A grease fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage to a Dublin home Monday and killed the owner’s cat.
Dublin Fire Department Chief Ronnie McClure said his department was dispatched to James R. Phillips’ home at 5069 Charles Drive (behind Waffle House) at 12:31 p.m. The first units arriving on the scene found heavy smoke pouring out the front door and a resident standing outside.
McClure said firefighters were able to rescue a dog from the basement of the home, but a cat that was in the living room died.
It took firefighters about 15 minutes to get the fire under control. Most of the house sustained smoke and water damage, but the kitchen, particularly the cabinets, received fire damage.
McClure estimated the value of the home at $120,000 and its contents at $60,000. Each sustained about $30,000 in damage, he said.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 2:10 p.m.
Dublin responded with three pieces of equipment and 13 personnel, while Newbern Fire Department responded with two pieces of equipment and three personnel.