PCHS guidance counselor arrested

Accused of embezzling more than $50,000 from cheerleading program

melinda@southwesttimes.co

Pulaski County High School Guidance Counselor Angelia Paige Harrell was arrested Monday evening on three felony counts of embezzlement, according to police.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Michael Conroy said Harrell was served with the three indictments and voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities. She was released on bond.

According to Conroy, Harrell is alleged to have diverted funds from Pulaski County School System, but more specifically from funds set aside for the cheerleading program. Harrell was a head coach of the varsity cheerleading squad.

The code section under which Harrell is charged deals with the diversion of public funds by a public employee. The charges are Class 4 felonies, each of which carries a possible sentence of two to 10 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $100,000.

The alleged embezzlements occurred between March 2010 and Oct. 2011, said Conroy.

Pulaski County Schools Superintendent Tom Brewster declined to comment on the situation Monday or on the status of Harrell’s employment due to it being a personnel matter.

Comments

comments

340 Responses to PCHS guidance counselor arrested

1. fedup

September 19, 2012 at 11:43 am

Not surprising coming from Pulaski County School Systems. My child had several good teachers while attending PC schools; but also had several very bad teachers. Trying to tell PC schools that they have some bad teachers is a joke! When will these teachers be accountable for their bad actions?? Some of them have more problems than our children!

2. Wait a minute

September 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

Wait before you judge. She is ACCUSED of doing this,not found guilty as of yet. Even if she did it, does that give you the right to judge her? No. If she is found guilty, she will pay for what she did and so will her family sadly. Don’t be so mean and realize that you aren’t perfect either.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Because the BIBLE SAYS SO!! (you left that out, I knew what you were thinking)

• TT

September 28, 2012 at 10:20 am

Yeah I’m not perfect…I steal 50 THOUSAND dollars all the time…its no big deal….besides like David says people will forgive me because I’m pretty and nice oh the bible!!!

3. County Resident

September 19, 2012 at 12:21 pm

More people should be held accountable and investigated. Checks and balances. Who was supposed to be checking Ms. Harrell’s accounting of the funds? Who at the school level and the school board level are responsible? Mr. Brewster needs to be a leader in asking the questions and holding people accountable.

4. fedup

September 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Heather Odell Shaffer – the only reason you can use your full name is because you are making a positive comment. If you make a negative comment about Pulaski County School Systems, your children that are in school payes the price! The PC school system never admits when their teachers and personnel are wrong!

• Heather Shaffer

September 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

Fedup, the reason I can use my full name is because I am not afraid to stand behind what I say. If I was afraid of what would happen to my child because of a comment I would make, then I believe I would keep my mouth shut and not make the comment in the first place. This isn’t about the entire school system, it is about 1 person accused of committing a horrible crime. Maybe parents that are so quick to judge and make negative comments about someone is what is wrong with the school system.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm

HOW IN THE HELL, does a comment on this website make her childrn pay? That is a redneck thing to say! You gonna have your children beat hers up…COMMON, the pulaski county school system taught you better than that……Or did they?

• just_sayin

October 11, 2012 at 6:38 pm

What?? What are you talking about children beating up hers?? I think the comment was… if a parent makes a negative comment, their children suffer for it.

• david

October 14, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Read between the lines. I believe you can understand simple antagonistic (sp) comments, Only of course if you have a PC education though. “Im just sayin”……..

• fedup

October 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm

There is nothing to read between the lines. I was stating that I felt “MY” child would suffer from retaliation if I voiced my concerns about the lack of leadership in the PC system. My comment had nothing to do with fighting other children, nor would I suggest fighting as a problem solver. You either misread my previous comment or my comment was not clear.

5. David

September 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

This is a shame, she is pretty hott!

