Jack Thomas Long Jr.

Jack Thomas Long Jr., 64, of Pulaski, originally from Roanoke, passed away Monday, Nov. 5, 2012.

Jack, the first born child of Jack T. Long Sr. and Elizabeth R. Long, was born Feb. 1, 1948, in Roanoke. He was preceded in death by his father; his grandparents, James and Viola Long, Clarence and Anna Robertson, and mother-in-law, Joan M. Smith.

Jack attended Roanoke City Public Schools and furthered his education at Howard, Radford and Averett colleges. He served his country in the U. S. Navy.

After over 31 years of service, he retired as postmaster from the United States Post Office in Dublin. Jack’s strong legacy as a family man and caring basketball coach will always be cherished and remembered.

His family includes wife, Donna Long, six children, five grandchildren, mother, Elizabeth R. Long, sister, brothers, aunts, uncles, other relatives and friends.

Services will occur Saturday, Nov. 10, with family and friends visitation at 10 a.m. followed by a memorial service at 11 in the Hamlar-Curtis Chapel with Dr. Edward T. Burton, officiating.  In lieu of flowers, donations to the American Red Cross will be appreciated.

Arrangements by Hamlar-Curtis Funeral Home, 1002 Moorman Road N.W., Roanoke. Condolences can be sent to www.Hamlar-Curtis.com.

Comments

comments

7 Responses to Jack Thomas Long Jr.

1. Drew layne

November 8, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Jack long was a great man and taught me many things, among them how to be a father, a coach and friend. He always welcomed me in his home, especially during the holidays when I was away from my own family. Thanks for everything big guy, rest in peace. Your friend, drew layne.

2. Carl and Patty Suthers

November 9, 2012 at 5:20 am

Our deepest sympathy to the family of Jack Long. What a honor it was to know Jack. He was a great friend, person and a wonderful boss. He will be deeply missed. Many prayers and much love being send to his wife Donna and their family. Carl and Patty Suthers

3. Loretta Pifer

November 9, 2012 at 8:35 am

Donna & Family,
    We are so very sorry for the loss of Jack, such a wonderful & caring person. He will certainly be missed throughout our community.Please know that all of you are in our thoughts & prayers. May God be with each of you in the coming days, and bless you with comfort and peace.
    Love in Christ,
    Loretta, Tim & Debbie Pifer & Family

4. Drew Layne

November 9, 2012 at 11:12 am

Jack Long was a great man and mentor to me. He taught me how to be a better family man, person, and coach. He always welcomed me in his home, especially during the holidays when he knew I was away from my own family. I will never forget his graciousness and hospitality. I am comforted in the fact that this is not good bye but a “see you later.” Rest in peace big guy, your friend Drew Layne.

5. Monica Carden

November 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Jack was a very kind and helpful man. He always was smiling and very friendly. He will be missed.

6. Kenneth Bowling

November 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I first met Jack when he coached my son Chris. Over the years I came to know Jack as a person devoted to his family,wife and lastly the game of basketball.
    People who volunteer and dedicate their time trying to encourage and guide young people in today’s world are rare.
    Sadly,he will be missed by our community.

Ken

7. Beth Gregory

December 5, 2012 at 7:25 am

Jack was one of the best men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Always there for the children of Pulaski with a warm heart and a beautiful smile. Jack, thank you for your dedication to the children; I know Ben is a better person and father because of your guidance and example. The community has suffered a tremendous loss. My heart and prayers are with Jack’s family.