Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Unidentified animal seen on trail cam

My beautiful pictureSubmitted by Roger Williams

Special to the SWT

 

Can you help identify this animal from the picture shown here?

It is unclear if this is an unverified picture of a “Bigfoot.” It was recently discovered on a “trail cam” placed in the nearby mountains.

It was surprising, to say the least, when I discovered the image on the camera’s disc. What in the world can this be?

Carefully scrutinizing the image, it appears that the right arm shows fingers as the animal grasps the base of the tree stump. It also has elongated feet similar to a man’s appendages. Its fur is matted on the back but thin on the arms and legs. Unfortunately, the head and face are not shown by the image taken.

I think it must be a bear. It has to be a gear, does it not? I hunt this area annually and have seen no sign of a Bigfoot. I have seen bear scat and tracks before, so I can identify them.

No unidentified tracks, droppings, or any other indications of a large upright predator in the woods have ever been found, that I know of.

There were no discernable tracks on the leaf-covered ground near the camera where it was picked up. The mystery remains!

Your input would be appreciated.

Comments

comments

148 Responses to Unidentified animal seen on trail cam

  1. Jessica Marshall

    August 26, 2013 at 1:02 pm

    Looks like an ape/gorilla..maybe someone had one as a pet and it became to much to take care of and they jus let it out..

  2. Sandra Volk

    August 26, 2013 at 1:05 pm

    It really looks like a monkey to me…or maybe a baby bigfoot…

  3. Chasity Marshall

    August 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm

    what nearby mountains was this located at? I live below draper mountain do I need to be concerned lol.

  4. Va Girl

    August 26, 2013 at 1:29 pm

    Bear with mange….

  5. Gail Beaver

    August 26, 2013 at 1:46 pm

    Its not a bear the front legs aren’t like a bears. It looks like its from the ape family.

  6. Matt Price

    August 26, 2013 at 1:55 pm

    It looks like a young Bear to me and not in the best of shape. It looks to me that the Bear has its head turned to the left completely out of sight and the tuft of hair at the top of the shoulders is giving the elusion of the back of a head when its not really there. this is not the 1st photo I have seen of young Bear that has been called into question. when you examine a bear’s body structure closely (without its skin) they pose a scary resemblance to the human form which would explain the appearance of the feet and hands sense this bear is under weight for its size. but that’s just my two cents worth.

  7. Woodyard

    August 26, 2013 at 2:13 pm

    My hubby says it looks like a bear but I strongly disagree. The front legs do not look like bear legs. I do not believe in Bigfoot or Sasquatch but the way it stands it does remind me of a monkey or gorilla. I’m going to forward this picture to a zoologist and see what they think.

  8. mary ritter

    August 26, 2013 at 2:54 pm

    I just ran the picture through a program which indicates evidence of it being photoshopped. Maybe to knock the ears off the bear?

    • Editor

      August 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm

      Editor’s note: The photo was lightened in Photoshop as part of our normal procedure to make it easier to view in print form, as newspapers print darker than standard photos. The image itself was not altered in any way at all. The picture was lightened as a whole.

  9. mary ritter

    August 26, 2013 at 3:29 pm

    Thanks for clarifying that. The bigfoot community is beginning to take a more aggressive stance with hoaxers. I would estimate that about 99% of the pictures/videos we see are hoaxed, and the other 1% are questionable.

  10. RANDY AKERS

    August 26, 2013 at 4:01 pm

    seen a few bear hunting in my lifetime this does not even look anything like a bear front legs to long and lanky bears are short and stocky believe we may have some ones old pet monkey or chimpanzee running around in wythe couty

You must be logged in to post a comment Login