Michael Leon Smith

Michael “Michael J,” “Hogg” Leon Smith, 45, departed this life April 9, 2012.

He was born June 5, 1966 to Cordellia Christine “Puddin” Lethcoe in Abingdon.

Michael J. was educated in the Pulaski County school system, graduating from Pulaski County High School in 1985. Michael played many sports throughout his life and was a power weight lifter competing in several states finishing with a personal best of 660 pounds, earning him the title of “The Strongest Man in Southwest Virginia. He played for the Roanoke Rush football team in Roanoke from 1995-1997.

He leaves to cherish his memory his wife, Sarah Farmer, of Pulaski; three children, Amber Webb, of Hopewell, Hagan Smith and Shana Farmer of Pulaski; mother and stepfather, Cordellia and William Thompson, of Roanoke; mother and father-in-law, Freda and Willie O’Dell, of Pulaski; grandmother, Margaret Webb; special father, Charles Cook; brother and sister-in-law, John and Robin Farmer, of Bedford, and Rebecca Isom, of Wytheville; aunts and uncle, Marvin and Sharon Gant, of Roanoke; Doris Holt, Penny Smith, Betty Smith, Judy Johnson, and Edith Boysaw; nieces and nephew Kaleena Sayers, Kayla Isom and Dakota Akers, and a multitude of loving cousins and friends.

Please join us at Bob White Boulevard Church of God for the celebration of Michael J’s life Saturday, April 14, at 1 p.m. Visitation will be held Friday, April 13, from 6:30-8:30 p.m., at Bob White Boulevard Church of God.

Final rites entrusted to Penn’s Funeral Home, Pulaski.

Please send online condolences to pennsfuneralhome@gmail.com.

20 Responses to Michael Leon Smith

1. Paul Cox - Pulaski, VA

April 13, 2012 at 9:57 am

Michael J. was a good longtime friend of mine who will be missed. We pray for his children and his family. May our Lord grant to them an extra measure of grace to see them through the days ahead. I coached Michael J. in football and baseball when he was a boy. He grew up with our children. In the recent past we would workout together at the YMCA. He was always glad to see me and always had a big hug and smile for me. I will never forget him encouraging me to bench press 225 pounds. With all the bouts of cancer I have experienced, he help me develop a strong body that has help me over the years. As Michael you to say, “Don’t let the dogs out!” I will miss him and his funny ways. Blessings to his family and all his friends…

2. SHARON BOYD-CHURCHWELL

April 13, 2012 at 1:00 pm

MICHAEL J WAS A WONDERFUL FRIEND, AND HE WILL BE MISSED BY ALL WHO KNEW HIM. MAY THE PEACE OF GOD BE WITH YOU ALL DURING THIS DIFFICULT TIME. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH THE FAMILY.

3. sherri anderson

April 13, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Michael J was a longtime friend of mine and my exhusband, he spent alot of time with us playing with our kids and he was always so full of life, he could make anybody laugh.He will truely be missed and remembered for all his sports activitys.
    I sent prayers out for his family and children for God to give them peace and comfort during there time of loss.

4. DENNIS RUPE

April 13, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I’LL NEVER FORGET WHEN WE 1ST MET AS KIDS AND KEPT A LASTING FRIENDSHIP THRU OUT ALL THESE YEARS. EVEN THOUGH IT’S BEEN YEARS SINCE I LIVED IN PULASKI, WE ALWAYS SEEM TO RUN INTO EACH OTHER OTHER WHEN I CAME HOME TO VISIT. MICHEL J, YOU WILL BE DEARLY MISSED AND NEVER FORGOTTEN. YOU ALWAYS HAD THAT SMILE AND A LAUGH THAT WOULD MAKE TIME DISAPEAR. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR KIDS AND FAMILY THRU THIS VERY TOUGH TIME. YOU LEFT THIS LIFE WAY TOO EARLY AND I HAVE LOST A DEAR FRIEND. LOVE YA MAN!!

5. Biker Tom

April 13, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I worked with Michael J. at C.V.G. in Dublin & thought he was a super nice guy.I will miss him alot & my deepest condolences go out to his family.

6. Va Girl

April 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I knew Mike only as an aquaintence where he was currently working. When he was at the counter I always made it a point to speak with him because he was such good conversation.

My husband went to school with him and Mike remembered first time he walked into the store from all that way back although they’d not seen each other since graduation. He shouted out, “Hey, didn’t we go to school together?” Mike was ALWAYS so nice to talk to…one of those who never met a stranger per se.

Really sad for his family and friends.

7. BILLY AND GAYLE AKERS

April 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm

MIKE, YOU ALWAYS PUT A SMILE ON EVERYONES FACE. YOU WILL FOREVER BE MISSED!! R.I.P MICHEAL J.

8. Chuck Farmer

April 14, 2012 at 11:58 am

Sarah,

We heard about your tragic loss and wanted to let you know that our thoughts and prayers are with you, Hagan, Shana and family.

With all my love, Dad

“Praying for friends to comfort you, faith to uphold you, and loving memories to help you smile again.”

9. Johnny Melton

April 14, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I cant imagine walking through the rest of my life without seeing you in it. Even when i left for the army and was stationed in Georgia for 9 years When i came home on leave i would always look foward to two things one was seeing family and the other was to see my closest deepest friend J so we could catch up on times and just relax and chill with a man that would make anyone laugh at any time and i could always count on you to make me feel better no matter what the world will never heal from this lose and my heart will never mend after this lost so save a spot for me in heaven so we can catch up on all the good times my familys hearts and prayers go out to you and yours you might be gone but never forgotin

10. KIM WILLIAMS

April 14, 2012 at 9:34 pm

YOU WILL BE MISSED DARNELLE AND BRANDON REALLY MISS YOU THOUGHT THE WORLD OF YOU YOUR YOUNGEST COUSIN BRANDON IS A CARBON COPY YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN OUR HEARTS LOVE YOU