disappearance on Aug. 3, 2013 spawned a multi-agency law enforcement effort to investigate the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.

Through community support and the media’s engagement, law enforcement have received several hundred calls with potential leads, which investigators diligently continue to work through. As a result of the state-wide and national media coverage, some of these calls have been from outside the Commonwealth of Virginia and are being prioritized and addressed as investigators deem appropriate.

During this investigation, the Murphy family and investigators requested the public’s assistance in locating Murphy’s phone. Law enforcement has since confirmed that several phones were recovered during the course of this investigation. However, until analysis of items sent to the FBI Laboratory was completed it was not clear if any of the phones were hers.

The commonwealth attorney’s office of Nelson County and the investigative partners in the Murphy investigation are announcing that one of the phones located has since been positively identified as Murphy’s.

Since this is an ongoing, sensitive investigation, where evidentiary items and search information is sealed, no further discussion will be entertained. This sole release of information is only being made to advise the public that authorities no longer need assistance looking for that one item.

In order to protect the integrity of the investigation and ensure that Randy Allen Taylor gets a fair trial in Nelson County, police say no further information will be released about the investigation.

The case continues to be investigated by the Nelson County Sheriff’s Office, the Virginia State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Nelson County Commonwealth Attorney Anthony Martin is prosecuting the case.

Comments

comments

21 Responses to Update on Alexis Murphy investigation: Cell phone found

1. sabrina

September 13, 2013 at 8:41 pm

i’ve been keeping up with this case day to day and i’m wondering if authorities found any new evidence since they have alexis murphy’s cell phone and the other phones as well i know they don’t want too much info leaked out but i feel that they really need to start digging in these cases i mean it could be possible that some of these girls might be still alive even though they have been missing for some period of time but all you can do is pray!

• Va Girl

September 18, 2013 at 3:05 pm

You actually believe they aren’t “digging” into this case? You’re joking, right? I’ll bet you anything they’re looking at every detail 10x over under the microscope. Especially that cell phone at this point.

2. Catherine

September 13, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I think the investigators are trying to do everything they can. I don’t believe that they are waiting for something bad to happen, and why are people attacking individuals who are actively looking for her everywhere they can, and the people attacking are the ones just “following” this case- not actively searching for her. It’s not like we live in a small area, it is a big world out there, it’s not like they are just standing around doing nothing! I hope they do find her, and I hope she is ok, I also hope they find justice for whomever did wrong her. I applaud the investigators and police dept for starting right away and continuing to piece the puzzle together. I will definetly keep praying for her and her family.

3. Shay Poe

September 14, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I heard they found her car cell phone and a price of her hair in a mans home

4. Kerri Amber

September 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm

She is one of my friends bestfriends, I feel like they’re not doing all they can. Why don’t they go door to door, search places the man had been, everywhere. They should do everything and anything to find Alexis. It makes my eyes water. I really hope she’s okay and not in any harm. We love you Alexis. We’re going to find you. We’re not losing any hope. Nobody deserves this.

• Va Girl

September 18, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Kerri, trust me they are doing all they can. Just much of the investigation has to be kept secret. Her parents have voiced confidence in what law enforcement is doing, so please don’t lose faith they will find out what happened. I am sure they have their man and yes….they are turning over every stone to figure out where he has been.

Problem is this creep has done something similar in the past and seems to know how to cover his tracks. But he’s not perfect, so that is on the side of the family and investigators.

5. Gentlementality

September 16, 2013 at 11:11 am

This situation is very frustrating. They have the alleged perpertrator/creep in custody and he hasn’t given investigators a single bit of information on her whereabouts.

6. Tracy B

September 16, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I BELIEVE THIS YOUNG LADY IS SOMEWHERE STILL ALIVE; I FEEL SHE NEED TO BE FOUND SHE COULD WITH OTHERS THAT HAVE BEEN MISSING AND NEVER FOUND. PLEASE DO MORE IN FINDING HER. I HOPE SHE COME HOME SOON.

7. Scott

September 16, 2013 at 5:57 pm

My prayers are with you Alexis, and with your family. Hope this lovely child comes home soon!

8. Emily H.

September 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I believe since the police wanted to inform everyone of the actions they were taking previously we as Americans have the right to know what exactly is going on in this case. The government hides enough from us I don’t think the people from our home town should either. FYI I’m from Appomattox Virginia

• Va Girl

September 18, 2013 at 3:14 pm

So, as “an America” you have rights to know just because police ask for information? (Wow, just when I think I’ve heard it all.)

Ever stop to think that the FAMILY doesn’t want anyone knowing something that could harm the investigation? (doubt it)

Remember, next time maybe it will be YOUR dirty laundry of misfortune the public is drooling to hear. Bet you’d have a different tune then….