PCHS guidance counselor arrested

Accused of embezzling more than $50,000 from cheerleading program

melinda@southwesttimes.co

Pulaski County High School Guidance Counselor Angelia Paige Harrell was arrested Monday evening on three felony counts of embezzlement, according to police.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Michael Conroy said Harrell was served with the three indictments and voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities. She was released on bond.

According to Conroy, Harrell is alleged to have diverted funds from Pulaski County School System, but more specifically from funds set aside for the cheerleading program. Harrell was a head coach of the varsity cheerleading squad.

The code section under which Harrell is charged deals with the diversion of public funds by a public employee. The charges are Class 4 felonies, each of which carries a possible sentence of two to 10 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $100,000.

The alleged embezzlements occurred between March 2010 and Oct. 2011, said Conroy.

Pulaski County Schools Superintendent Tom Brewster declined to comment on the situation Monday or on the status of Harrell’s employment due to it being a personnel matter.

Comments

comments

340 Responses to PCHS guidance counselor arrested

1. Nathan

October 6, 2012 at 5:17 pm

If I go to Dublin Walmart, and purchase lets say a iPad I get home and there isn’t a iPad in the box. What do you do? You go back to the store. If customer service does not help you with the problem you go the the manager. If the manager does not help you , you call Walmart headquarters
    If my child paid for cheerleader shoes, uniforms, and did not receive them, I would go to the school athletic first, then to the principal , then to the school board.

2. Pat Lieu

October 7, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I be the students she was nice to were “outwardly attractive” and had a dime or 2 in their pockets. I bet the students she was mean to were from families that weren’t as well off or looked like normal people.

• david

October 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Omfg! REALLY!!!!!!

• No1Important

December 13, 2012 at 10:33 am

This statement is 100% correct!

3. concerned

October 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Someone needs to get all the crack dealers and users off the streets of Pulaski County and worry about the safety of us and our children, There is a major problem here that needs to be addressed.

4. Coouugaaaacrazzzz

October 8, 2012 at 2:46 am

Innocent until proven guilty.

• TT

October 9, 2012 at 7:49 am

they arrested her for no reason nor did they have any evidence? hmmmm….

5. Ben

October 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I think most of the responders have missed the point. This woman is accused of steatling nothing more or less.
    To blame the victims,PCHS community, or the county residents is upsurd.
    Go fwd with the idea that pulaski is nothing but a bunch of pill popping junkies. You only show just how ignorant you are(guess a victim of Pulaski County Schools)… ohh you right it is fun to blame the innoccent, and those who don’t even know this woman.

• david

October 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Well I think 50K is a pretty big something…dont you? Accused is correct with regards to your comment and yes innocent until proven guilty, 12 jurors, leave the bible out. I give your comment 3.75 stars!

6. Maryland Resident

October 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Well! I must say this has all been *very* entertaining! I always tell my friends to definitely read the news stories, but the best entertainment is in the comments.

Here is what I’ve gathered from this article and the comments:
    A PCHS guidance counselor who was also the cheer leading coach was arrested on 3 counts of embezzlement.
    I’ve learned that people who proclaim to be Christians think more of the thief than the victims.
    People who didn’t take typing in school can still *fat-finger* out a comment.
    Some of the individuals posting comments apparently never paid attention in elementary school when homonyms were explained.
    Grand theft can be excused if you have a new baby or come from a good family. (This is my favorite & is similar to the Christian thing.)
    Angie Harrell is a con artist.
    Angie Harrell is a sweet person.

My overall analysis is that this woman was most likely “under surveillance” for some time prior to her arrest. The court system will make the final determination. She may make a deal – based on the strength of the evidence – and a trial will be avoided. Making a deal will save her family from the embarrassment of a trial.

Enjoy the trial and thank you so much for providing me with a very entertaining “read” for this afternoon.

7. Barbara

October 12, 2012 at 6:46 am

The very fact that parents complained and were ignored is disturbing to me. Not only is Angie guilty of stealing the money from her beloved cheerleaders and their parents but she also performed her job as a guidance counselor poorly. The School Board allowed these complaints to go unheeded. I think they are just as guilty as Angie. I know several teachers need to be investigated but are not. I think as far as the bible goes ….you reap what you sow. This includes all of us. If we don’t make ourselves heard then how can expect results. I don’t care what they label me or what they say about me…when it comes to my child I will stand and scream and shout til I am heard. Trust me, if you SCREAM loud enough, someone will eventually hear you. Parents don’t let them by with only blaming Angie….when they ignored your complaints and your phone calls….they stold from you as well.

8. Gary Hall

October 31, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I see she’s an attractive white woman…no wonder she seems be getting the benefit of the doubt. If she were black, the Court of Public Opinion would have already found her guilty. Same old South.

• Maryland Resident

November 2, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Gary – I see you’ve been paying attention!

• Susie

November 28, 2012 at 9:42 am

Really the race card please !!!! Anytime anything happens or anyone does anything someone wants to play the race card just dont get it.

9. John Akers

November 3, 2012 at 5:37 am

Why hasn’t her picture been in the Crime Times like everybody else that has committed a crime.People have been watching for it ever since this happened.So there is a double standard.I see it depends on who you are and who you know I guess.She is guilty or she wouldn’t have been arrested on three felony counts of embezzlement by the Virginia State Police or voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities.

• Editor

November 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Editor’s Note: The Southwest Times would like to mention that we are not in any way affiliated with the Crime Times or responsible for the content of their publication.

• No1Important

December 13, 2012 at 10:36 am

AGREE 100%

10. unname

November 4, 2012 at 2:38 am

i hope she gets what is comeing to her, and throw away the key when she goes too jail

• David

November 9, 2012 at 9:51 pm

unname…as though we all want her to go down for what she has done…lets look at the facts in the case and you make the ultimate decision.

1) She is pretty…believe it or not that will probably take her far in the court room, especially with that southern down home all american girl smile. BELIEVE IT…it works.

2) She is white…now I dont like to play the race card, and by no means I am not racist and see no color, Since Im married to a beautiful Island girl..anywho, this is Virginia! So the fact that she is white will play in her favor, especially since she was a confused christiano who needed money because of something terrible that was going on in her life.

3) She has won the hearts and minds of many of the people on this blog, imagine if she were to actually go to trial. Its rarely done by the prosecution, but I believe if it does go to trial, they should ask for a change of venue, because she will walk with a light sentence, if she is tried in Pulaski. The people who support her and believe in the power of prayer and forgiveness..will be her jury.

4) She was an educator. Now that this has happened, will she be afterwords, probably not, but it could be apart of her PLEA DEAL, that she is sure to take. This was also what appears to me, HER FIRST OFFENSE. Because of all the listed reasons…the best anyone, Prosecution, the mob on this forum, or the people whom she stole from….best case scenario, realistically…

Restitution and pay back the money she took, in payments. Court fees, Probably Probation, Maybe community service, and what is called a defered adjudication, meaning if she completes all the requirements her record will be wiped clean. She will probably plea to keep her teachers license, and will probably retain it. However, she may be done in Pulaski, Giles, Montgomery, Christiansburg..is right across the street.

Though this is crappy for the people whom she deceived, I believe this is all anyone can hope for…VIVA LA RESISTANCE!