Ernest “Ernie” Clive Fortner Jr.

Ernest Clive Fortner Jr., “Ernie,” 77, of Pulaski County, peacefully ascended into heaven on April 17, 2013, at his home, with his family by his side.

Ernie was born on January 7, 1936, the son of Ernest Clive Fortner and Sarah Johnson Fornter and was raised in West Virginia. He graduated from Concord University in 1960. After graduating college, he spent his early years with his wife Faye working as a teacher in Florida. He then worked for RCA at the Cape. He worked as a computer analyst and mathematician for the Federal Government at DDPC/Ardasia. Ernie loyally served his country and veteran of the Korean War. Not only did he take pride in his work, but he truly cherished the close friends he made along the way.

Ernie is predeceased by his son Ernest Clive Fortner III.

He leaves his loving memories to be cherished by his beautiful, devoted wife of 55 years, Deloris Nunn Fortner (Faye), his daughter Charissa Fortner Massie (Chari), his sister and brother-in-law Kathleen and Dale Bailey. He is also survived by his three precious grandchildren, Brown, Emma and Olivia Massie, who loved him more than words can describe.

Anyone who knows Papa and or Ernie knows he was an angel on earth. He had a God-given gift of light that could brighten up any situation. He enjoyed spending his time at his lake house nearby at Claytor Lake. He absolutely loved the sun and took any opportunity to escape to his beach house in Daytona Beach, Florida. He appealed to the young and old alike and was truly the life of the party. His many loving memories will remain with his family, extended family and friends forever, and he will truly be missed.

Ernie’s final wishes have been carried out to the last detail. Therefore, no funeral service will be held. We will have a memorial service at Claytor Lake at a date yet to be announced.

Faye and her family wish to extend our deepest gratitude for all the prayers and support from friends and extended family. They also would like to thank the Carilion Hospice staff for all their care and support in his final days.

Comments

comments

14 Responses to Ernest “Ernie” Clive Fortner Jr.

1. Jane Hurd

April 22, 2013 at 11:46 am

Faye and Family- Faye you had a wonderful husband – I enjoyed working so very much with Ernie and knowing his great family. He was a wonderful guy and we loved him very much. Take care and love to you. Jane Hurd

• Betty French Hughes

April 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Earnie and I went to school together he was a good friend mine . My deepest symphony to his family, he was a great man I am sure will be sadly missed.

Sincerely,

Betty French Hughes

2. Phyllis Posey

April 23, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Faye,
    Speaking for all our Princeton High School Class of 1953, we are saddened indeed to learn of our classmate, Ernie’s passing. You two attended all our class reunions and he was such a joy to know. Please accept our deepest sympathy and we wish you God’s Blessing.
    Phyllis (Conner) Posey & PHS Class of 1953

3. Jim Johnson

April 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Ernie was a great guy! We were classmates in High School. I spoke with him several times at our last reunion at Pipestem State Park. Faye, my prayers are with you and the rest of your family at this time. Rest in the knowledge that Ernie is now in a much better place.

Jim Johnson, PHS Class of ’53

4. Pete Santangelo/Lori McPherson

April 24, 2013 at 11:06 pm

So sorry to hear of Ernie’s passing. We’ll miss seeing him here in Daytona Beach. Our most sincere condolences to Faye and family. ~Your neighbors, Pete and Lori.

5. Rhonda Thomas Almarode

April 25, 2013 at 2:23 am

I was so very sorry to hear about Ernie. Thoughts going out to Faye and Chari. I had known Ernie my whole life, him being one of my dad’s very best friends. He was such a great person and so fun to be around. Ernie came to visit my dear mother when she had a stroke and was in the hospital and that meant alot to her and my family. Mom always said that Ernie was the best dancer she ever danced with. Sadly she passed away just a couple of weeks ago. But I know that they are on the other side dancing and having a good ole time and we will be with them again when it’s our time.

6. Jane Bird Claytor

April 25, 2013 at 8:46 am

I grew up with Ernie, starting with grade school and through high school. He was a wonderful friend and we will miss him. He always had a smile on his face. It was always so good to see and talk with him at our class reunions. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Jane Bird (Claytor)
    PHS classmate of 1953

7. Lou & Ken Conner

April 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

We are saddened to hear news of Ernies passing.
    He was a greast guy and we always enjoyed seeing him & Faye at our class re-unions. They were great dancers and he was always a real joy to be with. We will miss him on Claytor Lake.
    Verna Lou Conner – Class of ’53 & Ken class of ’52

8. Gil Pearman

April 25, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I have many fond memories of the entire Fortner family throughout my growing up in Pulaski and being friends of the family. He will be greatly missed by many. My thoughts are with you all.

Gil

9. Jane Robertson

April 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm

So sorry to hear about this passing. I remember him as helpful and upbeat cheerful. He will be missed by all who shared parts of their lives with him.

10. Faye Fortner

April 25, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Thank you for your kind comments about Ernie. He was my love and will be missed greatly. Love to you, Faye