Unidentified animal seen on trail cam

My beautiful pictureSubmitted by Roger Williams

Special to the SWT

Can you help identify this animal from the picture shown here?

It is unclear if this is an unverified picture of a “Bigfoot.” It was recently discovered on a “trail cam” placed in the nearby mountains.

It was surprising, to say the least, when I discovered the image on the camera’s disc. What in the world can this be?

Carefully scrutinizing the image, it appears that the right arm shows fingers as the animal grasps the base of the tree stump. It also has elongated feet similar to a man’s appendages. Its fur is matted on the back but thin on the arms and legs. Unfortunately, the head and face are not shown by the image taken.

I think it must be a bear. It has to be a gear, does it not? I hunt this area annually and have seen no sign of a Bigfoot. I have seen bear scat and tracks before, so I can identify them.

No unidentified tracks, droppings, or any other indications of a large upright predator in the woods have ever been found, that I know of.

There were no discernable tracks on the leaf-covered ground near the camera where it was picked up. The mystery remains!

Your input would be appreciated.

Comments

comments

148 Responses to Unidentified animal seen on trail cam

1. Anonymous

September 5, 2013 at 9:38 am

What part of southwest VA was this creature seen at?

2. Me

September 5, 2013 at 10:05 am

Were there any other pictures of it coming or going? I am not aware of how trail cams really work. Are they motion detected or scheduled to go off at certain times in the day?

3. Will

September 5, 2013 at 10:41 am

Pictures like this have appeared around the country at different times. Always end up being bears with mange or similar conditions that result in hair loss. You can tell by enlarging the photo that the front “hand” on the bald right front leg is actually a standard bear front paw. The rear paws are also ursine, not primate, in nature (no heel structure evident, which primitive hominids and even modern great apes possess). Sorry, xenozoology buffs, just an ugly skinny bear. :)

• James Chmelik

September 6, 2013 at 9:23 am

At least, it’s one pic thats not out of focus like
      most of those UFO sitings! It does look like
      something bending over, but not like a bear, like
      something that does realize it can bend at the
      knee’s.

4. G

September 5, 2013 at 10:53 am

Has to be a gear? Wow, editing is key!!! I would say it’s probably a chimpanzee

5. key

September 5, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Gorilla or a cave man!!! I would say!! But far from a bear!

6. GF

September 5, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I think it’s a Gruffalo!

• James Chmelik

September 6, 2013 at 9:21 am

A what?!?? *L*

7. Amy W

September 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Is this the image that was shown on tv?

8. Mark

September 5, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Looks like a small-ish ape. It’s not a bear -the hips look to allow an upright gait, when needed. Could be a orangutan, but without seeing the face, we can’t really tell.

9. Barrie

September 5, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Chupacabra

10. bill

September 5, 2013 at 8:03 pm

if your using a game cam, motion sets off the shutter there should be more than one pic.???has the area trees within 200 yards all around been checked? has their been signs of downed trees being foraged on. i am familiar with wythe county an i would be interested in tracking this “animal” an finding out some answers.if you would e-mail me the place an directions i can try to find out some answers before the weekend is over than again i might find nothing at all