Brenda Jane Gilman Wilson

Brenda J. Gilman Wilson, 69, loving mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, went to be with our Lord on May 17, 2013.

Brenda was born July 31, 1943 to James Edgar and Oaka Sturdivant Gilman in Wytheville.  She is preceded in death by her parents; her brother, Charles E. Gilman; her aunt, Lillian G. Walters, and niece, Kathy G. Grinnell.

She is survived by two children, Todd Wilson of Pulaski, and Susan Newberry; five grandchildren, Heather Davis Stevens, Alyssa Newberry, Nicholas Newberry, Josh Wilson and Justin Wilson, and four great-grandchildren, Cole Stevens, Lily Stevens, Cora Stevens and Shyanne Wilson.

Memorial services will be held at Max Creek Baptist Church, 3000 Old Route 100, Draper, Saturday, May 25, at 11 a.m.  Brenda will be laid to rest beside her mother at West End Cemetery in Wytheville at a later date.

In lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate donations to help offset funeral expenses.  Donations can be made payable to Todd Wilson, P.O. Box 2515, Pulaski, VA  24301.

McCoy Funeral Home, Blacksburg, is handling arrangements for the family.

9 Responses to Brenda Jane Gilman Wilson

1. Nancy Jo Newman

May 23, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Brenda and I met when we were 3 years old and remained friends for life. In fact, we talked Thursday afternoon and had planned to continue our conversation on Friday. I am saddened by her death and feel that the shared memories of my childhood and life have gone from me. Brenda truly loved her family and gave her all for each of them. Her “mountain woman” determination saw her through many rough parts of her life. She was a very strong and capable person. I offer my sincere sympathy to her family. I deeply mourn the loss of my oldest friend and will cherish her memories for the remainder of my life.
    Nancy Jo Newman

• Susan Wilson Newberry

May 24, 2013 at 12:15 pm

NancyJo,

Thank you so much for your kind words!!! Mom loved you so much and talked to me about the “good ol days” with you often. It still hasn’t “sunk” in yet! I feel I can pick up the phone and call Mom all the time. My son, Nicholas, graduated 8th grade last night and I almost dialed her number when I got home to tell her all about it! Then suddenly realized I couldn’t. :(

Susasn

2. Melissa Thornsberry (Shelton)

May 24, 2013 at 2:37 am

Susan and Todd Im so sorry for your loss. Brenda was such a lovely person. If you guys need anything just give us a call. You know mom thought so much of her, as did we all.

• Susan Wilson Newberry

May 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Thank you so much Melissa!

3. Iris K Lowman

May 25, 2013 at 8:44 am

Todd and Susan: I was very saddened to learn of the death of your mother, I had not talked to her for quite some time, but had been thinking about calling her. We were neighbors for years when you kids were small on Springer Avenue and kept in touch over the years, May God wrap his loving arms around your whole family and give you the peace that only he can give,

• Susan Wilson Newberry

May 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Thank you so much Iris!

Susan

4. jim east

May 26, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I imagine everybody thinks their graduation class was special, but the Class of 1961 IS special and in no small part because of our dear Brenda … prayers and condolences to Brenda’s family from the Class of 1961 …

• Susan Wilson Newberry

May 30, 2013 at 4:47 am

Thanks Jim.

My Mom, loves her graduating class!!! She would sit and tell me stories of all you guys that graduated together and the “crazy”, well what you guys called “crazy” did back them.. The football team, the cheerleaders….. The good ol days!!!!
      I don’t know if I was ever able to meet you or not, I’ve lived away for so long now, in IL….I know though, me and my brother, Todd, thank you for your kind words!
      Take care and God Bless!!

Susan

5. Jo Ann Lewis Meeks

June 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm

My heart was so saddened when I learned of Brenda’s death. We were close friends in high school but had lost touch with each other over the years, which I regret. My fondest memory, other than our day-to-day conversations about the boys who were breaking our hearts, was our ’61 senior class trip to New York, when Brenda, Betty Jo Parks Frazier, “Pete” (Mary) Burton Shelor, and I roomed together. Did we ever have a good time! After hearing about her death, I pulled my old yearbooks out and read everything she had written in them. I laughed and I cried as she reminded me of so many things I had forgotten. I’m sorry that I never got to meet any of you, her family. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jo Ann Lewis Meeks