PCHS guidance counselor arrested

Accused of embezzling more than $50,000 from cheerleading program

melinda@southwesttimes.co

Pulaski County High School Guidance Counselor Angelia Paige Harrell was arrested Monday evening on three felony counts of embezzlement, according to police.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Michael Conroy said Harrell was served with the three indictments and voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities. She was released on bond.

According to Conroy, Harrell is alleged to have diverted funds from Pulaski County School System, but more specifically from funds set aside for the cheerleading program. Harrell was a head coach of the varsity cheerleading squad.

The code section under which Harrell is charged deals with the diversion of public funds by a public employee. The charges are Class 4 felonies, each of which carries a possible sentence of two to 10 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $100,000.

The alleged embezzlements occurred between March 2010 and Oct. 2011, said Conroy.

Pulaski County Schools Superintendent Tom Brewster declined to comment on the situation Monday or on the status of Harrell’s employment due to it being a personnel matter.

Comments

comments

340 Responses to PCHS guidance counselor arrested

1. Former cheerleader

September 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I was a cheerleader there when I was in high school and I remember my shoes, warm-ups, and hoodie were all “back ordered” the entire 3 years I cheered, and we never received our money back for those, nor did we ever receive our stuff.

2. cougargraduate

September 18, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Although she did a lot of good things as a counselor, it doesn’t excuse what she did. Just because you have done good doesn’t mean that you can go out and steal from the school & get off because you were a good counselor. She did the crime & she must now do the time.

• Notsurprised

September 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Well, it depended on who you were as to whether or not she did good as a counselor, but that unfortunately isn’t part of what she is being questioned on.

3. Cougar88

September 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Can’t believe just cause one person did something wrong at PCHS people assume the whole school has a problem.. I played football and I know for a fact that TD club raises all money for the football team properly.. this was a isolated event not involving any other coach or team at PCHS

• Former Employee

September 20, 2012 at 11:12 am

I worked there for four years, and yes, the whole school system is corrupt.

4. Cougar88

September 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm

and the statement earlier that she would “forget” to send transcripts is completely true.. it never happened to me but happened to many of my friends

• Notsurprised

September 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Happened to one of my relatives too.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm

YEP….and Billy Wayne, and Jimmy Dean, and dem dire Cressell Boys’, ummm, whats dire names…Bubba and Jo Bob. Outen to be dun shame herself, she shoulda!

5. Tammy K

September 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I think more information needs to be gathered. Ms. Harrell is a wonderful person. She has done a good job for the seniors at PCHS. She really helped my son with his college and scholarship applications. You would think people would wait and see all the evidence before they start saying bad things about her. Why do people make mean comments when I person is down instead of addressing the issue when a person is on his/her feet? People should know that she has a family, and they should take into consideration their words when talking about this matter. We love you Ms. Harrell, and we will keep you in our thoughts. Thank You so much for the time and compassion you offered my son while he attended PCHS. — Tammy K.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Yes…she did such a great job, she took 50G’s right out from underneath the entire county! YES, WONDERFUL!!!!

• TT

September 28, 2012 at 10:09 am

Tammy you should’ve just given her 50k and none of this would’ve happened….I’m glad she has her relatives backing her…put yourself in those families that she ripped off then lets re-evaluate how you feel..k..police don’t just go around arresting people without some kind of evidence….just think about it…k

• david

October 15, 2012 at 1:25 pm

ok more information……..Give me a “T”…Give me a “H”…..Give me a “I”…..Give me a “E”…..Give me a “F”…..Whats that spell……Say it again………any questions? VIVA LA RESISTANCE

6. cougar parents

September 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Amount is to high to be only cheerleaders money. I heard that she got scholarship money that was supposed to go to kids. My baby couldnt get anyhelp from no one there for college so now we no why that is!!!

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I heard she was pregnant with the coach’s child.

7. Concerned

September 18, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Why don’t all these concerned former cheerleaders Leave names? This junk has been an ongoing issue! The couch Is not the cheer program! These girls that have nothing to do with this mess are!!!!! Cheer Dad

8. Concerned

September 18, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Android phone “coach “

9. Peppy

September 18, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Glad she got caught, it has been fact that she was pocketing the money for a long time. Another example of her taking money is to tell the cheerleaders they owed her money right before graduation and if th y idn’t not pay she would tell them they could not graduate….if u cant do the time, dont do the crime.

10. In the system

September 18, 2012 at 9:55 pm

This has been going on for yrs.There has always been talk about the amount of money and things not adding up. Typical Pulaski Co trys to suck in the Shop-vac. Not this time.Time for the Cougar Growler to come back into growler is and should be brought back.