Victims of I-77 Easter Sunday crash identified

On Monday, April 1, 2013, Virginia State Police  released an update on the Easter Sunday accident on foggy Fancy Gap Mountain, southbound on I-77 in Carroll County. State Police have identified more than 15 accidents involving up to 95 vehicles and resulting in three fatalities. State Police issued the following statement Monday evening:

CARROLL COUNTY, Va. – Two men and one woman were killed Sunday afternoon (March 31, 2013) in a series of multi-vehicle crashes that occurred within a one mile stretch in Carroll County on Interstate 77. At 1:17 p.m., Virginia State Police were called to the scene of the first crash at the 6 mile marker in the southbound lanes of I-77. The first crash sparked a chain reaction of 17 total traffic crashes that involved 95 vehicles. A total of three individuals were killed in the crashes and approximately 25 other individuals were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment of injuries ranging from serious to minor.

William M. Sosebee, 33, of Allen, Ky., was a passenger in a vehicle that collided with a tractor-trailer in the southbound lanes of I-77. Sosebee died at the scene. Kathern Worley, 71, of Iron Station, N.C., was a passenger in a different vehicle that collided with the same tractor-trailer. Worley also died at the scene.

Andrew Katbi, 24, of Delphos, Ohio, was driving a passenger vehicle that rear-ended a tractor-trailer in the southbound lanes of I-77. Katbi also died at the scene.

The cause of the initial crash remains under investigation at this time. No charges have been placed. Heavy fog in the Fancy Gap Mountain area was a factor in the series of crashes, as vehicles were traveling too fast for conditions.

Southbound lanes of I-77 were re-opened to through traffic by 11:25 p.m. Sunday.

Comments

comments

7 Responses to Victims of I-77 Easter Sunday crash identified

1. Jennifer S

April 1, 2013 at 8:55 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families! I was behind the crash and luckily wasn’t involved. I turned around not knowing how bad it was and came through this morning. The erie feeling and sadness did not escape me.

Bless the many EMS, rescue, State Troopers, Volunteers who helped those hurt and stranded. Sad that this happened on Easter, but makes you not take anything for granted.

2. Linda Alexander

April 2, 2013 at 12:56 pm

We were directly behind the two tractor trailers who collided and saw it unfold before our eyes! We were truly blessed as GOD allowed us to seek safety by driving up the runway ramp, then on foot with our granddaughters in arms. We prayed the entire time and continue to pray for everyone who was there and for the families (like ours) who waited for confirmation of our safety. The first responders, you will never know how much you are appreciated for all you do. We want to especially thank the Fireman who comforted our girls and wrapped them in, “a real fireman’s blanket.” Please know that GOD is real and was on that mountain.. For all of us who survived, he showered us with his Mercy and Grace.

• G. S.

April 5, 2013 at 12:05 pm

You know my heart is with you, my friend. Thank God you and your family are okay, but I am so sorry about the ones who lost their lives and the family/friends left behind.

Prayerfully submitted,
      G.

3. Mark S.

April 2, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I came through just ahead of the crash. The traffic was only going near 25 mph at that time. I even took pictures of the fog and limited sight ahead. While reading this article, I noticed the time was 1:17. I just looked at my camera and the time of the pictures is 1:17. I now feel really lucky.

4. Terry K

April 2, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Our thoughts and prayers to all involved in the crash.

We travel that stretch several times a year and know how conditions can change and become dangerous quickly esp. due to fog.

We are so sorry to learn lives were lost and serious injuries occurred.

Many THANKS to responders for helping all those in need.

5. Leslie Bennett

April 3, 2013 at 10:38 am

I was soppost to leave South Carolina on Sunday Morning to go home to West Virginia but decided to leave on Saturday morning.I could have been there. I seen the Heavy Fog off to the West I couldn’t even think of driving thought it.So Sad lives were lost and so many hurt.Thoughts and prayers go out to all. And to all that responded to the needs of others god bless you.

6. JOSH NICKLAS

April 3, 2013 at 12:31 pm

OUR FAMILY WAS DRIVING NORTH BOUND ABOUT A HALF HOUR AFTER IT HAPPENED. WE SAW TOW TRUCKS GOING NORTH IN THE SOUTHBOUND LANE AND KNEW THAT SOMETHING WAS WRONG. THEN CAME UP ON THE TRAGIC ACCIDENT! WE WERE PRAYING AND STILL ARE FOR ALL THE FAMILIES INVOLVED. THE LORD WAS ON THAT MOUNTAIN THOUGH, HE IS ALWAYS WITH US. HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING A SAFE RECOVERY. YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS ALL THE TIME!!
    JOSH NICKLAS