PCHS guidance counselor arrested

Accused of embezzling more than $50,000 from cheerleading program

melinda@southwesttimes.co

Pulaski County High School Guidance Counselor Angelia Paige Harrell was arrested Monday evening on three felony counts of embezzlement, according to police.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Michael Conroy said Harrell was served with the three indictments and voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities. She was released on bond.

According to Conroy, Harrell is alleged to have diverted funds from Pulaski County School System, but more specifically from funds set aside for the cheerleading program. Harrell was a head coach of the varsity cheerleading squad.

The code section under which Harrell is charged deals with the diversion of public funds by a public employee. The charges are Class 4 felonies, each of which carries a possible sentence of two to 10 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $100,000.

The alleged embezzlements occurred between March 2010 and Oct. 2011, said Conroy.

Pulaski County Schools Superintendent Tom Brewster declined to comment on the situation Monday or on the status of Harrell’s employment due to it being a personnel matter.

Comments

comments

340 Responses to PCHS guidance counselor arrested

1. cougar08

September 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm

wow.I cant believe that.she helped me during high school,she knew i was a teen mom with all my credits to graduate and she helped me get early graduation so i could stay with my baby.dont judge a book by its cover everyone messes up that makes them human doesnt make her a horrible person.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Yes, she helped alot of people. I remember when she stole 50G’s from the pulaski county school system, and all she was trying to do was “Secure her Future.” You people should be ashamed for leaving negative comments on such a great criminal.

• TT

September 28, 2012 at 9:57 am

David I have to agree with all your responses….we need to love her because the bible tells us to….she obviously needed that 50g more than her cheerleaders and their family….poor Ms Harrell..I am just wondering if I could rob a bank because I would like a new car…I will be forgiven and hey I need it more than the bank does..right??

2. RGIII

September 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm

State police need to look farther back than the time frame list in these charges, for it has gone on for many many years. I wonder now that she is gone from guideance will the begin the awards of valedictorian and salutatorian, for she is the one to remove this award from the kids.

3. Unc bubba

September 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Goes to show all systems are broken we just lucked up and cought one
    What a shame we don’t catch more .

• david

October 15, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Unc Bubba……Let me try to introduce you to Ms Bubba!

4. Anonymous

September 18, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Every dog has there day! She’ll get what she deserves. Ya’ll little preppy cheerleaders would be the ones to back her up. obviously you guys don’t know her like you say you do. smh, idiots!!

• david

October 15, 2012 at 9:12 am

A bit of hostility it appears……..

5. Regina

September 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I wonder if she got caught up in all of that meth that was going around?

• TT

September 28, 2012 at 9:58 am

Is that the new drug for Pulaski now…moving up from the oxi’s ….wow…so proud of Pulaski!

6. observer

September 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Don’t be shocked if this woman is the fall-guy for bigger problems in the system. Athletic Directors are the ones who order the uniforms, handle the money, etc., and I am sure they never give the coaches receipts for these things. $50,000 really? In a year and a half? IF the cheerleaders are pulling in that kind of money, what are the football players, band people, or anyone else there earning with fund-raisers? The truth doesn’t always come out, especially if there are vindictive parents involved in the accusations. There is usually more to situations like this than meets the eye. Don’t be too quick to judge lest the same thing happen to you.

• Left that place for a reason!

September 19, 2012 at 2:47 am

Indeed. I hope the whole story is exposed!

• Band parent

September 19, 2012 at 8:58 am

I know for a fact the band booster program doesn’t have this kind of money because I am one of them. We work our tails off to earn what we get from concessions and other fundraisers that we do in order for our band students to go to their competitions etc.

• Drema ODell

September 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm

AT least a few people in Pulaski County can make a sensible comment. I am not saying she did or did not do this. I am upset to see how hateful people are to bring up so many things that have NOTHING to do with this story. Her personality? Missed meetings? She is only charged with stealing a large amount of money. The story will be told in court!!! She will pay for her crime when found guilty. Then I hope she gets a chance to rebuild her life.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm

DONT WORRY…..GOD is here to punish the wicked Mrs. Odell :)

• TT

September 28, 2012 at 10:02 am

Ms Odell…this is a blog that is what people do on blogs….express their opinions and so forth….We all still love Ms Harrell very much and those cheerleaders and family should forgive her…Ms Harrell I am sure is just so lovely..that’s why I forgive her already…lol

7. Na

September 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Im so sorry that some ppl have nothing better to.do.in there
    Lives but.talk bought someone who.made a mistake but alot of good
    As well as changed.lives and help students to do everythang they could to get out of pulaski county!!! Every one makes mistake and eceryone can do something wrong! I feel bad for her and her family and her feiends just becuase u do something wrong doesnt mean u a bad person but I would like to thank you for all the good u did and can still do
    ( student of 2007)

• Va Girl

September 18, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Made “a mistake”???? You drop a glass of milk…that’s a mistake. You figure a math problem incorrectly. That’s a MISTAKE. You steal $50K? Um…that is a CRIME.