6. BIG D

September 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm

SELL THE BMW AND HONDA TO PAY BACK THE KIDS

7. lisa vansise-seiple

September 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm

have you ever made a mistake? and this is assuming that she is guilty, which by the way, has not been proven. i was a cheerleader with her in the late 1980s and she is one of the most ‘stand up people’ you will meet. i haven’t spoken to her since then because i took the ‘wrong road’ for some years….she never abused alcohol, drugs, ect….we all make mistakes, if she really did, and the Bible teaches us….not to JUDGE…so be very careful…..

• PCGRAD

September 20, 2012 at 11:00 am

A mistake is taking $5 that was left in your pocket, a mistake is forgetting to write down a message. Stealing $50,000 over many years is a felony, not a mistake. She willingly continued to take money from this fund. This cannot be considered a mistake. Would you call it a mistke if she was charged with some other violent crime? Just becasue she was someones buddy or friend doesn’t excuse her from her actions. She should be punished to the fullest extent if she is found guilty and from my inside knowledge, she did do all this and more.

• Pat W

October 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I once purchased a cup of coffee at a ballgame and literally forgot to pay for it. I found my mistake when I reached in my pocket and found the $4. I immediately went back to the concession stand & explained to the cashier what had happened. She nearly fell off her seat she was so shocked at someone coming back and admitting a mistake. What I did was a mistake & I immediately corrected my mistake when I discovered it. Stealing $50K is not a mistake. I would be interested in reading comments from parents who “had a feeling something was wrong” and confronted Ms Harrell AND demanded their money back. All in all, I’m enjoying this commentary from an area of the country which values HS sports more than HS education.

• David

September 20, 2012 at 2:24 pm

This is a typical response from a resident of a small liberal mom and pop town, who wants people to understand their dyer situation and make sense of a local issue. Listen, the fact is….she needs to go to jail, just like the rest of the criminals. Taking a stapler, eating a snack from the public refrigerator is a mistake. Taking $50,000 (thats accounted for) is intentional! Give her a second chance after she has made a few thousand license plates, paid back a little restitution, and had an opportunity to THINK about what she has done. Lets say, 2 to 3 years should be good.

Its a shame, she is still pretty hott!

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm

The Bible teaches us….but the PENAL CODE gives us JUSTICE. Seperate Bible from Law!

8. lisa vansise-seiple

September 19, 2012 at 4:40 pm

an btw, heather odell shaffer ROCKS, by far the best human being i’ve ever met…and she is right, don’t judge people….lcv

• Heather Shaffer

September 26, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Wow! Lisa, that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me. I have always thought so much of you! Impressed by your posts on this article and your strength to post your name.

I think a lot of people are missing the point in some of these comments. I am not defending Angie at all. I have no idea whether she did this or not. If she did, then she should be held accountable and she should suffer the consequences of her actions. The point I was trying to make is this, why be so quick to judge and say horrible things? Saying that you are praying for her and feel bad for her family doesn’t mean that you support her actions that she was accused of. It’s just the right thing to do. Period.

• david

October 9, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Ummmmmmmmmmm………welllllllll…..aagggggg, oh yea if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it! Thats what I was thinking of!

• TT

September 28, 2012 at 10:24 am

You guys are cute…no…really you are…lol

9. John F. Logan

September 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I’m sad to read about this. In situations like this, there are no winners. And regardless who’s adjudged guilty, I’m sad that the student-cheerleaders are the ones who suffer. $50,000 is a huge amount of money, and it’s unlikely that all (if any) will be recovered. Regardless, age & experience have taught me that, it’s always important that all in this country are presumed innocent until proven guilty… be patient; the Lord does a good job of shining light on darkness, wherever it may be. Whoever is responsible will pay the price and will need lots of prayer, encouragement, and forgiveness to change for the better and turn a terrible bad choice (or series of them) into the catalyst for a permanent, positive change of spirit.

10. MS. BUBBA

September 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I need somebody too love…Angie baby!!!!!!…

MS. BUBBA

• david

October 14, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Could be a little tough, with a name like Ms. Bubba…..not that you are a nice person….. :)