PCHS guidance counselor arrested

Accused of embezzling more than $50,000 from cheerleading program

melinda@southwesttimes.co

Pulaski County High School Guidance Counselor Angelia Paige Harrell was arrested Monday evening on three felony counts of embezzlement, according to police.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Michael Conroy said Harrell was served with the three indictments and voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities. She was released on bond.

According to Conroy, Harrell is alleged to have diverted funds from Pulaski County School System, but more specifically from funds set aside for the cheerleading program. Harrell was a head coach of the varsity cheerleading squad.

The code section under which Harrell is charged deals with the diversion of public funds by a public employee. The charges are Class 4 felonies, each of which carries a possible sentence of two to 10 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $100,000.

The alleged embezzlements occurred between March 2010 and Oct. 2011, said Conroy.

Pulaski County Schools Superintendent Tom Brewster declined to comment on the situation Monday or on the status of Harrell’s employment due to it being a personnel matter.

Comments

comments

340 Responses to PCHS guidance counselor arrested

1. Tonia

September 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Im so glad she got caught she deserves it! As what i’ve heard she took the money from cheerleaders which i paided in to it for the last 3 years!!!

• Kritnin

September 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

Haha ain’t that the truth, I was wondering why they all was paying so much money. I knew something was sketchy about her!!

2. Capnsk

September 18, 2012 at 10:42 am

@Tonia: Hmm… The last time I checked, in America you’re innocent until proven guilty. You’re exactly what’s wrong with common everyday busybody public remarks from people who think they know it all, you throw out some uneducated judgment without having an inkling of what the facts might be. Especially saying ” as what I’ve heard “. Heard from whom, what or where? I think you said it all in your poor grammar usage of ” I paided in “. A little less exhaust and a lot more intake would befit you.

• Dude

September 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Hey grammar police – look up “comma splice”. You’re exactly what’s wrong with common everyday stone-throwing grammar nazi.

• Harrison

September 18, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Cool story bro. Too bad no one gives a sh-t.

3. Sandee

September 18, 2012 at 10:55 am

How can the superintendent say its a personal matter when the money came from a school program? That sounds stupid on his part!

• Patrick

September 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm

He said it was a Personnel matter.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Stupid is as stupid does……HUH! Can I get an AMEN! (i need to go read the bible)

4. Grad2003

September 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

I worked closely with Angie when I was a student there 99-03. She is a great person and was one of my biggest advocates while I was a student there at PCHS. I will never forget that. I am shocked and hope she won’t have to spend anytime behind bars.

5. Ashley

September 18, 2012 at 11:54 am

There has to be something to this story we don’t know yet. I find it hard to believe that she embezzled $50,000 within a year or two. If she is guilty then I’ll be glad they caught her because alot of parents in pulaski didn’t have the money they donated to this booster. I just hope both sides to the story are told.

6. Bethany

September 18, 2012 at 11:55 am

where did pulaski get that mjuch money newayz

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Well they saved alot on their phonics program over the years.

• Joy

September 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Are you really that stupid David???

7. Opal

September 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm

This Lady, Angie Harrell, is one of many, who verbally abused me, during my tenure as a student in the Pulaski County School System. Being a physically handicapped person, I felt defenseless. “What goes ’round, comes ’round,”and I am anxiously awaiting the rest of them to get their due” as their own circumstances prevail.

8. Pepper

September 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm

It’s about time! She stole the funds I raised for a fundraiser when I was a freshman cheerleader in turn making me look like a thief to all the people who bought products from me.

9. Va Girl

September 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm

The charges say the funds they KNOW were stolen were taken during a 1 1/2 yr. time span. NO doubt it started with a few dollars here and there and became an addiction to continue taking more. Believe me, I am in no way excusing her, but money does bring out some very nasty traits in people they did a very, good job of hiding for a long time. (until they are caught)

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Yea, 5 here 1 there…can add up to 50G’s in a year and half time period. She had to take at least 700 a week for that to happen in that amount of time.

10. Formercheerleader

September 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I cheered under Angie for 4 years. I know people say she took extra care of her cheerleaders, but doesn’t every coach? To hear these completely ignorant people commenting on this infuriates me. Angie watched out for me everyday I was at that high school. She was nothing but good to me. She was a great coach and someone I could go to for absolutely anything. So, before people take time out of their obviously pathetic lives just to get on here to bash a women they don’t even know they should realize how many girls she’s helped through her many years as the cheer coach. Not to mention how good the program was under her. Pulaski was known for their sideline squads and that was all Angie. I was and still honored to have cheered under her, and no matter what people say about her I will back her up 100%.

• Grad2003

September 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm

TO Formercheerleader:

I agree 100% and completely agree with everything you have typed here. She was an awesome coach, someone you could confide in and believed in my cheer squad while I was there and took care of us. Obviously we don’t know the whole story yet, so the fact everyone is already to quick to tear her apart, is completely unfair.

• david

September 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm

She has been forgiven….The bible told me so :)

• TT

September 28, 2012 at 9:48 am

lol David! I’m sure alll the people she ripped off will forgive her too…I’m sure needed the money more than they did anyways…I mean if it was me she took from and just because she smiled at me and answered a text or two from me then she must really love me