She was my son’s guidance councilor and she was SO RUDE and unprofessional. When I told my son (who is in college now) about her the only thing he texted back was, “she sucked”. Yup. I asked her once to send me some information because I’d accidentally deleted the email (THAT was a “mistake) and what was her response? “I ALREADY SENT THAT TO YOU ONCE.”

Well no crap. I need it sent again. She acted like I was asking for her to cut off her left foot to resend an email. She’ll get just what she deserves.

• Pat W

October 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm

VA Girl: I hope your son is doing well in spite of having poor/no guidance in HS.

Car model & housing are the 1st clues about spending money you don’t have.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm

You forgot to mention the bible????

• TT

September 28, 2012 at 10:04 am

Na maybe you should leave Pulaski and see that stealing 50k is not some little mistake unless you make mistakes like this all the time than excuse me I will too go read the bible on forgiveness….Oh I should also forgive a rapist and murderer too…where do you draw the line on “mistakes”

8. just someone

September 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm

WOW…….I can not believe this……I went to High School with her and Im SHOCKED……She always thought she was better than everyone else, HUH…..

9. Former Cougar

September 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I heard from cheerleaders that if girls quit the team, she would “forget” to send their transcripts when they applied to colleges. No idea if that’s true though, she seemed to forget a lot of people’s papers.

10. Constant Observer

September 18, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I have heard this story from cheerleader parents for the last decade. Money raised for uniforms, but uniforms were never ordered or still had to be paid for at full price by the student. Shoes that were paid for and arrived once they had went on clearance. I have known this for some time, and have discussed it with several people around the program, this is not news, it is just that people in the program were scared to report it due to our poor leadership in the schools. Hopefully that will change, as all boosters must have financial reporting to the board and this is likely how this was found. I am sure here records were zilch, or receipts from the Belk-Leggett. Now we can move forward and start a new day.

• C

September 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

Constant Observer: You have said it better than anyone. There have been concerns about this for a very long time. Unfortunately if you did try to address it with the “administration”, you were dismissed. I was.

As to her innocence or guilt, a court of law will decide that. However, the real issue at hand is an obvious lack of a checks and balances system at the high school.

I hope the administration at PCHS will take heart, get their heads out of the sand, and in the future not dismiss a parent as simply being “disgruntled”.

From this, my hope is they will learn to actually follow up on a concern or complaint, no matter how trivial it may seem at the time. May save them some future headaches…

• S. Little

September 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm

You are wrong about the admin knowing about it…cheerleading funds (at that time) ran through the cheer booster club. The athletic directors, principals, any leadership involved with the school wouldn’t be privy to those funds. From what I understand she was advised to run her cheer funds through the school because of complaints from parents. It was her choice to handle the funds herself. So do not judge the school system and their employees for something they did not have anything to do with. However I am surprised that the cheer boosters raised $50K in one year…that’s pretty impressive…

• C

September 20, 2012 at 11:33 am

I am “judging” because of years of my own experiences with Angie Harrell, PCHS cheerleading and the PCHS administration. I complained about this (among other questionable things) nearly 2 years ago. Another parent I know complained 4 years ago. I could go on and on regarding the people I personally know who have complained over the years. So the administration should have been very aware that something was amiss simply by the mulitple phone calls they received regarding the exact same issue. Even better, we were all told the same thing-”It would be followed up on”, only to never hear anything back. I can’t tell you how many times I called the school regarding other issues as well), had to leave a voicemail, and was never called back. (I would LOVE for any parent of a PCHS student who has had this happen to them comment on this post–I’m sure the numbers would be staggering!) This is their M.O.–deflect confrontation until the confronter gives up. Then they don’t have to really deal with anything.
        My initial point was regardless of whatever “pot” the funds initially went into; it is IDIOTIC to not have a check and balance system in place, especially if those funds are for a public school sport.
        I wrote checks to PULASKI COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL. For a PULASKI COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL SPORT. Therefore, PULASKI COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS have some accountability.

• Seenitallbefore

September 22, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Angie was 1 that got caught..But there have been others before her that have done the same thing, but it’s been covered up by the School Board, and nothing was ever done to them, except being moved to another position.
          I think the School board needs to be audited, cause she is not the only one with her hand in the pot.

On another note (not related to Angie) the school board should make each employe take random drug tests, from the things I have seen and heared it should be mandatory..just a sugestion…

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I agree….but she is Hott!