‘Methadone clinic’ almost licensed

Licensing is almost completed for a “methadone clinic” that will be locating in Pulaski Mall.

Les Saltzberg, director of licensing for Virginia Department of Health and Developmental Services, said Friday, “It looks fairly likely they’ll be licensed within a few weeks.”

That clears the way for Pulaski Medical LLC to proceed with setting up the clinic in the mall unit formerly occupied by Pulaski Drugs and New River Valley Community Services. The company has already been advertising for employees.

Gary Gavornik of Easton, Pa. filed with VDHDS in late 2011 for a license to operate the “opioid treatment center.” The clinic will dispense medications, including methadone, to persons with addictions to opiate drugs and pain medications. The goal is to wean the person off the drugs.

The town of Pulaski and Pulaski County filed objections to the clinic with VDHDS. However, since the clinic was consistent with town zoning at the time the application was filed, officials were doubtful they would be able to stop it.

The property’s B-2 zoning allowed medical clinics as a “use by right” in December 2011. Since that time, council has amended the ordinance to require a “special exception,” thus giving the town more control over such facilities in the future.

Pulaski Mall is owned by RAS Properties, which is owned by Robert Strenz, a former member of Pulaski’s Redevelopment and Housing Authority.

43 Responses to ‘Methadone clinic’ almost licensed

1. Concerned Citizen

July 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I worked at a methadone Clinic in Nashville Tennessee. It does NOT work, they just simply get addicted tot he methadone, and the crime and problems increase. What a nightmare.

2. FREDDIE S SONNER

July 16, 2013 at 1:39 pm

OK JUST BECAUSE THERE IS A BIG CRIME RATE IN NASHVILLE”look and how big it is . and that has nothing to do with whats going to happen here in our town! we lived in GALAX 5 year’s ! you could walk up and down the streets and go in stores . and feel safe.you cant here in PULASKI.you cant even walk in most stores like wilco or subway without people saying hey man got a little change 2 get a beer. or food or cigs.foodlion and KFC.. is the same. and watch real carefuly. you will see deal’s all over this town. its clear. and the clinic Isint open.yet. but you dinit hardly ever see all this in galax no where close 2 this bad and they have a methadone clinic. so what’s up” Thats the nightmare! not to mention what goes on in or around hardee’s that’s all im saying . just look a little harder! thank’s concerned citizen July 16th at 1;25 pm tuesday”

3. Concerned Citzen #2

July 17, 2013 at 4:16 am

Pulaski already has enough problems with out bringing more to the area. Not to mention my family will have to drive by this legal drug distribution clinic on a daily basis. Where are the studies that prove this alleged treatment works? Better listen to concerned citizen #1. I do not think we need this in our town.

4. Citizen #3

July 23, 2013 at 9:26 am

I agree with Citizen #1. The problem is…the average dose is $80 a week I believe. (not sure) There are no jobs in Pulaski. Where do you think they will get the money to pay for the methadone??? They will steal from the working and pawn or sell the stuff for the cash. At least Galax has a few more jobs available. Pulaski needs an enima.

5. Concerned Citizen #1

July 23, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I will say, yes, the average cost for methadone is $80-190 a week. The rates go up that is the minimum rate per the dose. They sucker the addicts in, get them more addicted, and it “stops working” and they still want, so they increase the dose. I have seen people on as much as 200 mg a day, costing them almost $500 a week, and they go and rob, and steal, to get that. It is not a solution, it is replacing addiction with addiction. They also need to seek counseling 3-4 days a week in order for the “system” to work, and work on the issues that causes the addictions. Where is this plan, and that is extremely costly as well. This is NOT a solution to crime rate, but another thing to cause it. I was robbed 4 times because I checked them in and they paid me for the treatment. There is no logic to bringing this in, there is less that 1% success rate, and in the end, it causes worse issues. Resolve the issues with the way the law is designed. REHAB–off cold turkey and intense daily counseling to handle the underlying problems that LEAD to the issues. We have that–at Saint Albans. It isn’t being utilized.

Mark my word–Bring this in, find yourself facing ARMED robberies, and Knives in your face, because the methadone makes them THAT insane, and unable to mentally recognize they shouldn’t. Keep in mind, a shot of Methandone is what the Japanese were given before they went on the Suicide “kamakazi” runs. It dulled their responses, and thinking to prevent them from not doing what the military wanted them to do. This is a fact folks.

• Also concerned

July 24, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I agree with Concerned Citizen #1, with the exception of St. Albans. I have a very close friend who is having difficulty call them a few days ago to be told that none of their doctors are seeing new patients, and got really rude with her. Something she does not need right now.

6. P.I>

July 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm

So, trading an illegal drug, for a legal drug is the answer? Come on. Go talk to some of the people that have been going to these clinics for YEARS.
    They get addicted to methadone, then they have to go daily (hard to find a job that lets you come in late so that you can go to the clinic), then maybe they let you go weekly (again, good luck with the job thats lets you off once a week to go), then MAYBE monthly..
    This is the most viscious cycle besides being addicted to the illegal drug. One is really as bad as the other and both bring crime and criminals to your neighborhood. Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to sell you something.

7. I Agree

July 24, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Yes, I agree with Citizen # 1.
    I do not know how many saw WDBJ 7 when they tried to interview the clinic in West Va. (can’t rem the town, but think Beckley) where the workers hid from the interviewer. Even the workers knew how bad it is. Our town is bad enough without making it worse. So, if the town is letting this come in, then when something happens to one of us, we should be able to sue the town.
    Everyone needs to pray fervently that God will change the situation. Well, also, the police will have plenty to do when it comes. Might better put on a heavier force. Lawyers will have plenty of work.
    I really think the people should vote on this and the town stand behind them. After all, it is the people that this will give the problems.

8. ANON1

July 26, 2013 at 11:55 am

This is the biggest mistake Pulaski County has made! That is exactly what we need a dope clinic for all the druggies in this town to go and get their high for the day. My daughter and I live close to where this “clinic” will be opening, needless to say I will now have a weapon for self defense.

9. CONCERNED RESISIDENT

July 26, 2013 at 6:13 pm

HOW MANY SMALL KIDS WILL DIE THIS TIME BECAUSE FAMILY ARE TO HIGH ON THIS TO WATCH OVER THEM

10. My Two Cents

July 28, 2013 at 9:27 am

I see many comments talking about the weekly cost of going to this Methadone Clinic and talk about ONLY methadone. Things such as suboxone and subutex are also offered at methadone clinics. I agree 100% with each comment that methadone is just a substitute addiction however suboxone is a little different. It is actually has an opiate blocker in it so if a patient still trying to take opiates this drug blocks it. And in response to another comment, I don’t know if it is realized that the people that would be going to this more than likely already have VERY EXPENSIVE habits – the $80 – $500 is probably less than these people are already spending on their habit. I can’t say that I am promoting the clinic coming into this town, also can’t say I’m totally against it. I have had people close to me with these issues and I want people to be aware of both sides.