Unidentified animal seen on trail cam

My beautiful pictureSubmitted by Roger Williams

Special to the SWT

Can you help identify this animal from the picture shown here?

It is unclear if this is an unverified picture of a “Bigfoot.” It was recently discovered on a “trail cam” placed in the nearby mountains.

It was surprising, to say the least, when I discovered the image on the camera’s disc. What in the world can this be?

Carefully scrutinizing the image, it appears that the right arm shows fingers as the animal grasps the base of the tree stump. It also has elongated feet similar to a man’s appendages. Its fur is matted on the back but thin on the arms and legs. Unfortunately, the head and face are not shown by the image taken.

I think it must be a bear. It has to be a gear, does it not? I hunt this area annually and have seen no sign of a Bigfoot. I have seen bear scat and tracks before, so I can identify them.

No unidentified tracks, droppings, or any other indications of a large upright predator in the woods have ever been found, that I know of.

There were no discernable tracks on the leaf-covered ground near the camera where it was picked up. The mystery remains!

Your input would be appreciated.

148 Responses to Unidentified animal seen on trail cam

1. Leslie Crowder

September 4, 2013 at 8:45 pm

It looks to me like a primate. (I wouldn’t go as far as bigfoot) Could be lost or escaped from a home or zoo. Not a bear..too skinny

2. Mrh

September 4, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Lol at the ex husband comment, Janet.
    Can’t be black bear. Front “arms” bend at elbow with appearance of a radius bone longer than what a black bear, which really doesn’t have much of a radius bone. Back legs too long for bb.

3. brittany buckley

September 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Some Christians believe that bigfoot is actually Cain from the bible because he was punished for killing his brother by having his body covered in hair and his punishment was that he could never die until Christ comes back.. some say this is who it is.. I dunno myself.. its a matter of opinion but this clearly is not a bear.. nor any animal we have ever seen

4. j. small

September 4, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Not a bear, body shape is completely different, in my option it looks like an ape or large chimp of sorts, not sure muzzle or face would have been a big help, but interesting none the less. Hope ya find out what this is.

5. Beth Howard

September 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Ok I know that a Sloth is gray (I think) but this thing looks like it has kinda long hair. Maybe a Sloth ape. Just my opinion. But people always have exotic animals and let them loose never know.

6. Anonymous

September 4, 2013 at 9:37 pm

This appears to be a black bear that has mange. If you research mange and bears on the internet, you will find that this is common and found in other areas. When any animal looses its long hair, the appearance of what its muscles really looks like can be surprising though.

7. Jeff Moyer

September 4, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Body confirmation doesn’t look like a bear, pelt is not right, lets too spindly. Not sure what it is but I’ve seen a few bear and this doesn’t look like one to me.

8. Jeff Moyer

September 4, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Meant to say “legs are too spindly”. Sorry.

9. Stephen K. Wood

September 4, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Looks hominid. This picture really says Chimpanzee to me as opposed to Gorilla. But I would really want an idea of scale which is hard to make out without a point of reference like an everyday object in the picture for comparison. My knee jerk reaction is Chimp. If it is a Chimp, it easily could be an escaped pet.

10. Daniel

September 4, 2013 at 11:27 pm

it might be a chimpanzee, that was my first thought. there is no such thing as bag foot or it would have been proven, but its either an escaped chimp or a bear