PCHS guidance counselor arrested

Accused of embezzling more than $50,000 from cheerleading program

melinda@southwesttimes.co

Pulaski County High School Guidance Counselor Angelia Paige Harrell was arrested Monday evening on three felony counts of embezzlement, according to police.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Michael Conroy said Harrell was served with the three indictments and voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities. She was released on bond.

According to Conroy, Harrell is alleged to have diverted funds from Pulaski County School System, but more specifically from funds set aside for the cheerleading program. Harrell was a head coach of the varsity cheerleading squad.

The code section under which Harrell is charged deals with the diversion of public funds by a public employee. The charges are Class 4 felonies, each of which carries a possible sentence of two to 10 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $100,000.

The alleged embezzlements occurred between March 2010 and Oct. 2011, said Conroy.

Pulaski County Schools Superintendent Tom Brewster declined to comment on the situation Monday or on the status of Harrell’s employment due to it being a personnel matter.

Comments

comments

340 Responses to PCHS guidance counselor arrested

1. My Counselor

September 19, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I am really disappointed by this, she was a good person and treated students very well. She was my counselor for this year. I hope she is not guilty.

• Notsurprised

September 20, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I had a relative who went to PCHS and had her as a counselor. She treated this relative poorly and was of no use when it came to helping her get everything together to help her with her college paperwork, etc. She has favorites and focused on social status, not helping kids.

• Pat W

October 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm

My money’s with Notsurprised.

• TT

September 28, 2012 at 10:26 am

I knew a nice person once…they are in prison for murder…never judge a book by its cover…that’s always good advice…

2. PerplexedNPulaski

September 19, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Considering this situation in the broader context
    of the justice system and society I think it is appropriate to acknowledge how many have come to her defense perhaps unwittingly so. Nonetheless she will go through the motions and more then likely she will do no jail time or the charges will be dismissed or put under advisement, lowered, etc, etc…but when it comes to the injustices of “justice” for the poverty stricken and afflicted no one speaks out, if only they were born white collar criminals instead!

3. Anonymous

September 20, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’m glad that someone is now checking the accounts and verifying accuracy. I played a sport (rowing) that was not funded by the school. We had to do a ton of fundraisers to get enough money to be able to compete. Whether she is guilty or not, it’s good the school is starting to review these funds and ensure that the money is going to the right place. If she is in fact guilty, at a minimum, I hope she has to reimburse the families who paid into that sum of money.

• Pat W

October 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Agree. However, pretty women rarely go to jail.

4. fedup

September 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

Heather – what about parents that go to a school concerning a teacher behavior problem and they are politely dismissed with a smile and probably labeled a “disgruntle parent”. No, this is not about the entire school system, but if parents weren’t politely dismissed and someone actually cared and looked into their concerns, maybe this issue would have been addressed within months, not years.

5. Mom

September 20, 2012 at 11:37 am

My first encounter with this lady was a meeting with my daughter to get her high school transcripts sent to a college before the deadline. While in her office she talked over us almost making me feel like I was bothering her. She kept interupting and talking to others about colors of the cheerleading outfits etc. Finally she said she would definetly take care of getting the transcripts to the college before the deadline. Guess what…she FORGOT to send them at all. I guess she was too busy with more important things like stealing money from students/cheerleaders who worked their butts off raising that money. I spent so much money (which was hard to come by because I was a single mother working just to make ends meet)for my daughter to travel to that college and audition for what??? Nothing. She did not get accepted due to her transcripts not arriving. I pray justice is done as this is a greedy self centered person that was evidentally only looking out for herself.

• Notsurprised

September 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Something very similar happened to one of my relatives regarding this woman.

6. cougargraduate

September 20, 2012 at 11:46 am

I do have to ask the individual who stated she was just securing she was just securing a future for her newborn, how does that make it okay? It is comments like that that show why I county has gone down hill so much over the last few years. Just because she has a child still gives her no right to steal. We secure futures for our children by working hard and instilling good morals in them, not stealing.

