PCHS guidance counselor arrested

Accused of embezzling more than $50,000 from cheerleading program

melinda@southwesttimes.co

Pulaski County High School Guidance Counselor Angelia Paige Harrell was arrested Monday evening on three felony counts of embezzlement, according to police.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Michael Conroy said Harrell was served with the three indictments and voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities. She was released on bond.

According to Conroy, Harrell is alleged to have diverted funds from Pulaski County School System, but more specifically from funds set aside for the cheerleading program. Harrell was a head coach of the varsity cheerleading squad.

The code section under which Harrell is charged deals with the diversion of public funds by a public employee. The charges are Class 4 felonies, each of which carries a possible sentence of two to 10 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $100,000.

The alleged embezzlements occurred between March 2010 and Oct. 2011, said Conroy.

Pulaski County Schools Superintendent Tom Brewster declined to comment on the situation Monday or on the status of Harrell’s employment due to it being a personnel matter.

Comments

comments

340 Responses to PCHS guidance counselor arrested

1. mother of a 2008 grad

September 21, 2012 at 9:24 pm

i am one of those parents that had to fight for my daughters future. we did all the work and ask for one thing to be done and i had to fight for that… she almost missed out on college. she was not a cheerleader, but she did play sports. i feel like the student body and the cheerleaders have gotten short changed. it makes one wonder how many students got left behind from their college education. weather she is or she is not time and the law will tell. i will say this, my daughter has graducated from a 4 year private school and we as parents have to be there for our kids to make sure that we dont depend on others to help them suceed. i went to school at pchs and i will say things have sure changed since then. because people cared back then. maybe this will be a eye opener for our schoo, system and our community.

• PCHS mom

September 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

I also had great difficulty getting cooperation from Ms Harrell as a guidance counselor for my two graduating seniors. I had heard stories of her untimeliness in preparations for college deadlines. It happened to my daughter’s friend. I had to stay on her with constant emails and phone messages. Many were unanswered because of her cheerleading committments. The real shame is that she could have helped so many other children get an advanced degrees, scholarships, better paying jobs, a better life, etc. if she had focused on those that were not already college-bound. Shame on her and shame on those who watched this happen!

• Pat W

October 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Good for you for standing up for your kids. A child’s best advocate is a caring parent.

• Graduate of 2005 BSN from RU

September 27, 2012 at 10:55 am

I have to agree with you. I had the hardest time getting anything done and actually ended up taking a backdoor in the system to get my daughters transcripts to apply to RU in time. This was after Ms. Harrell informed her that she would not make a good nurse. AHHHHHH!!! Well, touche is all I can say, my daughter has made a wonderful nurse, mother and wife and none of that was thanks to any help from Ms. Harrell. I am glad that she hopefully will no longer hold back or influence Pulaski County’s youth. Rah-Rah-Ree! A former PCHS cheerleader myself.

• Pat W

October 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Your comment reminds me of one a recent Nobel Prize winner made. He was told that a science career was not for him. I can’t rem. which prize he shared this year, but it was either medicine or physics.

2. Tberry

September 22, 2012 at 1:16 am

One word…”KARMA”. Now down off her high horse and having to answer for her actions. She can kiss the lifestyle she was trying to keep up goodbye! A mistake is stealing the first time then fixing her mistake and confessing. Stealing that amount of money over a period of time is a habit!

• Shirley Brown

September 22, 2012 at 10:08 am

Now her family can get their heads out of the clouds. They always thought they were above everyone. Karma you sweet thing.

3. Kayla

September 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm

wow, what a brat! Me, being a 2010 graduate and a cheerleader for this school, I am ashamed! She was a horrible counceler and an aweful coach.

• david

October 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm

“Brat” ……..her or you?

4. previous student

September 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm

First of all, I didnt understand where the heck $50,000 came from until I read a post from a cheer mom that said she paid over $900/year from her own pocket not counting fundraisers & boosters. I also read posts that say “if you knew Angie, you would know that she is so nice and would never do this.” Well… I do know her. She isnt nice at all. And she did do this. Where else did the money go?! Why did the kids never recieve the things they paid or fundraised for?! I also agree that she would not have been arrested without sufficient evidence to do so. She obviously got around principals approvals & the finance director & I bet more is missing than they think. Sure, it would be great to find this is a huge misunderstanding (not gonna happen) because we hate to see anyone in this situation, even if they brought it on themselves because- people DO make mistakes..even big fat hairy ones like this.

5. R L Madd

September 22, 2012 at 5:48 pm

If Obama didn’t have redistribution of wealth this wouldn’t have happened!

• david

September 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Touche!

