DMT lab discovered in Radford

Radford Police-webBy TRAVIS HANDY

travis@southwesttimes.com

RADFORD—Investigators with Raford City Police Department and members of the Claytor Lake Regional Drug Task Force followed tips to a residence at 421 Sanford St., Radford on March 25 to execute a search warrant in regards to illegal sale of marijuana. As a result the two agencies discovered materials associated with a DMT lab and three arrests were made.

The department made entry into the apartment in the Copper Beech community around 7:30 p.m. Monday, seizing marijuana, numerous smoking devices, over $5,000 in cash, along with “numerous items” associated with the manufacture of DMT. A DMT lab is similar in makeup to a meth lab and uses some of the same ingredients, according to a March 26 release from Radford City Police.

The police department was following drug intelligence when they executed the warrant on the residence and notified the Radford City Fire Department, according to Lt. R.A. Wilburn, “just to be on the safe side.” The fire department responded to check for hazardous materials and test for air quality. Wilburn said no apartments were evacuated and no residents were believed to be in any danger.

Two of the apartment’s residents, Casey Michael Gleich, age 19 of Radford, and Colin Parker Hope, 20 of Radford, were arrested along with Lucas Michael Nelson, 18 of Hampton. Nelson is not a resident of the apartment.

Nelson has been charged with conspiring to sell or distribute more than 1/2 ounce of marijuana and conspiring to manufacture a Schedule I or II controlled substance. He is being held at New River Valley Regional Jail on $1,000 bond.

Gleich was charged with conspiring to sell or distribute more than 1/2 ounce of marijuana, conspiring to manufacture a Schedule I or II controlled substance, as well as manufacturing a Schedule I or II controlled substance. Gleich is being held at NRVRJ on $1,500 bond.

Charges against Hope include conspiring to sell or distribute more than 1/2 ounce of marijuana, manufacturing a Schedule I or II controlled substance, distribution of more than 1/2 ounce of marijuana but less than 5 pounds and conspiring to manufacture a Schedule I or II controlled substance. He is also being held at NRVRJ on a $2,500 bond.

It is not clear whether any of the three men are Radford University students.

Comments

comments

41 Responses to DMT lab discovered in Radford

1. Michael

March 31, 2013 at 11:04 am

I am glad people see the truth exactly the way it is…The illusion (part of the illusion begin the police state and this article) wants individuals “fighting” or thinking in a “negative” manner toward each other…that is precisely how “they” maintain control…DMT is natural, INTENTIONAL, and meant to exist…ALL LOVE WILL COME INTO THE LIGHT : Happy Easter!!!

2. R.N. mb

March 31, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Anyone doing anything illegal is a criminal. And it is illegal to make, use, or sell this. So they are criminals. BUT that doesnt make them bad people. It makes them young and dumb. Not everyone thay gets in trouble is a bad person. Everyone makes mistakes. But they may need help. Unless you know these individuals personally you do not know. And just because its legal to use marijuana in other states does not mea its okay. Its still illegal here which is where this happened making it a crime!

• Really

April 2, 2013 at 12:18 am

Under your logic anyone who flicks a cigarette out the window is a criminal. Anyone who goes 1 mph over the speed limit is a criminal. Anyone who forgets to turn their lights on a 7:55 a.m. is a criminal. Anyone who rolls past a stop sign is a criminal. Anyone who smokes within 25 feet of a entrance to a public building is a criminal. Anyone who has more than 1 or 2 beers on the front porch is a criminal.

But you must be an angel right?