• andrew farmer

September 21, 2012 at 7:33 am

No, I never excused anything. I’m saying that seems much more reasonable than drugs. However, I don’t think she did it. I find it a little hard to believe that effing cheerleaders are raising 50+ thousand dollars in over a year. Secondly, you all speak as if you are privy to some information the rest of the world is not, and so sure of guilt, because of some petty personal grudge, sparked by obvious insecurity. Being accused in a small town, that is rotten with crony politics is almost the same thing as a conviction. I don’t think non-violent BS should be released publicly without a conviction. Say her innocence is proven, everyone will continue to ride this bandwagon into the ground. Words and unfounded accusations are far more powerful than peanut headed housewives that have nothing to do but gossip and condemn think. Also, as under paid as every working staff member in the school system is, they should give that much away to the people laying the foundations for our future. All I’m saying is don’t cast stones like like a Lynch mob until you know EVERYTHING. She has a wonderful family who are entirely innocent regardless of the outcome! Almost everyone in Pulaski has a CONVICTED criminal in relation to them that they no doubt get ntired of having to defend. The politics and closeminded nature of Pulaski is what forced most of its youth to drugs, and the hopeless. emptiness of town that fails to see anything is chooses not to. I’m so glad I’m gone.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Especially in Pulaski! 50 G’S And NO ONE, NO ONE Knew about the money? Everyone in this town KNOWS EVERYONES BUSINESS!

7. You guys are crazy

September 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Who cares if she was a good guidance councilor or coach? Seriously!??! In case you haven’t noticed, Pulaski County is a very economically depressed area. Stealing from children that you are in a position to mentor is absolutely sickening, especially children that can really use that money. Oh, she was nice to you? I guess it felt great getting lied to and robbed. It’s called manipulation, and it sounds like from the chorus of Angie’s willfully ignorant lackeys that she was a master of it. If she’s actually guilty, I hope they throw the book at her so hard it knocks that god complex she has out of her. “Oh, but she’s a nice person. She shouldn’t be in jail!” HAHAH. ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

• Shirley Brown

September 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm

String her up,lol

8. fedup

September 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

BTW lisa vansise-seiple – This woman had a lot of power that played a large role in our children’s future. Just read the comments about transcripts and colleges, and you say don’t judge her. She should be JUDGED and held accountable for her actions!

• Bagus

October 7, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Its understandable why plpeoe become depressed. The world is cruel place where only the strong can truly survive. Humans constantly betray and use one another for their own benefit. They only hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see. Its Pitiful and sad. Out of all the memories one mind can retrieve, the negative memories always surface first, followed by the few happy memories. Humans earned the right to be sad by the dog eat dog world they created.

9. Anonymous

September 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm

My concern is that this has been going on longer than the investigation time period. My daughter started cheering for her Angie in 9th grade and graduated in 2011…..I was told by an employee of PCHS in 2008 that anything that I paid for, to pay with a check or a money order for tracking purposes. I did this, and had to call her hand on a couple of things that we did not receive credit for or items for. Also was till waiting on items after graduation that I called her about and told her to donate the money to another individual that would be cheering that next year. I inturn called the other mother and made sure the money was transfered. I am sure that if the investigators go back and start tracking and interviewing parents, they will find that it was way more than the $50,000. I probably paid out about $900 a year for cheerleading, not including the fundraisers and the thousands of dollars the booster club took in yearly. If someone in 2008 told me to watch how I pay (that she was know to steal money), this has been going on longer that the investigation time period. Although I feel that Angie should be show some mercy because we all fail and make stupid dicisions, the law is the law and she needs to be punished for what she had done. However, I think only charging her for $50,000 is her mercy as I am sure it was way more than that over the years. And for the comment above “the transcript issue” has been an on going problem with her for years….I personal know several graduates that did not get into colleges because she failed to send transcrips.

10. David

September 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I know its rarely done, but the prosecutor in this case should get a change of venue in this case. From most of the posts on here, everyone is in favor of doing the “CHRISTIAN” thing and giving her a second chance. These people could very well be on her jury during her trial.