PCHS guidance counselor arrested

Accused of embezzling more than $50,000 from cheerleading program

melinda@southwesttimes.co

Pulaski County High School Guidance Counselor Angelia Paige Harrell was arrested Monday evening on three felony counts of embezzlement, according to police.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Michael Conroy said Harrell was served with the three indictments and voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities. She was released on bond.

According to Conroy, Harrell is alleged to have diverted funds from Pulaski County School System, but more specifically from funds set aside for the cheerleading program. Harrell was a head coach of the varsity cheerleading squad.

The code section under which Harrell is charged deals with the diversion of public funds by a public employee. The charges are Class 4 felonies, each of which carries a possible sentence of two to 10 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $100,000.

The alleged embezzlements occurred between March 2010 and Oct. 2011, said Conroy.

Pulaski County Schools Superintendent Tom Brewster declined to comment on the situation Monday or on the status of Harrell’s employment due to it being a personnel matter.

Comments

comments

340 Responses to PCHS guidance counselor arrested

1. Cherish

September 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm

WELL, its about time! This was going on before all this too, all the cheerleaders and parents need to come forth and tell the Virginia State Police the REST of the story. Its so sad, these girls worked really hard to raise money for their team and never got uniforms either, But that coach sure did ride in a nice car. VERY sad, GREAT work Va State Police!!

2. kl

September 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm

glad she got caught. i always knew there was something sketchy about this woman. She never wanted to help anyone out unless they were a football player or one of the cheerleaders she stole from

3. Sandi

September 18, 2012 at 2:26 pm

WOW I can’t believe this if we can’t trust the people in our schools whatever are we supposed to do,and what kind of counseling did she provide for the children. WOW

4. 03 student

September 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm

She was always quick to judge! As one she judged its suprising to me. I was a good student and involved In activities. Just wasnt a rich stuck up student.

5. greg worrell

September 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm

While constructed of concrete and steel;those Jail doors do Not discriminate & accept All people, regardless of youth,beauty,money or societal status.Be it pencil or pistol;stealing is a 10 commandment!!Bring back Everett P. Shockley for Justice in southwest virginia.

• InTheKnow

September 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Bring back Shockley? lol. I guess if you want to be sure that the crooks from the “right” families don’t get prosecuted then that would be a good idea.

6. pchscheer06

September 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I was a cheerleader from 04-06 and i paid out a lot of many that didnt make since. Angie is a good person she has just made some bad mistakes that she needs to be responsible for. I remember paying for my uniform that we were suppose to get to keep that she said she had to send them back to have them fixed (they were falling apart) but we never got a new uniform or our money back and they were expensive. my prayers are with her because she is going to need them .

7. MHM

September 18, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Angie Harrell was one of the most offensive staff members I ever encountered when I was a student at PCHS. It does not surprise me in the least that she broke the law to help herself. She was never there for her students.

8. Deerdance93

September 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm

As a former student of PCHS, (class of ’11), I had heard a lot of things throughout the last few years at school, to do with Angie Harrell and money. Once, at a cookout, hosted at my Aunt’s house, no less, a full on conversation was brought about by parents of friends who had funds “misplaced” under her watch. The fact that she would let adolescent girls take the fall for her petty, selfish, criminal acts, just proves, to me anyway, that any jail time coming her way is well deserved. She may be a :good person”, and she may have been a part of the school system for some time, but there is definitely nothing professional or ethical about what she did, and as an alumna of all the years this went on, I just have to say this was for sure a long time coming.

9. Lana

September 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm

WHAT an EXAMPLE OF GUIDEANCE !!!!

10. Another Former Cheerleader

September 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm

The sport of cheerleading is expensive in itself. Ask anyone, at any school, in any state. Unfortunately, some schools, including Pulaski, don’t have the funds to be able to fund some extra curricular activities. And if you don’t have the Touchdown club to fundraise so much money for you, yes it does become expensive. So don’t “wonder why those girls had to pay so much.” Anyone who has ever cheered under Angie from 2012 and back knows that she would do anything for her cheerleaders and cares about all of them. Through my four years at the high school and cheering under her program, she become a mom figure to not only myself, but all of my other teammates as well. Up until her resignation last spring from the cheer program, the Pulaski County Cheer program was one of the most highly respected and best sideline squads in the area. Before you state your opinion on a situation in which you know absolutely nothing about, or more importantly, a woman in which you know nothing about, actually talk to someone who was in the cheer program and hear about the amount of respect that they had, have, and will continue to have for her. In this past year without her as cheer coordinator, the program has crumbled and is in no way the same quality as it was with her. She is a hard working, respected woman and I will stand behind her!

• Va Girl

September 18, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Or talk to a parent and their student (like my son and I) who were treated like trash by her. Once I even left work nearly TWO hours early so I could make a 2pm appt. with her over my son’s scholarship application and she had LEFT EARLY and not bothered to contact me. I lost 2 hours of pay and not the consideration of a phone call. What I finally did get in touch with her she had “forgotten”. How convenient. Did the same to my son after school one day. He went to the office and waited and waited to find she was long gone. She may have put on a nice face for the cheeleaders that were helping her with her extra income, but the rest of us? Nothing.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:35 pm

VA Girl…..keep reading the comments. You will learn that the “Bible” says to forgive her, that its ok, she has been forgiven. The law doesnt matter in Pulaski County. You should forgive her for your sons application, the loss of pay, and her inconsideration for you and your son. Read the Bible Va Girl…….Read the Bible!