3. Benjamin

March 31, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Heres the real problem since I was young. The govt has attempted to make Marijuana(MJ) out to be evil and a gate way drug. To a point I agree marijuana is a gate way drug but not for the reason uncle sam tells us. Its a gate way drug because it is illegal thus putting it in the hands of drug dealers. When I smoked if my hookup was out he/she would offer something different. If in a controlled sale I doubt a store owner would take that chance. Its also evil but only because it is illegal. According to Uncle Sam I’m a criminal since I have been convicted of possession. Im not a criminal I work pay taxes, pay my bills. I used MJ to relieve pain from injuries I got in the uniform of The US Army I volunteered, and served with pride. Since my conviction I don’t dare mess with MJ a second conviction would cost me my job, and security clearance you see I still serve my country but in a different capacity. So you probably ask yourself if the pain was so bad that I had to brake the law what happened. Simple now the govt sends me 100s of oxycotins(oxys) in the UPS truck.
    As stated before in previous comments marijuana isn’t prone to addiction, but oxys are. I do run out some months and the withdraw is horrible, so when out I miss work. That’s ok though as I said I do continue to serve, so you the taxpayer pay me to stay at home and sleep with out fear because of the fact is I am a disabled veteran. Disabled vets are immune to problems associated with their injuries in govt. service and of corse there is FMLA so I can’t be fired.
    So Joe tax payer keep ruining lives wasting tons of money arresting, and jailing people for non violent drug charges. then when they get out they are not going to get a job so you can pay them not to work too. If it were not for my service connected injuries, and I was caught with MJ I could not have got a job, but since disabled veterans get preference I’m just missing work occasionally. These gentlemen, we taxpayers have arrested today; we will support from now on through welfare food stamps, WIC child support etc. With unemployment as high(pun) as it is and insurance costs, they have NO HOPE EVER GETTING A JOB.
    I do not know about money that could be generated through sales, or how many people are in jail for non violent drug offense, or how much it costs the local courts/police department to put these men in jail. What I do know is I’m not a criminal, I am a hard working tax paying service connected disabled veteran if I were convicted and not a veteran I would now be living in Hidden Valley waiting for my food stamps.
    Guess I’m just lucky. I don’t see that in their future because we taxpayers have sold them out.
    Someone you know like and can’t figure out why they can’t get a job is in this situation.

4. Aaron

April 1, 2013 at 10:41 am

I love Anonymous’ (clever name, by the way) 8:47 a.m. comment. Opens with, “Don’t make assumptions about people you don’t know,” then immediately makes the assumption that these people, whom he/she/it does not know, “are not addicts,” and “are great people with futures that just got into the wrong place at the wrong time.” THEN goes to make the assumption that anyone who touches, cooks or uses crystal meth, MUST be an addict.
    Way to go, genius.
    You are morally superior to us all.

• anonymous

April 1, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I actually do know these people. So why dont you keep your comments to yourself and “stop making assumptions”. and yes people who use crystal meth are addicts. I didn’t say I was superior but I dont like seeing negative comments about people who I love with all my heart stating that they are addicts because they are not. They didn’t get charged with meth now did they? NO. way to go “genius”.

5. Robert Alan Yeatts Jr

April 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm

If we taxed and regulated marijuana we could reduce use. That’s how we were successful with tobacco. Cigarette smoking was at around 40% of Americans in the 1960′s but now it’s somewhere around 17% in 2013. Prohibitionists don’t like to acknowledge the truth but we achieved that goal without arresting anyone.

Now, more high school seniors in America smoke marijuana than cigarettes and that is a undisputed fact supported by research. Why don’t we use our successful tobacco policies on marijuana and see if it works? If it does, why not consider doing the same with other drugs as well?

For those of you who would rather approach the issue under religious context, what was the first prohibition ever?

It was Adam and Eve from the bible. What were they prohibited from eating? The fruit. Who was the Prohibitionist? God. Was it successful? No.

So if God had trouble with this, what makes you think our results will be different than God’s?

6. Kayla Velez

April 2, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Its funny.. all of your brains lack common sense.. why dont you all get off OUR FRIENDS cases and worry about your jobs or school or your own kids smoking weed.. cause i guarantee you they are. You can sit here and copy and paste stuff about DMT that you find on google.. but you know nothing until you actually experience it. On that note even if it is like meth.. you wouldnt know but sense you all did you google research you see that its nothing like it. Now our friends that got into this have family.. you should respect that and keep your opinions to yourselfs.. all your brains en tell are what the media explains to you.. but little do you know are these people.. which all have good souls. never killed or raped anyone, so go to the next story and keep typing up your idiotic comments.

7. Kayla Velez

April 2, 2013 at 8:50 pm

forgive my last two sentences my computers messed up.. didnt make much sense. but you should go to the next story.. cause if it was your children or kids.. you wouldn’t wanted people leading this up to meth.