• 07christiangrad

September 24, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Obama has nothing to do with this! People have been doing things like this for along time now. obviously you dont watch the news or read the paper on a regular bases! Am I saying im all for Obama?…NO! But we can not blame him for what a person does! We are all in control of our own actions. Making Uneducated comments such as this one shows why our Nation is in the shape it is in!

• david

October 15, 2012 at 12:50 pm

07Crackgrad, I dont believe your old enough to comment, understand nor attempt to comprehend GROWN FOLK comments. You obviously dont have the common sense to break down and read between the lines of the comment. Better luck next time…….VIVA LA RESISTANCE

• Shirley Brown

September 25, 2012 at 7:47 am

Madd you are MADD, crazy as a loon.What the H— did Obama have to do with it?

• david

October 15, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Wow………reread…….and try again…..VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

6. Trine

September 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I think you should stop for a second and think that there might be a good reason for what she did. She was a huge help to me and a wonderful guidence counselor. I want to give her the benefit of doubt because I know how much support she gave me and other students. She is a kind woman and whould do anything to help her students. She is an open and loving person who does not disereve this kind of badgering!!

• TT

September 28, 2012 at 9:25 am

If she is guilty for what she did, she deserves whatever is handed to her….never judge a book by its cover….Rapist and murderers can seem nice too…..a good reason to do what she did??? yeah taking from others should always have a good reason behind it…right? lol

• david

October 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm

your on the wrong page, the person being baggered is a theif who stole like $50K from kids parents and the Po Dunk Pulaski School System (under their watchful eye). Think your looking for the crack head nurse selling meth page!

• david

October 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Wait I just reread your comment…..”A good reason for what she did”…..Wow, ok since your an advocate please explain what a good reason is for pocketing a large some of money that didnt belong to her, i belive what the law calls….stealing. You must explain further because I have to know this good reason. VIVA LA RESISTANCE

7. Heather Jarrells

September 22, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I wonder how many of you who commented negatively confess to be Christians? Yes, she made a mistake. Yes, she will have to accept her punishment according to the law. Let any of you who have never sinned be the first to throw a stone at her. Forgive and you too will be forgiven. Wouldn’t you want to be forgiven? Forgive as the Lord forgives you. The Lord taught us to pray “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” The Lord teaches us to love our neighbors as ourselves, the second greatest commandment. We should be praying for her and her family, not persecuting them. Dear Lord I thank You in advance, as I know You will make good out of this, because You can make good out of all things. AMEN

• david

September 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm

This is what is wrong with Pulaski. This is law not divinity Mrs. Harrell. “how can you confess to be Christians?” So its ok to steal, because she will be forgiven? Its ok to murder…..because you will be forgiven? Its ok, for someone to maliciously cause you harm….because you will be forgive? What if it happened to you, you could forgive?

Law vs Divinity……this is the question!

• Shirley Brown

September 25, 2012 at 7:49 am

Must be related lol.

8. fedup

September 24, 2012 at 2:31 pm

07christiangrad – before you go correcting other people’s spelling – look at your own grammar. You wrote “put a criminal in there place”. With your excellent education at PC, you should have realized the correct spelling is “their place”. You better look through your comments again to be sure you are not judging other’s comments.

9. fedup

September 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thank you Constant Observer for your comment. Many of us have known the leadership in this school system has been poor for years, just read all of these comments. It’s encouraging to hear things are looking up.

10. just someone

September 25, 2012 at 5:23 pm

What I DO NOT understand is why everyone is on here correcting one anothers spelling????This has turned into the craziest thing I have ever seen on The Southwest Times posts….Regardless of what she has done to everyone (good or bad), she has indeed been caught for stealing….This has nothing to do with how she treated your child, (you should have done something about it when it happened), whose transcripts she sent in & didn’t, what kind of car she drives, she’s a new mom, or whatever else anyone feels for her past actions as a person, a coach, or guidance. Comments should be on the issue at hand. Regardless of how you feel about her, (I do not care for her at all), felt about her, or even care at all, she will be punished accordingly…..I mean WHY are you now bashing each other on here…GOOD GRACIOUS……Grow Up and comment as adults……

• david

October 1, 2012 at 5:49 pm

No, your comment is ment for Dr. Phils website…..this is the newer, up to date, hipper craziest SOUTHWEST TIMES EVER!!!!!!!! Kick rocks and we will remember you as “just someone”.

• Mom

October 4, 2012 at 10:19 am

@justsomeone: Speaking for myself I didn’t know others were treated as bad as I was. I thought maybe it was a one time thing maybe she was having a bad day. And as far as “Regardless of what she has done to everyone (good or bad), she has indeed been caught for stealing….This has nothing to do with how she treated your child”…That has everything to do with it. Have you ever seen a court case when character witnesses are called? Her character shows what type of person she is. It has everything to do with the way our children were treated.