8. anonymous

April 3, 2013 at 4:07 pm

cat, so your telling me that murder, rape, kidnapping, meth, crack, heroin, etc, everything that i stated above is not a way more serious crime than pot? a harmless drug that is in the process of getting legalized this very moment. and WILL get legalized. It helps people, it’s natural, a plant. it may be illegal in some states but what your saying i cannot even fathom to understand. obviously the person you met has a mother with some serious mental issues, that is irrelevant. no one in their right mind would do that. and dont say its because of the pot, because it doesn’t have any ridiculous effects on the brain like that. it is not a chemical makeup of anything. it’s helping people stay alive, cancer patients, people with stomach problems, anxiety, i could go on and on. what you’ve stated doesn’t make any sense at all. you obviously have been been inside your house for far too long, why dont you get some fresh air and see how our world has progressed..

• cat

April 4, 2013 at 1:10 pm

It is very difficult to debate with someone who so obviously has a hard time with the basics of grammer and spelling but I’ll try. Your logic is this: because it might someday be legal it is permissable now. Using that logic, it would be legal for me to empty my parent’s bank accounts and sell their home because someday it might be mine. You make wild statements but do not cite one reference. Not sure what you mean by “it does not have ridiculous effects on the brain”. Marijuana overactivates the endocannabinoid system, causing the high and other effects that users experience. These include distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, impaired judgement, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and disrupted learning and memory (drugabuse.gov). In case you missed it…distorted perceptions, impaired judgement- perhaps making a parent sell a child. As far as the claim it is not addictive, there are many studies that show the opposite, one of the most famous is from Wake Forest University. Maybe you should put done the pot, leave your house and focus on the real world.

• anonymous

April 4, 2013 at 4:46 pm

this isn’t an english class, i don’t think grammar and spelling is necessary at the moment. But I’m sorry, you’re right. You know everything, I’m just an idiot and have no idea what i’m talking about. Everything I said must be completely and utterly wrong. Except for the fact that’s what were fighting for right now? You can say whatever you want, but this is something I feel very strongly about, and everything I stated is actually true. My mothers fiancee died from esophageal cancer at 49 and every medication they gave him made him feel worse, and you know what he decided? He decided to say screw all the medicine, I’m going to enjoy what i love most and what makes me feel better right now and live out my last few months, and he smoked his pot until the day he died and was as happy as could be. So honestly I don’t need citations and to search a bunch of “facts” on the internet. The government tells you what you want to hear. They want you to believe that its harmful, but It’s not. I’ve seen it first hand. That’s why its medicinally legal in several states right now. And on the contrary, I don’t smoke weed, and I do focus on the real world. This is the real world. I’m done. You’re giving me a migraine.

9. cat

April 4, 2013 at 1:12 pm

done=down

10. Eric B.

April 4, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Cannabis has been cultivated and used, medicinally and otherwise, in North America since at least the 1600′s. With the demise of prohibition in 1933 a vast infrastructure of enforcement was rendered moot. By 1937 a new venue was established in which to deploy these, and considerable other resources. We seem to forget that George Washington grew pot (hemp), and before the revolution, colonists in Virginia were obliged to grow 100 plants each to send back to King James, and guess what they sent? Scores of scientists have railed against it being classified as a schedule one narcotic, millions of people use it here and around the world. It’s far less destructive than alcohol, and it’s abuse potential lies in the person, as with alcohol, guns, etc., not in the substance. It’s palliative properties are already well documented.
    I used to smoke it, lots of it. I used to drink too. I do neither any more, but that’s just me. I wouldn’t want to encounter a seriously stoned person on the road or at the rifle range, just as I’d hope to avoid a drunk driver or shooter. That doesn’t mean a responsible person can’t enjoy the benefits, or at least the effects of either substance, hopefully in moderation and with proper precautions. To equate pot’s use with sticking a needle in ones arm is the fiction posed by such propaganda as “Reefer Madness” which most people consider a camp “best picture”, or other titles like “High School Confidential”. Don’t we have real problems to worry about?